Callista Selkin - Discarded Mask

Beneath The Mask

Breeze-driven clouds of gold and warm pink, pierced by pinprick rays of murky blue moonlight. A hushed undertone of muddy, guilty brown.

Callista sweeps the floor in her new house, given to her by Kho. So much dust tracked in and kicked up in the process of moving everything in. So much work to be done. With her eyes focused on the task at hand, it is her mind instead that wanders.

She’d let her mask slip today. Whether it was slipping on or off, she isn’t sure. Sometimes she wondered what was really her and what was the person she’d been molded to be. Where does Callista Selkin end and Myree Tremene begin? Are they both the same? They both feel equally real. The innocent joy, the outgoing friendliness, the helpful, idealistic Jedi. The timid, quiet servant, the liar, the object, the murderer.

Sometimes the lines are so blurred between the two versions of herself.

“I know which one I prefer.”

Callista’s eyes flash, the colors of the world stain frightful yellow and hateful orange-red, and she snaps her head around to stare at Him. The Headmaster sits at her new kitchen table, hands folded in front of him and with that same smug, superior, slimy smile he always wore in life. “Hello again, my dear Myree.”

Her hands tighten around the broomstick and her pupils narrow. Her knuckles turn white, and in her grasp, the shaft of the broom abruptly splinters and shatters into dozens of fragments. She gasps and flings her hands up and away to protect her face, then trembles and grimaces in pain as she looks down at the slivers of wood piercing her palms and fingers.

The Headmaster maintains his smile. “Oh goodness, but you’ve made such a mess. Although congratulations are in order, I suppose, for finally succeeding at that…oh, what was it she called it…‘Breach’?”

Gritting her teeth against the pain, Callista hurries around to the kitchen sink and runs the water over her shaking hands, slowly tugging out the splinters and shards one by one. The bottom of the basin turns red.

Not even turning to look, the Headmaster chuckles and examines his hands. “You’ve been telling your friends about me…I’m touched, Myree. But shouldn’t you be telling them about yourself, instead? I think that’s much more relevant.”

“Tell them what?” she snaps at last, the final slivers removed from her palms but the bleeding continues. The Force’s healing refuses to come, her efforts too clouded with anger, her mind unable to calm. “That I killed you? They already know. They forgive me for that!”

“Oh, Myree…you told them a partial truth about that…but no, that’s not what I mean,” the Headmaster shakes his head, clicking his tongue disappointedly. “But maybe that just means you’re still playing the game? Perhaps you’re more masterful than I realized…or perhaps you just believe you have the edge. You haven’t forgotten my lessons now, have you?”

“What are you talking about?” Callista glares daggers over her shoulder at the pudgy Lannik, grabbing a towel and pressing her hands into it. “Playing what game?”

Turning around, she gets exactly the answer she dreads as she sees the Headmaster suddenly on the other side of the table, a Shah-tezh demesne board laid out and set in starting position. He gestures welcomingly to the chair opposite him. Begrudgingly, Callista sits.

“Why do you trust her, Myree? When she would invite you to be ‘nothing,’ like she is?” He questions her, gentle in tone but probing and gnawing in intent. He slides a piece on the demesne. “‘Nothing’ is how you started. I worked so very hard, and put so very many resources into correcting that for you, Myree, to put that Jedi parentage to some use. With just a little more time and obedience, I would have made such an incredible Vizier out of the Pawn you were, or an Infiltrator. You were something by the end! You took control, became your own Imperator for just a little while!”

“I don’t need a reason to trust her,” Callista growls, making a move of her own. “I don’t need to explain myself to you!”

“And what if she is using you, Myree?” the Headmaster retorts, his turns on the board effortless and smooth in response to Callista’s every move. “What if she is using you exactly as I used you? Exactly as her master used her? Have you questioned at all why she wants so desperately to find this ‘Artemis?’ Even considered that perhaps her intentions are not for closure, but for collusion? To free her master and toss you aside like an unwanted toy once you’ve fulfilled your purpose?”

Callista’s grey hazel eyes stare through the haze of anger and fear and doubt, not daring to lift from the game board to the Headmaster himself as she shakily makes an uncertain play. He simply laughs, countering swiftly and decisively and taking three of her pieces. “Of course you have; otherwise, I wouldn’t be saying it, would I, Myree?”

He vanishes in a blink of Callista’s eyes, as does the game board, leaving her with bloody hands dripping onto the stone table.

5 Likes

Music: Open Your Eyes

Gentle splashes of sparkling silver and green, shining ripples of bright, softer blues. The dripping of water into the cavern pools in the distance is the only reminder that time still moves, the ticking of the universe’s clock.

The towering clusters of glowing, shimmering crystals in the large chamber at the bottom of the caves give off a cool, soothing light, surrounded by and interacting with a flowing aurora that doesn’t always match the crystals themselves. It is tinged with wisps of shadowed red from the planet itself, whispering through the mix of more harmonious hues but yet not seeming out of place.

Speaking with Seela’Kluub had been enlightening, even for such a short time. She was an unexpected kindred spirit — a former slave, one who had also struggled with doubts and lack of confidence, worries over falling behind. The bond between her and Althea was fascinating to see first-hand, like a resonant shimmer about their auras.

Seela was the first to truly give her an idea of what it meant to deepen her connection to the Force. Others had mentioned such a thing before but left it frustratingly vague. Perhaps that was purposeful, but it had left her blindly groping in the dark for a time. Now she at least had an example of what it was to someone else. Understanding the self. Questioning oneself, finding the right questions at that, and trusting the Force to guide to an answer.

So what questions are the right questions, Callista wonders? She’d been asking herself for so long now who she really was, which parts of her were real, what she wanted…maybe none of those were the right questions.

What about “who do I want to be?” It was something she’d danced close to at times, but always framed more as who she didn’t want to be: a scared little teenage girl, a slave to her past, helpless, emotionally dead. The simple, easy answer would be “a Jedi,” but that didn’t feel quite correct. She is already a Jedi. The commitment is made. On the right track, but not quite dead on. It must be something more specific…or maybe less?

Or something like “what is important to me?” “How do I truly feel?

Thoughts swim like schools of fish through the flowing colors around her, many new questions to ask, and yet…Callista is content to ponder them a while.

4 Likes

Mood Music: Parting Forever

Grief.

Callista languishes in her home on Viscara, staring and seeing nothing with reddened, glazed eyes.

The passage of time seems to come in bursts, her awareness in flashes. One moment she is lying sleeplessly in bed, the next she is curled tightly in on herself in an armchair.

Sometimes, she is collapsed and bawling on the floor.

Cannot sleep - too many dreams, and waking takes him away again. Will not eat - no meal satisfies. Tries not to think - but still it repeats in her mind every time she closes her eyes.

There are few things more awful than being 𝕙𝕠𝕝𝕝𝕠𝕨.

5 Likes

Mood Music: A Town with an Ocean View

Hushed breaths of solemn introspection, not daring to disturb the blue-green lights wafting through the air — the somber wisps of bitter loss and glum guilt mingling with the subtle green motes of growing acceptance, of reluctant peace.

The lights outside the window of Callista’s room at Dac City’s “Elite” hotel on Mon Cala illuminate the ocean depths dimly, creating a faint inward glow contrasting with the otherwise pitch darkness inside. She sits in silence in a chair gazing out that window, her drawing pad forgotten for some hours now on the small table beside her. The briny smell of the ocean that was so inescapable on the surface is entirely absent so far below the waves somehow, replaced by a faint, generically pleasant air-freshener scent that the young Jedi doesn’t care to identify, knowing it will change by morning anyway.

Her “break,” her “vacation,” whatever it might be called, had thus far proven somewhat helpful. Time away from the social worries of Viscara, time away from the suffocating stillness of her house… time in which she could set almost everything aside and just think. Just be. Time in which she could grieve without having to put on a brave face and a false smile and pretend she was alright.

It had barely been a week since the death of Callista’s father when she’d made that ill-fated decision to confront Ira’dana about the increasingly obvious feelings that the Echani had been developing towards her. A decision that had seemed like the right thing at the time, to address the bantha in the room. Instead, it had only made things much, much worse. Callista had misjudged her own emotional stability and with it her ability to responsibly, tactfully handle such a conversation. Now both she and Ira’dana were paying for that mistake.

Now Ira’dana was hospitalized with pneumonia, Althea had told her. A large part of Callista can’t help but feel responsible. Even now, without turning around, she can feel the watchful, judging eyes of her recurring specter, the Headmaster, staring her down from behind, but at this moment she pays him no mind. He has nothing to say that she has not already said to herself. After all, he is nothing more than a figment of her own inner Dark side; her ‘Bogan,’ as Althea had called it.

But now, after another long talk with Seela, she had come to a conclusion. Rather than wallow in shame and mourning, in self-pity for her foolishness, Callista had decided to take advantage of this time alone and put it to good use. She would not sit by like the submissive, broken slave she had been not long ago, but take the initiative. Become again that dedicated, diligent student she had been when Sandra had first taken her in as an initiate. The only way to overcome her shortcomings is to make the effort to do so. It was also, as far as she could determine, the best way she could begin to make up for the pain she had caused Ira’dana. To be better.

And so she had spent the entirety of the past day in meditation and practice, stopping only briefly for food and other necessities. Meditation on her father’s passing, on his lingering presence in the Force. Meditation on her emotions, on her actions. On the Force, and on herself. Answers begin to form for the questions she had started to ask herself in the caves weeks ago.

Compassion and Love — boundless and unconditional. Paired with what he deemed as ‘wisdom beyond her years,’ those were the qualities that Beryn always said would make her a great Jedi, the qualities that gave her a naturally strong “Forge” in which to cast out and burn away darkness. “What is important to me?” she’d considered before. These were the answer. Compassion and Love. Simple, but unquestionably true.

It led straight into the next question, first that she’d asked: “Who do I want to be?” Not just a Jedi. Not just a great Jedi. Not even specifically a Jedi at all, no. The answer, she finds, is hidden away in the mantra taught to her by her master Beryn. “I am the Forge. The Forge is me.” The Forge, built out of bricks formed from everyone she cared for and fueled by the fire of unrelenting compassion and love, the fire that could burn away any darkess fed into it. Not passion, or righteous wrath, but tranquil, peaceful love that might burn bright enough to always guide her back to balance; a love that, ultimately, will always remain even after its subject is gone - a love unbound by attachment.

That is who I want to be, Callista determines. A Forge, a lantern, a beacon to burn away the darkness. Not to vanquish my enemies, but to protect, to guide, to save. I want to be a light, just like Dad used to call me. Big, little, it doesn’t matter.

Thoughts swim slowly like the real schools of fish passing by the window in front of her, and Callista sighs gently, reaching a hand out and pressing it to the transparisteel barrier. The fluttering, flowing lights around her stretch forward through the window into the water beyond towards the fish like a scintillating fountain and she closes her eyes. The pinpricks of green sparkle and swell to match the blues, which start to slowly brighten out of their gloom. “How do I truly feel…?” I’m hurting. I’m upset… but that’s okay. Because I’ll be okay.

The fish outside swirl and swish in the water amongst the invisible glow. Although many carry on their way, a small few linger and remain, looking back at Callista through the window for a short while. She smiles faintly. Her most successful attempt yet.

5 Likes

Mood Music: The Forge

A blaze of warm green, burning away at the pale yellows and dull violets of fear and doubt.

Shining blue foil blades slice through the air around Callista, one after the other in spinning arcs, the staff that Ira’dana had given her, a token to remember the woman she’d been before. Now it is a reminder of her own failures — and her need to atone for them. Her greatest challenges yet are approaching. She can feel it. She’d promised to herself she would be the best she could be… and soon it would be time to test whether she could fulfill that promise.

The Headmaster watches her twirl and slice at the air from the sidelines, his usual condescending sneer replaced with a grimace of displeasure. “Why do you keep this up, Myree? Why don’t you just give up? It’s quite clearly hopeless. You tried to have your cake and eat it too, and now it’s blowing up in your face. Such a selfish thing you are.”

“That doesn’t mean I can’t do better,” Callista answers calmly as she whips the blade about, letting the Force guide her. Fan the flames, strengthen the Forge… “I have to do better. And going back to how you made me is the exact opposite of that. So unless you have anything to contribute that’s actually helpful, please be quiet.”

The Headmaster glowers at her darkly and grumbles, dissipating into her aura again as Callista carries on her practice. Fan the flames, they grow higher. I am the Forge, the Forge is me.

In the midst of her trance of motion, a new figure leaps into being in front of her, seeming to form out of shadowy smoke and foggy, dark colors. Callista’s own face stares back at her dully, almost expressionless, her body clothed in painfully familiar tattered rags but her eyes burning with grim hatred. Callista’s foil blade stops in its tracks, caught in her doppelgänger’s hand.

Don̨’t ̸ignor͠e̶ me,̡” the voice of the dark reflection is dead and spiritless, soft-spoken, yet somehow still frightening in its own way. The voice of Myree Tremene. “I’̷m̷ ̵th̨e ̢o͠nly ̧wa͝y ̴f̸ơrw͢àr͠d.

“No you’re not,” Callista answers readily with determination, pulling the blade back and twirling the other up in its place. Her paler self slips to one side and out of the way. “You’re just the easy way. You wouldn’t be a Jedi at all! Pushing emotions down and never letting them out is not the same as mastering them!”

I͝s̴n’̧t it?͡” Her hand swipes out at Callista in a claw-like grasp to rake at her with her fingernails. The Padawan parries with a spin, and Myree lunges into a low-dipping leg sweep that Callista hops over. “You͝ r҉e͘m͞e̛m͟be͠r̷ w̶ha̧t it ͟w̧as ̧likę. Yo̡u did ̸let͠ ̷you͡r e͘mo͠ti͟ons͢ ̀o̢ut.̛ -Wȩ- d̴id҉. Wi͘th͏ su͜r͢g̸i̢cal pr̴ec͠i͠s͝i̡ón.̴ An̷d ̛w̨e҉ ̀el͢i͠min͏a̸te͘d̴ t̢he p̸r̸o͝blem.̕ N̛ow th͡ere’̷s ̧j̢u̢st́ a̧ ̡n͠ew̕ ̴p̢r͟o͢b̛l̡e͡m.̢

“Ira is not just a problem!” Callista retorts, striking back swiftly only for Myree to duck out of the way once more. “She’s a person, and I care about her! You’re me too, you care about her!”

Y̶ơu͢ kno̧w b̢et̡t́er̷ ̨t̕ha̴n ̛th̶at.̢ ̷I d̶o͏n’̛t͜ c͞ąr̀e̡ ̀ab͏óu͝t ͞a͠n̴yt͡hing. E͡ven dad’s͟ de҉a̕th ̡w͘as no ͜big sh҉oc͞k. A͝ll ̡t̀h̛ąt taĺk͝ ̕wḩįle̴ w͟e g͝r͠ew up ̛àb̷ơút ̵h͜ow͞ ̨aw҉f͢u͞l th̷e ̛D̵a͏rk S͞ide̢ i̸s…͘and l̡o̵o̷k ́w҉here̵ ̛he e҉nde͞d̀ ͘up͘.͘” A snapping palm thrust feint shifting into a grab at Callista’s arm. Callista is just barely able to shove her hand forward and push Myree back, her form disintegrating into multicolored mist only to reform again a few feet back, seeming unfazed. “Whàt͏ ̷abo̢ut ̷H̛ér?̡ Y̢ou͘’͞ll̷ have ̶t̀o ̴c͡hoos͜e so̡o̕n.͜ ̸C̵a͝n yo͠u live͞ wi͝tho̕ut ͢her͞? W̵on’̶t̷ ͝i͢t ̧d̸̵e҉̡s͟t͜r̀͢ơy҉̴ ̧you ju͜st͝ l̴ike yo͏u͞ ͞d́e̢s̛t́ŗoye̢d I̸r͏a’̷d͡aǹa?

Callista shuts her eyes and lets the Force take over again. Cast my doubts into the fire. Cast my fear into the fire. Cast my hate into the fire… The twin-bladed foil zips and jerks in her hands from one spot to another in graceful but near-random, unpredictable movements. Myree dodges and weaves around the attacks one at a time, but she begins to falter against the speed and instinctive strikes. A blue point glides across her thigh, then a blade through her shoulder.

Burn away the Dark within. Reforge the Blade of the Heart.

It is Light. It is Balance. I am one with it.

Myree staggers back, staring ahead at Callista with a deathly gaze, and dashes forward again in a final attempt, both hands grabbing for the Padawan’s throat before she’s stopped in place, held frozen in front of Callista’s outstretched hand. Myree sighs in disappointed defeat, starting to melt away again. “Yes. I can,” Callista tells her. “Because like Beryn says: love isn’t a feeling, it’s a choice.”

As the specter of her inner demons fizzles away invisibly to slink back into her mind, Callista disengages the foil in her hands and slumps to her knees, panting and in a cold sweat, exhausted, but with renewed focus and clarity.

I am one with it.

6 Likes

Mood Music: Night in a mossy hut

Shadowed greens, peaceful grey-blues swirl and dance through the Viscaran wildwoods - a blanket of twisting eddies speckled with periodic stipples of fearful yellow and predatory red-orange like fireflies. A flowing, shifting tapestry telling the story of nature itself.

Callista bathes in the flow as she sits on a fallen log outside the tent she’d set up for the night. The only light to see by comes from the dim glow of her fusion lantern leaking out from the tent, and the faint pinpricks of the moon and stars shining through the canopy of trees overhead. The darkness doesn’t bother her, however, nor does the soft chill of the night. Her eyes are closed and her senses are dulled, her consciousness extending all around her as she concentrates on every detail and every distinct connection from one thing to the next, all through the omnipresent flow.

The practice seems to come more or less naturally, but to refine it will take work. She hears the chirping of the insects through all ears but her own, feels the breezy wind through leafy branches, flutters her feathers in her nest high above. Feeling was the easy part, but Althea had challenged her to sense the connections more deeply still, to understand them.

The trees and bushes and grass feed from the damp soil, and give birth to the air. They are home and a source of food to countless birds and insects and small, chittering creatures, so many of which are nestled into sleep now. A great cycle of symbiotic give and take, and Callista is enthralled by it, giving herself utterly to the Force as much as she can muster to let it show her its mysteries.

It had been hours already, and at times it becomes difficult to carry on such focus - especially when the shivering dread returns. The visions…

The deep, panicked fear - sickening and powerful, lonely and frightened, the kind she hadn’t felt in nearly eight years now. The flashes of a place - a room of some kind, but she cannot tell where. Only brief fractions of detail come to her. Colors, feelings… a pleasant scent. Fountains, perhaps? A cold, uncomforting warmth. Her own reflection, wearing the face of Her but with her head unshaved. Pity.

Betrayal.

Each time, it comes stronger, more insistently, as if the Force is screaming into her ears in warning but too muffled for the words to be recognized. Is it a warning of danger, though, or of an impending trial? Maybe both?

Each time, Callista probes deeply for answers, but invariably comes up empty. No hint of a source, barely any more clarity in what she sees. It doesn’t feel like the Sith are involved, but what if she just isn’t seeing it?

Each time, it fades again, leaving her staring into the dark woods, returned to the physical world. The chirping insects, the scent of her burnt-out cooking fire, the faintly growing light of coming sunrise.

She sighs and takes a drink of water from a flask at her belt, then resituates herself to dive into the Flow once more. She holds out a hand with two fingers extended, and after a time a bird flutters down and perches there, dipping and turning back and forth and peering at her curiously as if asking what she wishes of it. A faint smile crosses her lips.

Progress.

5 Likes

Mood Music: Three Marbles

Drifting shadowy clouds of somber blue, guiltful indigo, and persistent specks of ugly brown dread.

Callista sits in her house, huddled on her couch and staring ahead at her datapad on the table. Her report - admitting everything - sits there in front of her, already sent off.

It is too late to take anything back now.

Whatever happens next is out of her hands…

She dips her head and waits. Not much else left to do.

4 Likes

Mood Music: 牛若丸 (Ushiwakamaru)

A shimmering ring of bright blue, flickering with white and grey and black, with glimmers of green and violet sparking off from it. It is focus and discipline, serenity and compassion, dedication and clarity. It is wisdom and understanding, love not for an individual, but for all things. It is trust in the will of the Force.

It is all of the things Callista desires of herself, that she needs to be the Jedi she wishes to be - that she now feels she must be. It was one thing to say these things, to work towards them, but another to achieve them. It would be difficult, but she must try. She must focus this ring and forge it hard and strong. She must find balance, banish all doubts and fears - cast them into the fire. Simply being a good student would not be enough. She must give this her absolute all. There would be no other way. Whether she is allowed to remain a Jedi or not - this would be her path. Her determination is unshakable in this moment.

She sits in meditation in Althea’s mountain temple, eyes closed but the ring still visible in front of her, shaped by her imagination, a reflection of her own aura as she focuses in on the qualities she most desires to foster. Questions flutter through her mind like silk ribbons. The Code repeats in her mind like a mantra, reasserting its tenets.

There is no emotion, there is peace.
There is no ignorance, there is knowledge.
There is no passion, there is serenity.
There is no chaos, there is harmony.
There is no death, there is the Force.

Hours pass in this way. Only once the Force itself guides her to rouse herself does Callista open her eyes and stand up. She takes a breath and a drink of water, stepping out of the small meditation room and heading towards the saber practice mats. A few stretches later, she begins working more on her acrobatics, repeating movements and stringing them together, enhancing herself with the Force sometimes and other times not. Her body and mind must both be honed.

She falls to the mat time and time again as she tries, but each time she gets up again to make the attempt again. As long as she paces herself, progress will come. It has to. Achieving perfection is impossible, she knows - but now she must chase it anyway. Anything less would be utterly disrespectful.

Hours more of work, breaking only when necessary. More and more often she lands straight, transitions to the next movement fluidly, less and less she tumbles and falls. More and more, the ideal of the ring cements in her mind…along with the surety that the Force will guide her there, if she only lets it.

3 Likes