Archive Submission: Unidentified Saurian species

The following is a report written by me in the aftermath of an excursion on an unidentified world alongside Padawan Sindal and Initiate Dax. Unfortunately, due to the nature of the mission, we were unable to identify which planet this was, or where in the galaxy it was located. While we were there, we encountered an unusual form of sentient life that we agreed should be recorded for posterity; while it is almost entirely likely this was not a first-contact scenario, none of us could identify the species, leading us to believe there may not be many records on them. Should this species be recorded elsewhere in the archives, please add this report as an addendum to that record if there is reason to believe the location we discovered them in is … atypical.

– Initiate Krannah Taren

The report is as follows.

The species we have encountered is a bipedal, Saurian form of life. They had long, hairless tails and two short arms (significantly shorter than their legs). Each hand had three clawed digits. Likewise, they possessed three clawed toes (?) on each foot. Their legs, for lack of a better manner of explanation, look like they were put on backwards except for their feet, which are forwards (their knees bend behind them instead of in front of them). There were two phenotypes we observed in person, but there are presumably more. The differences seemed to be cosmetic only, and affected the color of their scales; there were those with olive scales, and those with azure.

They appeared to have their own language, which was not readily decipherable by us, but Padawan Sindal was able to understand the gist of their meaning with careful channeling of the Force. Likewise, they did not seem to understand any of the languages we or our varied acquaintances attempted to communicate with, including Bocce. They did, however, recognize and were able to reply to gesturing, especially when combined with the Force to give additional visuals to them; Initiate Dax scored a breakthrough in communications with the species when he used the Force in combination with some water from a canteen to visualize a ‘spirit of water’ in the form of an orb, and allowed them to interact with it.

This species had a technology level far below any I have seen in my personal experience (which is not saying much) or in my archive readings; they lacked even the most basic and primitive technologies such as tents, or crude clay buildings. There were zero starships or swoop bikes or speeders of any sort. They wore crude leather and metal clothing, though mostly bare. There was a complete absence of what we would consider to be tech in any form. Their weapons were seemingly crafted by hand using leather, stone, and some crude metal; no vibroblades or blasters of any kind. It was theorized they may not even have a concept of what a blaster may be, as several in our traveling party had brandished them with no reaction on the part of the Saurians.

While we located this species in a desert biome, evidence in the form of testimony by a being that claimed to be a spirit of the Force local to the area, combined with some of the information gleaned by Padawan Sindal’s translating, indicate that the Saurians were not native to the area. While it was not discussed in depth, it was claimed that they had originated elsewhere, and had been forced to move after their home was taken by “colonizers”. It is unclear if this is in reference to them originating from a different part of the planet, or a different planet entirely. Considering the lack of technology in any form, I am personally more inclined to believe they are simply from a different biome of the planet and physically relocated themselves to the desert after some other native fauna encroached on their homes.

I would be remiss not to mention that one of these Saurians was able to wield and feel the Force. While the majority of the tribals we communicated with seemed to believe the Force was magic power stolen from the local “Spirit”, which was the subject of their religious worship, the leader of one of the groups we encountered seemed able to wield it even before interaction with that being. Indeed, it was actively attempting to use the Force to drain the essence of the Spirit when we encountered it. I do not believe the ability to use the Force was conferred upon this individual artificially. Unfortunately, they were rendered deceased by the time we left the planet, and so we have no real way to know for sure. Regardless, should we be able to locate this planet and mark its position in the future, perhaps some Jedi can be assigned to monitoring it for those who can use the Force; perhaps they might be inducted into the Jedi, and we may also facilitate easier communication with the species. Until then, we will not even know their name.