Fish and How to Catch Them, Volume 1 - By Morgan Rieger

So you’ve just picked up your first fishing pole and a box of bait and you’re off to the nearest lake to see what you can fish up? It’s a great hobby and whether you’re doing it to survive or just for relaxation it really pays to learn the ways and tricks of the trade and that’s what I hope these notes will impart.

First off we start simple with the eponymous Moat Carp. You might already be familiar with these, as you can find them almost anywhere and they aren’t tremendously difficult to catch, and they taste great slow-roasted. However, like all fish, as you’ll soon learn, they do have their habits and preferences. You’ll get the most luck fishing these with any simple, grade one fishing rod paired with some worm bait around the Lake area on Viscara.

Next off we’re going to speak about the Lamp Marino. I’ve heard a lot of beginners having trouble with these because it’s likely one of the first fish you’re really gonna have to learn a new skill to catch. Marino’s love flies and fly fishing is an acquired skill. You’ll find them easiest to catch using a Bamboo rod for it’s flexibility paired with any sort of fly lure, but the real skill is in the technique. These rub shoulders with the carp and you’ll find them mostly around the Lake area on Viscara.

Now that you’re starting to learn the ropes you might want to become a master of the lake on Viscara, and to do that you’d want to catch the Viscara Urchin. Crafty prey, though they are easiest caught using either a Bamboo rod, or a Carbon one if you’re fancily inclined, paired up with some Insect balls. I’ve also had some luck using Lugworms. As I said, you’re going to find these around the Lake areas on Viscara as well.

Some would say that the Denizanasi is one of the rarer, harder to find fishes on Viscara but if you’ve been paying attention up until this point then you know that really, there’s just a knack to it. The Deni’s don’t like the darkness, and I’ve only ever seen them biting during the daytime. For these ones, that’s the biggest secret. You’ll be able to catch them any grade one fishing rod and I recommend using Trout ball for your bait as these fish are carnivorous.

Moving on to brighter pasture, we’ll talk about just some of the common fare available on the ocean planet, Mon Cala. First we’ve got the Cobalt Jellyfish, one of the trickier quarries to make this list. Due to their weight and their tendency to avoid the coastline, you’re going to need a Carbon rod for this one, no substitutes I’m afraid. Once you’ve got that you’re going to want to get yourself some Drill Calamary as these jellyfish are predators, though I’ve heard other sea fish may work too. I’ve had the most luck finding these in the deeper water surrounding the entrance to Dac City, myself.

The second Mon Cal addition to this list is the Cala Lobster, a timeless classic. You can find these all over, but I’ve had the most luck around the Coral Isles using my Bamboo rod. These little critters are mostly bottom feeders, so you’re gonna want to use some Insect balls for bait, though they said they go crazy for crayfish too.

This time you better pack your snow boots and a winter jacket, because we’re off to frozen Hutlar. That’s right, there’s fishing on Hutlar. Good fishing, too, if you know where to look. This time we’re going to talk about the Bibikibo. These can be found primarily in the pools out in the Qion Foothills and you’ll have no problem catching them using your Bamboo rod and some Calla lures, they love those things.

The last fish to make this list isn’t so difficult to catch, as it is to find, and if you’ve made it this far I would recommend extreme caution in going after this one, but if you’ve the bug for fishing like I do, then you know there’s really no choice. The Dathomir Sardine. Not… even a particularly nice fish, but incredibly difficult to find. I’ve only ever found these out in a Tribal Village on Dathomir, far beyond the jungle and even the desert, nestled away amongst some mountains in the west, you’ll find it. However, beware the local inhabitants, they are typically hostile and might require a lot of convincing in order to let you fish on their lands - but if you can make it there, and find the fishing spot, then you’re going to want to bring your Carbon rod for this one, and plenty of Trout balls, because going back to the speeder for more bait isn’t really going to be an option for this one.