Gating RP

Now this sever has many good things to it, but it also has a large number of ways to seclude players. Heres some that come to the front of my mind, feel free to add more if you think of any. This needs to be fixed if you wanna create a server that is social rather then another WoW.

1. Apartments vs Houses.

Yes I know your all gonna scream -Houses should be special snowflakes that you have to work hard to get- and you know what, they already are, they can be 5x bigger then any apartment, if you own it can have multiple drills on the land gathering resources, can have a second house to run a large crafting house out of, can have your own space dock, can make it public or private…how many special snowflakes does a private owned house need? My suggestions to this? Open up Apartments to setting it public, and allow us to set them as crafting points if we want to. Houses already have enough perks for owning the land for it, they don’t need this too only subject to them.

1. Jedi vs Non Jedi (or those that don’t make it)

As I have been told, the Jedi are in a position to be picky as hell with whom they take on (they really aren’t and wont be very soon in accordance with where the server is going). This leads to people not playing Jedi/Dark Jedi feeling extremely left out and with nothing to do. If your not involved in the immediate plot, have fun twiddling your fingers over in your corner. This is becoming more and more of a thing over the past few weeks since I joined. Yes I acknowledge DM time is limited. But so is doing anything on this server that doesn’t require DM assistance. More needs to be opened up either quest wise or plot wise that can include non Jedi and their associates. Heck I have seen Walessa and myself and Hriste and Lucas struggle to find reasons to log in, and I AM a Padawan, other then Nulaa once a week or two weeks…there is next to nothing for any of my characters to do other then struggle to death to find crafting materials and well…after 100+ hours…that is boring as all hell.

1. Crafting - As it stands…crafting is the most broken and boring as hell task to do. Spend 50+ hours finding the right components to spend god knows how long to break it down and refine it into better to then craft it and HOPE it works out. Yeah that’s entirely broken…please ask Mithreas about the Arelith crafting system and try to implement that…I usually love the crafting system…this one I personally hate.

2. Space travel to other planets - I wont push on this much as I know Miskol has been working on this…but this needs to be updated as soon as its ready, sitting and waiting for a ride when and if its ever possible while your friends are on Mon Cala is a PITA.

Apologies if this sounds harsh, I want the server to succeed, this is just areas it really needs to be fixed to make it even better.

3 Likes

I am willing to get some dark Jedi/Sith stuff going with Amon and Sunset if they and a DM or 2 are willing to play ball! My time is increasingly very limited though. :C

I also have a bunch of golden age/old republic era lore books that talk about the legends continuity taking place in this part of the campaign which the server is based around so if you want other adventure hooks there are tons. Right after the Mandalorian Wars is a very interesting time for chars to RP in across the board!

1. I agree that apartments should be available for public toggling.
  2. Jedi. I have no strng feeling on this in either direction as I don’t have a force user.
  3. I personally have been enjoying the crafting system. But perhaps some “batch” crafting could be considered?
  4. I will admit. Paying the docking fee does dissuade me from using my ship as a taxi service.

Adush currently with a large tower owns 2 houses, one a workshop and one a house, both maxed out for max crafting and max rp xp, 2 drills and a dock all tied to 1 tower…this is how OP this actually is.

Not really…360 fuel every 3 days…most players already have a mass stockpile so they will NEVER run out.

I believe mine is a large tower which holds 2 drills, 2 houses and a dock

You raise some good points.

I’m definitely all for opening apartments for public access.
I’m admittedly a bit torn about crafting… the main problem being that most quality materials require players to own land. Crafting itself isn’t too bad in my opinion, though.
Space travel is defintely an issue for anyone not playing in prime time and that will need to be addressed.

2 Likes

I’m pretty sure you can set your apartment to be open to anyone. Wasn’t Cat’s Bar open to the public?

I agree about crafting. Its a horrible bore and a chore, super tedius. But I’ve never been a fan of crafting on any server. For me, crafting is like a bonus feature. But on SWLOR, crafting is a necessity to stay relevant and build your character. If we dont have a walessa, or a kho, then we’re pretty SOL.

I also agree about how you can only get good mats through drilling. I don’t like having to spend my time running a drilling empire, but its the only way i’m going to get good mats so I can get the good gear I want. It’s a complete PITA. I’d much rather be doing happy fun RP

Space system would be fine if we could just get an npc that can send us back and forth. I find my mechanical growth pretty stuck because I don’t have a ship, and sylia’s not the type of person who would own one, so I dont have her get one. But it would still be nice to visit these other places. It gets pretty discouraging when I go days asking people to take me to mon cala to train, and keep getting told no, too busy, doing other stuff, dont feel like it, whatever, and then find out they went with someone else a day or two later and never thought to ask me if I wanted to go. the only way I can ever get to mon cala currently is if I happen to be around while someone else suddenly decides they want to go, and then just hitch a ride with them, but then once I’m there, I usually end up getting stranded, so would be really nice to just not have to depend on other people to go there.

I’m pretty sure apartments can’t be set to public access. At least I haven’t been able to…
It’s possible to sort of fake it, by giving every indivual character access but that’s a workaround at best and it requires the character to be online.

As far as resources go, I really think material bonus properties need to be restricted to +1 in general (with the exception of durabilty) and be made more rare. Bonuses on equipment should be left mainly to mods.

1 Like

I think both of those are good alternatives

The problem is that the bonus properties make some mods virtually useless and quite frankly I see only a few possible ways to combat that. One would be to restrict them to +1 or as an alternative disallow stacking them.
An other possibility would be to give vendor bought gear more mod slots to make it a viable alternative to crafted stuff.

I also wanna agree with how jedi-centric stuff is currently. I know my character is kinda lacking direction right now as well as another non-jedi player I talk to often feels neglected by dm attention and assisted growth. I think there are a lot of people that might even appreciate an option for a grey jedi character progression

And yet they are outclassed by stacking material bonus properties, since they are limited by slot type.

Enhancements need to get looked at as well, I agree.

Ore can be harvested pretty reliably if you put the investment into it. Scanning up increases the chance of high quality ore and harvesting up increases the chance of getting +3 ore off high quality vains. You basically need to complete sets to do it reliably but it’s doable.

The main plot actually was never focused around force users or Jedi, it just appears that way because of how the player base at the time interacted with events. The Jedi though are a part of the republic, which just took over. If you want plot for non force users and ways to interact with Jedi outside the norm then help or join the republic. That’s a whole realm of relevance and the GM’s have been trying to get players into it several times now. Those who want a darker/alternative path have the means with things like the cartel/exchange and sometime soon to appear sith empire, which will have things for both force and non force users.

Events have been slow sure but it’s a very small team currently. Gotta give them some breathing room else they will burn out and we get nothing overall. We should be the main driving force of the story between events, so if things are dull it is more our faults for not doing interesting things. Get more community things going, Amon has a tournament listed for example. Use hubs for things unless you need to go elsewhere. No use sitting in your privet area all day, if you think there isn’t enough hubs talk to someone. Most land owners can help you with a building or 3 for this purpose. And land is designed for multiple people to use not one. It would be nice to see more communities form around towers for things.

I know last and this week I have been super busy so barely been on but things will change soon. Anything rp related is really our fault as I said but we can put the effort into changing it. We need more stories not tied to plots and dms so that we arnt as reliant on them, we also need more DM time focused on groups instead of individuals so more is done with less. It also frees up GM’s for more events in general and less running around.

The systems are a mess currently but give it time, there are small amounts of people work on that, I think it’s only 2 currently and that is a lot of work for two people. If you wish to do points on design features then I suggest you make a detailed form post on that specific one, so others can see and it’s easier for zunath to go over then a post with multiple. I have been working on a possible solution to the crafting problem myself which keeps in line with the vision of the server.

I know suggestions are nice guys, just if we organise them better they will be used better.

1 Like

While I do understand and semi agree with you on some things Althea, you throw that we should do more ourselves, but honestly so much is gated that requires DMs that we cannot do specific rp tasks until such time as a DM is available to proceed. Ira for example, yes she can get some lessons from you or Lucas, but her Jedi stuff cannot continue without Pilgrim at all. It requires them to proceed her story. Adush’s plot narrative, requires Naia to proceed due to something I cannot reveal here. Both of these chars are 100% stuck until the DMs have the time to work with them.

I do attempt to involve other players, some will not be involved due to the aspects of the RP, some get right involved. Such is how things go. Though when your rp literally requires a DM to progress, you can only twiddle your thumbs so long before it gets boring, I do not blame the DMs for this…they have a real life too, and they get tired of it too. Or computer stuff happens and crap.

I also stand by the issue that if you want anything really really good, go hunt 50 million pieces of ore…by the way it has to be super specific pieces of ore, because there is no value in any other materials…Mando plates are still second rate to the ores. The only time I use fabrication? To build someone an apartment. There’s just no point, I gave up the crafting bit because its stupidly tedious unless you wanna spend 50,000,000,000 hours mining and refining. If you wanna diversify it, make it so different ore creates different levels of armor, and leathers not ore are required for cloth armors, as it stands, its not a crafting system…its a 1 tiered system of do it this way…or fail and just let someone better then you do it rather then waste your time, their time and the resources.

Your whole argument is based on things needing to be done by dm’s but there is more you can do without them. If you are training how are they training? If it is all done off screen you are losing a lot of opportunities for RP with other players. What are they doing between training? They have a life outside of being taught as a padawan, what are their hobbies? What do they do for fun? What do they do because they’re interested in it? If plot isn’t being progressed then have other stories that are being told in the mean time that can progress your character in other ways. The DM’s aren’t needed for everything your character can do, and they shouldn’t be either. I would say that the problem you’re running into is that you’ve put too much progression in their hands and not enough in your own, I could be wrong but that’s the impression I am getting.

On the ore I get it, it’s dull and there’s no other way currently. I’m just giving alternatives in how to speed things up, you don’t need to hunt as much when almost every vain gives you +3, and even if it’s not ore you need it might be ore someone else needs. If you fight the way the system works you’re not going to get anything out of the system. Yeah it needs improvements but complaints and pointing to something else isn’t going to fix it, the server wasn’t designed to be like Arelith so it’s not going to do things like Arelith. There was a vision in mind and while it might not be working as intended it is still being worked on.

No, its to the point, there is next to nothing to do. Which I have even told Zunath at this point, I hate the crafting system, I am not even gonna lie about it. Crafting I would rather just quit the server first if that’s all there is to do, finding RP most times is next to impossible. I did mine for almost 3 weeks of doing next to nothing but endless grinding, and teaching…teaching is gone…so its either grinding which I am so sick of its not funny…or crafting, which I hate…so my options become stupidly limited.

Can only RP with myself for so long…which I have spent 6+ hrs back to back to back doing. So again tell me what I am doing wrong because it is stupidly boring at this point unless a DM does something because nothing at all is changing.

1 Like

I’m kinda not really doing anything because while the Jedi players are doing their Jedi thing I kept getting handed “your best isn’t good enough”, “this isn’t for you”, “don’t bother” and conflictingly “keep trying”. It was quite frustrating. Now I’m just mining and farming things for money because I’m told that a ship costs around 20k in credits. I thought maybe getting a ship to be more self reliant would be a good idea.

People resent somebody dependent on a DM for linear progress, right?
So I tried out some Sith stuff too and realized without DM gated access to Korriban that kind of wont happen either.

Instead I ended up doing a martial arts subplot with Amon because everybody kinda dropped the ball?
There’s very few people around anymore right now so we team up sometimes those of us who are on at the same time to try and have some sort of RP.
I don’t mind crafting… I just mind feeling frozen and unable to character progress, and the divide between the haves and have nots.

I could swing my cyborg Zain into a villain maybe… somebody who resented how he was treated enough to go nuts… but that doesn’t feel right either.
I’m thinking what I want to do is present a flawed hero who will never be perfect but can be damned good at a few things enough to make people go slack jawed and rub their eyes a little bit.

I’m also willing to contribute content although I may have my devices and access to NWN taken away from me involuntarily for a month starting the 11th.

Though my time is limited and how much I will remain free enough to remain committed to things is up in the air I am putting my heart into it so I want to work with you guys on stuff. It’s just an uphill battle getting to, kinda. :sweat: