[DM RedMenace} The Batttle of Lantillan Cutscenes

The aura of the Lantillies palace was heavy with dread. Troopers stood to attention, staring directly forward as they flanked the Lantillian throne. They dared not move their eyes elsewhere, lest they drew his attention. Lord Akann sat on the high seat, slouching with boredom as a nervous officer rattled off a report he cared little about. The man’s stammering irritated him, distracting him from what was, he was sure, very important information about the ongoing war in his sector.

“Republic forces have occupied the Uyter sector and taken up positions along the length of the Randon Way. Our patrols have engaged their reconnaissance parties on sight, but there have been no significant exchanges.” The officer paused, swallowed, a building anxiety within him. “…Save one. The reinforcements for the defenders at Uyter were waylaid, but a single fighter pilot managed to escape the ambush.”

Akaan let out a long hum in thought. There was an order he gave out when his rule of the Lantillian sector began. To die as warriors, not live as cowards. There was an expectation of him here now, one that he was loathe to indulge. “The stubbornness to survive is not without merit… He may live. However, my army is not for the weak.”

The officer exhaled with surprise, a lightness to his voice as he responded “At once sir, he will be reassigned to another sector as soon as possible! As you say this empire is no place for cowards who count their lives more precious than the cause”

“Indeed! We have no need of cowards.” Akaan smiled, standing out of his throne, stepping toward the officer. The officer’s relief faded, and his nervousness grew once more. Then, with a flash of red, Akaan cut him down. The man barely had time to register what had happened as the lightsaber cleaved him in two. Akaan turned to the others standing in his court, their shocked and horrified staring back at him. “Cowards, who defer critical missions to their subordinates – who hide within their offices, never meeting their opponents in battle, never staring into the whites of their eyes.” Akaan moved the saber slowly, letting its ominous thrum echo through the large empty hall. The troopers stood straighter, trying to contain their panic that they would be next.

Akaan looked to his remaining officers, speaking up his usual cold malevolence. “By my order, you are to wage war against these invaders. You are to divest all of your resources into this war. Everything in this sector is to fuel the war machine. And when the situation calls for it, you will die as Warriors. Do I make myself clear?”

The troopers all, in unison salute “Yes my lord!” they declare, then quickly scamper out to fulfill their orders, grateful to have escaped Akaan’s wrath.

Akaan sat back down in his throne and slouched again. He would not have to wait long now, he thought to himself. His prey will arrive soon.

2 Likes

Sunchaser hated prisons. To rob a man of the freedom to even look at the stars, they were a testament against everything he stood for. But while he was an idealist, he wasn’t an idiot. He understood their necessary purpose. No matter how good at its core a system was, there would be those seeking to subvert it, and if prison was off the table then the only recourse for these people would be to let them go free, and subvert the system again, or death. Sunchaser hated prisons, but he hated executing people more.

“Do you know what the sentence for treason is?” Sunchaser asked his prisoner.

“Death.” Shastis responded, without an ounce of hesitation.

Sunchaser sucked on his teeth, forcing down his instinctive response. What was he even doing here? Clear Sky would handle his interrogation, he was just torturing himself by facing him now.

“Is that it? All you wanted to do? Remind me that I’m dead?” Shastis mocked, leaning against the wall he sat against.

“Why?” the word left Sunchaser’s lips before he even registered it in his head.

“Why what?”

“Why Akaan.”

Shastis fell quiet, a slight look of shame crossing his expression. “He was who I was assigned to. That’s all.”

“You were assigned as a cadet. Now you’re his right hand man.”

Shastis stared at the ground, not responding.

“You did everything he told you to do.”

Silence.

“You slaughtered thousands.”

Silence.

“All for a Mandalorian, the kind who killed your mother!”

Fury flared in Shastis’ eyes “She has nothing to do with this!” he cried.

The same fury awoke in Sunchaser, who also cried out “She has everything to do with this!”

A sharp voice cut through the rising tension like a knife. “James.” a sternly said word from Clear Sky, who now stood in the doorway. Clear Sky and Sunchaser locked eyes, an unspoken communication between them. Sunchaser took the hint, storming out of the room.

Sunchaser hated prisons

2 Likes

Initiating Scan

Scanning

Scanning

Scanning

Unit RT-8B finds no signs.

Processing

Processing

Processing

Unit RT-8B can not find soul.

Soul Existence…

Processing

Processing

Processing

Creator said Unit RT-8B has a soul

Soul merely not found yet.

Initiating Scan

Scanning

Scanning

Scanning…

1 Like

When Rateel woke up the first thing she tried to do was escape. This was, of course, a failure. The Jedi were just as good at making a sturdy cage as they were at gilding them.

All of her possessions had been confiscated, including her clothes. The robes they had given her to wear were… embarrassingly Jedi. She stared at herself in the mirror. She almost looked the part. Were it that simple.

Every day one of the temple guards came by with a meal. Rice, with meat. Chicken, Pork, sometimes fish. Always unseasoned. The Jedi’s method of torture, no doubt.

Boredom was her main enemy here. There was a place to meditate, that seemed to be all they expected her to do.

Rateel discovered a writing desk. That was something, better than meditating at least.

Now the Rice was undercooked. This really was torture.

To pass the time Rateel thought about her place in the galaxy. She was so certain she was going to change it, so certain that she would be the one to unite it under a peaceful rule. She would learn all of Akaan’s strengths. All of his weaknesses. And then, she would lay him low like the Mandalorian dog he was. But that’s not what ended up happening, instead she was in here, thinking about what could have been Meko hadn’t meddled with her life once more.

Rateel had taken to writing her thoughts every hour. She noticed that around lunch time they became dreadful.

While meditating one day, Rateel thought about attempting an escape once again. It would be easy now, she knew the schedules of temple guards, she could find a way to get out. She decided against it.

The temple guard entered with the bowl of undercooked rice and unseasoned chicken. Rateel put her foot down. “I’m not eating that.”

The temple guard looked at her, and while their mask hid their emotion Rateel could feel the guard’s concern through the Force. “Is all okay? If you are refusing to eat then…”

“The food’s quality is subpar.”

“Ah…” The temple guard seemed slightly amused. “We have a new member of the agricorps working in the kitchens here.”

“Take me to the kitchens then. I’ll show him how it’s done.”

“Very well” responded the temple guard. Rateel sensed a measure of satisfaction from the masked figure, and began to realize that perhaps she had been played somehow.

1 Like

Chaos took the streets of Lantillies City. A brazen, public assassination attempt on the Viceroy, out of control fires spreading through the city streets and Sith Troopers patrolling about, seizing anyone unlucky enough to be caught out on the streets and taking them in for ‘questioning’. Maxin repeated her little mantra to herself. “Stiff upper lip. Earn another pip. Then one day you’ll get your own ship.” a terrible rhyme, and an even worse policy, it may as well be “Keep your head down and your mouth shut.” And yet, since Shastis was captured, she was now the Viceroy’s left hand, keeping her mouth shut was no longer an option.

She approached his chamber anxiously. Surely, she thought, he would be furious. An attempt on his life, and the perpetrators all escaped? It was an embarrassment, and someone’s head would have to roll for it. As she crossed the threshold, she quietly prayed to the Force that it wouldn’t be hers.

“Maxin, good. You’re here. We have much to discuss.” Akaan greeted, his helmet slung under his arm, revealing his pleased expression.

His smile confused Maxin, this was the man who executed those who deserted the battlefield. The man who sacrificed entire towns to his war machine. And yet here he is, after the biggest failure his garrison had performed, and he was smiling. “My Lord, please forgive the failure of-”

“Come now, Maxin. There was no failure. That speech could not have gone any better if I do say so myself…”

Maxin’s confusion deepened. “But my lord, the assassins…”

“My guests of honour! Why, I invited them myself.” Akaan stepped over to his hanging suit of armour and ran a hand over the now lightsaber scorched cuirass. “And while they did not perform as well as I had hoped… their next attempt will surely not disappoint.”

Maxin gripped her datapad tightly, his revelation shaking her. The city was currently burning, and he was pleased? She mentally repeated the mantra. Stiff upper lip. Earn another pip. One day you’ll get your own ship.

Akaan then spoke up again. “But of course, that is the future. We must discuss the now. Send a message to our soldiers on Phaseera and New Ralltiir. They are to use purge tactics on the native populations, flush out any and all spies, and take no second chances. If anyone resists even slightly, make an example of them.

“My lord…” Maxin found herself voicing concern before she could think better of it. Too late now, she had to choose her next words carefully. “Our preliminary searches show no sign of Republic presence on those planets… They’re currently consolidating control of Dulathia.

“I am aware. It is not the Republic that do this for, but for the Jedi.”

“The Jedi, my lord?”

Akaan closed his eyes, his back stretching as he seemed to bask in some long-forgotten memory. “In the Mandalorian Wars I fought many Jedi, they amused me for a time but none truly satiated me. But then I slew a Padawan in front of her Knight, and the power she then presented to me was nothing short of exquisite. No thoughts, no distractions, merely the pure intent to lunge upon me, bite down on my throat and feel the warmth fill her mouth and run over even as she drunk deep.” Akaan exhaled, pulling himself from the reminiscence and stared at Maxin. “I long to feel such a joy again. Now go, do not delay it for me any longer.”

Maxin briskly walked to her desk, she knew the depths the Empire had to sink for their mission. She knew that the Sith drove themselves mad for the strength needed to reshape the galaxy. But this, she thought, was too much. Too needless. She attempted to repeat her mantra, but the only one should could muster was “Keep your head down and your mouth shut.”

2 Likes