Crises on the Frontier

Throughout the sectors near to Viscara, the war continues to progress. Malak’s Sith Empire grows, chipping away at Republic assets. Whole colonies begin to go dark, all communications cut off. Occasionally, brief distress signals break through Imperial jamming. By the time help arrives, it is all too often too little, too late, as the Republic arrives to either find a far superior force they must retreat from, or naught but debris and a missing populace.

A particular ship has set anchor at the Viscaran Starport, CZ-220. The RSS Javelin, a Republic Hammerhead-Class Cruiser, captained by one Arden Thornton, can frequently be seen undergoing repairs, or responding to threats from Imperial patrols or pirates in the nearby area. Its heavy armament and swift speed earn it some small love from the local populace, as the warship makes an effort to extend the Republic’s protection to the sector. Republic Troopers are a more common sight on the surface, beyond the confines of their base, as they practice drills, patrol for threats and enjoy shore leave, bringing some measure of commerce to local businesses.

A shadow lurks at the horizon, however. Talk of an Imperial Warship, the ISS Zenith, occasionally graces the gossiping lips of soldiers frequenting the cantinas - a Sith Interdictor tasked with extracting the Darth Lord’s tribute from these regions of space. Allegedly captained by a brutal war criminal, Darren Armstead, a former Captain of the Republic who fought in the Mandalorian Wars, and a cadre of Sith Warriors he ferries across the hyperlanes for one nefarious purpose or another, it is believed the Zenith is chiefly responsible for the turmoil in the region.

Some time after the Javelin establishes itself in the region, broadcasts begin to be sent out.

This is Captain Thornton of the RSS Javelin. As many of you know, war edges closer to Viscara with each passing day. This fledgeling colony and its many inhabitants would find themselves as fodder, grease for the cogs of the Imperial war machine as it seeks to dominate all life.

Times are dire, but the Republic will not abandon you to destruction or the chains of Imperial rule. My men and I stand ready to defend you. But toward that end, we ask your help. Many of you have already stood alongside us in opposing the traitor Malak, now I offer you the opportunity to continue doing that.

I hereby announce several bounties.
-First, for the death or capture of the Traitor-Captain Armstead, a bounty of 30,000 Republic Credits is offered. He is preferred alive that he may stand trial for his offenses against Republic citizenry, but such is the nature of war that we are not picky with his condition.

-For the destruction of the ISS Zenith, the Republic offers a bounty of 200,000 Republic Credits to be split among the heroes that would accomplish this. Any who would accomplish this will also be hailed as Heroes of the Republic, and their names put forward for consideration for higher honors.

-Not all victories need be on the battlefield. Skilled individuals seeking to be of use to our war effort are welcome to come forward. Whether you can procure raw materials, manufacture the tech needed to wage war, repair or modify a ship, or some other skill we have not thought to ask for, we would hear from you, and we would offer you generous reward for service.

-Finally, our enemy preys on us in the dark. Those who can bring forward information on our enemy’s plans, their capabilities, their weaknesses - your information could save countless lives. The enemy’s home port, their supply lines, and more are sought.

Some days after that message is sent, another is received.

This is the “Traitor-Captain” Armstead, as some have referred to me. I will be brief, for I am not one to grovel and beg like the Republic has been reduced to. Nor am I one to have others fight my battles.

This galaxy is ours. Your system is ours. Your planet is ours. You are ours. We own you, and we will come to collect if need be.

Your choice is if you will join us willingly and bask in the glory of a new era, or if you will stand in our way and be crushed under heel.

So I offer you this chance. Serve the coming age, or rot and die alongside the Republic. We do not relish the idea of having to purge the noncompliant, but we will not hesitate.

Now is the time to declare your loyalty to us. To do so now will be richly rewarded. To do so later may mean it is too late.

A gilded era of peace and prosperity, or ash and ruin. Decide.

Long live the Emperor.