Fish and How to Catch Them, Volume 2 - By Morgan Rieger

Well, I suppose I’ve got you on the hook, huh? This time we’re going to talk about some more basic fish that can be found and caught in the local systems, so grab your rod bag and tackle box, because we’re going fishing.

The first fish I want to talk about is the Hamsi. These little nippers are great in a broth, but you’re going to need your Carbon rod to catch them. I’ve personally had the most luck getting them using some Shrimp lures in the opening to the Jungle just past the outer coral isles on Mon Cala, but they seem to be a lot more active at Night, so take that into consideration before planning your fishing trip.

Next up we’ve got the Senro Sardine. They’re pretty common around the Mon Cala Isles, but from here on out you’re really going to be wanting to be using a Composite rod. Pair that up with a lure the fishermen commonly refer to a ‘Rogue Rig’ (Don’t worry if you can’t make these yourself - you’ll be able to buy really nice ones pre-made at the tackle store!) and you’ll be packing cans in no time.

Now I’ve got two more fish that you can find in the Qion Valleys on Hutlar, the first one is the Bastion Sweeper. These thick-browed chunkers just can’t resist a good Calla lure, they’ll scoff them up all day long - and like I said, Composite rod all day long for the sweepers.

The second fish of the Qion Valley I want to discuss is the Istvarit. They can be slightly tricky to catch, but I like to use some Lizard lures on my Composite rod. The only problem we’ve got is, Bastion Sweepers also love the Lizard lures. The trick to catching Istvarit’s is that they only like to come out at night, so if you limit your fishing to the night-time then you’re going to have a lot better chances fishing them up instead of the sweepers. I’ve heard some fishermen say they prefer to use Sliced Cod for bait, but I’ve never really had any issues with the Lizard lures myself.

Now we’re taking it back to Viscara to talk about one of the planet’s favourite delicacies - the Greedie. These things can easily feed a whole family, especially some of the giant ones - and luckily for you, as their name suggests, they aren’t actually that difficult to catch either! Composite rod for this again, and you’re going to want to pair it up with some fresh Sardines for bait. Then take yourself out to the Viscara Lake and try not to catch too many of the greedy karkers at once!

The second Viscaran entry on our list is one you’ve probably heard before, but you might not know it’s name. It’s the Copper Frog of the Wildwoods. It’s almost impossible to pass through the woods at Night without hearing their call, but to catch them you’re going to want to use a Composite rod and some Fly lures. Keep your lure skimming across the surface of the river and they should be yours in no time, if you’re struggling to see your lure, try positioning yourself somewhere where the moonlight illuminates the surface of the water.

Back to Hutlar, and this time into the Tundra to find ourselves some Yellow Globes. If you can break through the ice or find a spot that’s flowing, these huge, bloated luminous fish’ll make a pretty good stew, if you can get over the appearance which some would call ‘unappetizing’ to say the least. Your trusty Composite rod and some Sardine balls will have them jumping out onto the ice for you.

Another Hutlar native of the Qion Tundra is the Muddy Siredon. This one is a bit of a break from the others, because you’re going to need to get yourself an Ebisu rod. I know - I know, those things aren’t cheap, but to land one of these monsters you’re going to need it. Once you pull one out of the icy water you’re going to know what I mean, with ridges and crests all over it’s mottled brown body these things can really weigh in. I’ve had a lot of luck using Lugworms to land these behemoths, but some say that a sinking lure will get right down into the bottom where they like to scavenge for food.

For the final two entries in this edition we’re going deep, very deep into the jungles of Mon Cala, far beyond where we talked about finding the hamsi’s. There’s a cave by a waterfall and within you’ll find bodies of water from which to fish - here you’ll find the reclusive Ra’Kaznar Shellfish. It took a while to figure out, but they only seem to really like bugs, Giant Shell Bugs, to be specific. I almost broke my composite rod trying to land one, so you’re going to need to bring out the Ebisu for these as well, but the Ra’Kaznar Special they make with these on Mon Cala is a delicacy that shouldn’t be passed on lightly.

The last fish on this list is going to be the Mackerel. Now, believe it or not, these are on the same path as the shellfish, but you’re going to want to keep pushing through the caves until you reach an eerie swamp. Try to avoid the tentacles as you slip a Sabiki Rig onto your Ebisu rod and fish the bracken waters, but if you manage to, these’ll make a hearty meal to impress even the most picky of eaters.