Death & Respawn

Having died for the first time a few days ago, it felt like the death & respawn had been neglected. Personally, I am used to some sort of mechanic or journey upon death, usually this involves traversing some sort of afterlife and talking to someone or something and finding out about how the dying/respawn mechanic works. So, it was quite abrupt to find myself waking up in front of a computer terminal in the starting station with my pistol still in my hand.

So I’ll just make a few suggestions.

1. Upon death teleport to an obscure “dream like” area. Soft lights, strange colours, some small references to the cultural aspects of all of the player supported races, so that whatever race you choose you have some sort of shared experience, but it could be explained away as an unconscious experience after you character wakes up.

2. Some sort of alignment based (Good, neutral, evil) nebulous entity to talk to, who explains if there will be any repercussions for dying/respawning (if anything is in place at all, I didn’t notice anything).

3. Some sort of short timer to prevent/discourage immediate respawn - I understand there are rules in place to stop people from going back to take revenge on PVP death, but I feel that there should always be some things in place for people to reflect that death isn’t just some sort of trivial thing that can be disregarded or ignored because it’s inconvenient.

4. Unequip weapons on death. It is a little jarring and immersion spoiling to wake up and get out your weapon as soon as you stand up.

5. If no respawn point set, respawn at a med centre on the current world you inhabit. I wonder what would happen if I travelled to another planet after I left the starting station, but then died, would I go back to the starting station if I had set my respawn point at that terminal thing? Seeing as there does not seem to be any respawn penalties, is it possible to use suicide as a convenient OOC travel system?

idk bro that doesn’t sound very Star Wars-y to me

Agreed, yeah. All of that honestly sounds very much something more built for a fantasy server like Forgotten Realms or otherwise. Not something I’ve seen in use on many servers either, myself.

Definitely would feel very counter-intuitive to the setting here. Especially since I don’t believe that’s actual “death” anyways. Since… death in Star Wars generally means… death. No coming back from that. Haha!

At best, I could say maybe a brief combat log message mentioning what mightve happened could be helpful, but far from necessary to me.

1 Like

Yeah there’s “Force Ghosts” or whatever but what are the odds of Ji’nara The Random Twi’lek sitting through a lecture Jedi Master Peter’s Force Ghost about how to reincarnate?

I don’t see the problem of waking up in a chop shop and not leaving until you pay the organ man

XP debt is a pretty good deterrent against dying. I think it’s important not to ‘punish’ people who’re just levelling up and trying to learn the module, but at the same time have something in that stops people just using it as a fast teleport.

At present, XP debt isnt that big a deal if you’re levelling up (you’ll clear it in like 1-2 fights) but as a max level you’ll need to go and either a few gather T5 nodes, kill sand demons, that sort of thing, which is just a pain in the backside and a good incentive to not die for max levels.

Feel like its working as intended tbf. And you wake up at the hospital where you last registered at a medical terminal… so it’s like, your health insurance or whatever?

And while max levels dont need XP gain to level up anymore, they do need to clear it if they ever want to spent their RPXP, so its still a big deal :slight_smile:

1 Like

Haha, I love Forgotten Realms, and Star Wars is a fairytale set in space after all :racehorse: :crossed_swords::slight_smile: however I meant “alignment” as a general term for your character’s moral compass, I was simplifying it as you are either a good person, neutral, or wicked/evil, but you could use any terminology, even light side or dark side because the force permeates all things in the universe even if someone isn’t attuned and able to manipulate it. Not so much a specific force ghost, because that would be very Jedi/Sith specific, but I imagine all races in the Star Wars galaxy would have had a concept of an afterlife, or something in between where you may go if you are near death/have died.

My idea was that when you “die” or drop below -10 HP, you are really unconscious, and you have slipped into some “other state”/near death experience. The means in which you leave the area, and “respawn” at your medical facility, can be explained as you were found and were rescued somehow.

It’s true, Star Wars is Science Fantasy rather than Science Fiction. But like, it’s a completely different kind of fantasy to stuff like D&D. Just kinda feels like a system like that would feel very “off” for something like this, at least to me. No reason why it couldn’t simply just be a combat log message that mentions you were found and taken back. Not really any need to have a larger system in play, that goes through a pseudo-alignment based “near death” area like that.

I’m not a DM or anything, mind you. But just my two cents on this stuff. It really feels like it would also strip away some of the fun of things, to have to go through an arbitrary extra zone when dead, just to respawn in the exact same way it already does. Just padding being added to something that really doesn’t much need it, imo.

1 Like