Goji, a Journey

The cargo ship that served as transport and fighter to Goji extended its landing gears, slowly parking itself with a rumble onto the landing pad. Hissing escaped from the gears as the ship released the pressure from the impact and set itself into place. The bald young man had not been here for quite some time, nearly fifteen years in fact, having landed in the City of Freelonn on Ord Mantell. He came here for a simple task, to gather materials to use in the construction of his own lightsaber as instructed by his new master Ibenion Hathegura. It was true he had other options, he could have landed in much larger cities with larger ports and services closer to what he needed, such as Worlport or Ord Mantell City, but those were ruled by the corporations and syndicates, dens for smugglers and other criminals. More trouble than it was worth. At least that is what Goji rationalized for himself as deep down he knew why he picked this city over the others. He was born near here, his family had lived in the area working in the scrap yards and factories, and his earliest and most vague memories were of him playing in those yards with his sisters as his mother yelled at them.

But was that truly what drew him here? Was there some selfish desire to see them again, to see the people who had raised him and then given him to the Jedi Order? Was it to see if they were still alive? After all, this area had been hit during the Mandalorian War, and for all Goji knew they might all be dead. He considered these things, and also considered that perhaps it was the force guiding him here, just as his new master had suggested he come to this planet to gather the materials for creating his own lightsaber. Perhaps he was drawn here as a test, to have himself confront his past and temper his resolve; did Hathegura know of Goji’s family, did he maybe even know their fate? Goji himself had not contacted his family since being taken all those years ago, and in many ways he didn’t want to try to find them, especially after the Mandalorian War. A seed of fear gnawed at the back of his mind, afraid of how such an interaction would go. Would they lay blame on him for being a jedi and not fighting the Mandalorians after this world had known their wrath? Would they try to use their blood ties to make him feel guilt and manipulate him? Or would they simply hate him for living a life different from their own?

He needed to confront these things, it was a fear and anxiety he needed to conquer, one to be banished from his mind and soul.

He breathed in, calmed himself, and stood up from the cockpit seat. He had dressed himself in plain clothes rather than his brown jedi robes as he wanted to garner no attention from the locals, or worse yet, sith spies and bounty hunters. It was a simple disguise, a spacer’s jump suit with a dull blue jacket, heavy boots and gray scarf. Along his disguise he opted to leave behind his training saber and electro blade, carrying a simple vibro knife and heavy blaster at his side, checking to make sure it was fully charged and on stun before twirling it around and placing it back in its holster. With some apprehension Goji activated the ship’s ramp, descending with it as he saw a short old Devaronian male shuffling towards him and his ship, a grin on his face. Goji raised a brow, and walked forth to greet this man who he had no doubt was a port authority.

The Devaronian was quick to shout “Welcome! Welcome friend! Don’t get too many of you folk around here!”

Goji simply blinked, then looked back at his ship and then back at the Devaronian “What kind of folk would that be?” He asked, almost wondering if this old man knew he was a Jedi.

“Oh, heh, didn’t mean nothing by it. Most folk that use this here port are less than savory sorts, ye know, people whose ships are either too clean or not clean enough. And most folk who simply make pit stops go to one of them bigger cities. I surmise yer looking for something specific, and I can help with that, if, ye know….” The old creature rubbed his fingers together, grinning “Oh and thats with the docking fee, 100 credits if ye don’t mind.”

Goji exhaled through his nose, easing himself before dropping credits into the old man’s hands “I’m here to uh…… visit family.” He said with a pensive expression on his face. “I…. lost contact with them since the Mandalorians attacked.”

“Ahhh… right right, family…” The old man muttered as he squinted his eyes to take a better look at the tall bald man. “Ye must be lookin’ for Kerjin then, he’s the only other tall bald human that looks like you ‘round these parts.”

“It’s been some time, remind me again where he lives.” Goji asked, perhaps a little too coldly.

The old Devaronian looked up at him with a feigned smile “Oh, heh, yeah, he moved out closer to the jungles when the republic gave him a stipend and ah… well, the Mandalorians raided this area and destroyed the factories and houses. Out south he is.”

Inhaling sharply, Goji furrowed his brow, saddened that this meant that his old childhood home was indeed gone, but he also became uneasy with the possibility that some of his family had indeed perished. He nodded to the man “Thank you, force be with you.”

Goji stepped past the man as he had nodded back, going into the port proper before heading out into the streets and renting a speeder bike. Sat upon that vehicle, he exhaled once more, a sense of apprehension returning to him as he considered whether or not he should seek out his father. Once again, he persuaded himself that confronting his family would be an important test of his resolve to the jedi path. Rather than driving towards the scrapyards, he drove southwards, towards the jungles, following the road in the directions the old Devaronian had given to him, but also following his instincts, letting the force guide him. When he drew near enough to a house, he stopped, he knew in his mind and heart that this was the place where Kerjin, his father now lived.

Parking the speeder and turning off its ignition, Goji slowly and casually walked towards the door, reaching out with the force to feel what life might be inside this structure with each step he took. He felt only one. He frowned, approaching the door, and ringing the door bell, hearing the sound of some one shouting “Yes, yes, who is it now?” followed by footsteps, and a tapping sound. Goji furrowed his brows and the door slid open, and before him he saw an old man, entirely hairless, splotches on his skin carrying a walking stick, with milky white eyes staring past him. The man was blind. “Can I help you?” The man asked as he gently tapped his stick against Goji’s leg to confirm that some one indeed stood at his door.

Uncertainty gripped Goji’s heart, as he struggled to find the words he wanted to say to this man. He only vaguely remembered his father’s face from his childhood and struggled to connect to two “You… are Kerjin?” he finally asked.

The man’s brows furrowed, much as Goji’s had “Yes, that’s me, what do you want?” He had asked, clearly annoyed at this unexpected visit, yet also suspicious.

Placing a hand over his own mouth, and then lowering it to rub his chin, Goji mustered up a response “I am your son, Goji.” He almost regretted speaking, but knew he had to push on and face his past if he wanted to move forward.

The old man’s brows furrowed, his mouth agape, his expression having shifted from annoyance to sorrow. “If that is true… then what was your mother’s name?”

“Ano.” He quickly answered, but he realized just as quickly that the old man had said “was” instead of “is” and in that moment knew his mother had in fact passed. The pained looked on Kerjin’s face and the pain Goji sensed from him only confirmed this. “I am sorry.”

A pained smile crossed Kerjin’s face as he exhaled, an expression of both sorrow and amusement “Your jedi training has made you perceptive I see, that or I no longer have the best pazaak face in town.” He forced a smile, but Goji knew it was an attempt to put on a strong front as many fathers do. “Come, boy, we have much to talk about.” The old man turned, motioning for Goji to enter, a command he obeyed as he stepped through the door into this relatively new and sparse home. The old man wordlessly went to sit down on a couch letting out a deep sigh as Goji followed and sat near him. “I hope the Jedi have given you a good life, Goji.” These words escaped Kerjin’s mouth, and Goji could hear both the regret and hope in them.

Goji didn’t nod, he knew there was no point in the motion “They have, I learn much and help others in need. I now am on my journey to build my own lightsaber and become a true Jedi.” He smiled lightly with some pride, yet it was bitter, seeing his father as he was, an old man whose body was clearly wracked with the toxins of the scrap yards and factories he had worked in his whole life.

A smile, one filled with pride crossed Kerjin’s face “That is good to hear my son, but why come all the way out here?” A question that Goji himself was struggling to answer, at least one he was struggling to answer truthfully to himself.

“I came to gather materials to build my lightsaber with, my master suggested I return here for them and….I… wanted to see how you were doing. I heard of the attack by the Mandalorians, I wanted to know…” He cut off as Kerjin interrupted him
“If we were still alive. Hm….” the older man said, rubbing his chin. “You are right to have worried, those were dark days when they attacked.” The elder man’s brows furrowed, pain of recollection crossed his face. “I had already gone blind by then, my eyes rotten, just as much of my body is now. Your mother and your sister Jimun, bless their hearts, joined the militia to fight the Mandalorians when they came to our world.” He stopped abruptly, his lips pursing up into a frown, trembling lightly.

Kerjin didn’t need finish his sentence, Goji already knew and felt anger and sorrow well up inside him, the same as when he first heard of the attack on Ord Mantell and despite having grown more since then he felt it all the same. Perhaps seeing his father and knowing for certain that his mother and sister had perished roused him more deeply. But he breathed and calmed himself, pushing those feelings aside before asking “But what of Saljie? Where is she?”

The old man exhaled a chuckle “She is like her mother, just as Jimun was, quick to action.” He clutched his cane and wrapped his clothing tighter, as though cold “She joined the republic to fight the Sith, said that she could not stand by and let the sacrifices we made during the last war be for nothing.” His lips pursed again as he nodded.

“You… are alone here then?” Goji had asked, his genuine concern all too apparent, which elicited a quick response from his father.
“Alone? Heh, not quite, I have wonderful neighbors, and the Republic treats me well enough. They pay for my care given the service our family gives and has given to it. But you are here to build your lightsaber, that legendary weapon of the Jedi.” Kerjin smiled with pride “What do you need my son, for this quest of yours?”

Goji considered the question, not wanting to burden his father, but answered anyways “I wanted to gather wood from one of the trees here, for a handle, and gather metal from the scrap yards, so that together I can remember from where I came…. what has been lost and what I must defend.”

“Ah, well there is plenty of scrap to go around, as for the wood, take the wooden cane there in the corner. Your mother gave it to me when I first lost sight.”

Goji’s brows furrowed “I would not deprive you of something you need, father.”

“Nonsense boy! I have many and I am not so weak that I cannot survive if I am missing one! You said that you want parts for sentimentality, to remind you of what you must defend, then take the wood of that cane!” The man’s shouting surprised Goji, caught him off guard, but Kerjin seemed to have sensed this himself “Consider it a gift for all the birthdays I missed, Goji.” He said more gently, the smile returning to his face.

Apprehensive, Goji stood and approached the corner where there were several canes, only one of them was made of wood. As soon as he touched his finger to it, he felt a wave of nostalgia, as blurred memories crossed his mind of his mother, he remembered her as a stern but caring woman. He grasped the cane in his hand as he turned back to face his father, concern in his heart for this man that he barely knew, yet knew so well. “You are certain I can take this? That you’ll be alright here by yourself?”

Kerjin stood, smiling and shuffling his way over to Goji “Just as certain as I was that you would become a Jedi.”

Goji could not help but smile with a sense of pride “Thank you, father. I must go and find the metal to go with this wood. I… don’t know when I will next return.”

The old man reached out slowly, feeling for where Goji was, before touching his chest and then shifting his hand to place it on his shoulder. “Stop worrying about me boy, as long as you carry us in your heart we will always be with you.”

“There is no death, there is the force.” Goji thought to himself, as he was suddenly taken off guard again, as the old man wrapped his arms around him in a hug. A hug that Goji slowly and awkwardly returned.

“I am proud of you son, now go, collect your metal and become the jedi you are meant to be.” The hug became a little tighter, as Goji could feel the formation of tears welling up in his eyes, but he repressed it, taking a deep breath in as he released the hold.

“Thank you father, I will, and may the force be with you.” Goji dipped his head in respect instinctively, but then saw that his father had done the same before he then headed towards the door. Kerjin in turn followed him outside, the tapping of his cane not far behind Goji, stopping at the door. Returning to the speeder, Goji started its engine, and saw his father begin to wave in no particular direction. In response Goji shouted a final “Farewell father and be well.” And saw the old man dip his head before Goji drove off towards the west, towards the scrap yards. It did not take him long to find pieces of scrap that were to his liking and take them back to his ship in Freelonn. With the roaring of engines and clearance from the dock master, Goji’s ship gently lifted off from the landing pad, before moving forward and ascending up into the sky at increasing speed before clearing the atmosphere.

Goji had come to Ord Mantell with apprehension and fear, but left determined and resolute, his father’s cane stowed safely by his side.

2 Likes

A power core, focusing lens, emitter, and several other pieces of machinery and electronics floated slowly through the air in a dimly lit room. The most important of these parts was a green crystal, reflecting what little light was present onto the man who sat in the center of the room, meditating. Goji focused on the parts yet again, his brows furrowing, not in anger or frustration but in determination as the pieces began assembling themselves once again with the crystal at its center. He had been at it for hours, assembling and disassembling the pieces to his lightsaber, yet each time it failed to ignite, or it ignited and then shorted out or it ignited and sputtered unstable.

At first he had attempted assembly with his hands, following the instruction manual his master had given him on lightsaber construction, but this bore little fruit and he quickly heeded his master’s advise to use telekinesis instead. While not the most skilled in the art, Goji was at least competent in the ability, and it didn’t take long for him to keep all the pieces lifted in the air, or for him to assemble them into the lightsaber’s interior, ensuring it would work before placing it into its casing. He had cleaned each part, some of the pieces had been replaced, namely power cores due to shorting out. One of the focusing lens cracked, and then that had to be replaced, yet still the blade would not produce itself as a pure and consistent beam.

Perhaps he was missing something? Surely it must have been something simple, maybe he overlooked a small piece; after all the simplest solutions were often the right one. Then again he wondered, Hathegura and Elysian both were jokers to a degree, perhaps his master had intentionally left something out of the construction process. Perhaps this was another part of the test, to discover what was missing, to see what the prank was. Goji shook his head, Hathegura wanted him to succeed in this, he wanted Goji to be a successful apprentice, and something as important as this would not be subject to a prank. Like wise, Goji wanted to succeed, to prove himself worthy of the man that had given him the chance that no Jedi on Coruscant gave him, a man who had a similar experience to himself in a way. He could not fail him.

Failure. That stinging feeling of being a failure, of being unworthy made him think once more of his old master, Dorlin Tahl, a jedi master that had fought at Ossus against the sith in the Great Sith War, and participated in the Great Hunt. A great jedi by all accounts, and he had chosen Goji when he was only 14 to be his apprentice, a great honor. Goji thought he was doing well under his tutelage, and yet when the Mandalorian war began, Master Tahl left to join Revan, but left Goji behind, abandoned. A wound that stung for many years, especially so when it seemed no other jedi would take Goji as a Padawan and so he was a padawan no more. There was resentment in him for many years, but he learned to let go of it, and yet his mind wandered to the cave in which he had found this crystal now floating so effortlessly in the dim light.

He had gone to the cave as was instructed by his master Hathegura, and had entered the central chamber in which crystals of all sorts were to be found, yet when he entered, he felt nothing from them, as though they were dead rocks. Regardless he sat in the middle of them, meditating, choosing to let the force guide him as he knew that a crystal would choose him and not the other way around. Yet it was in that moment that Goji blinked and found himself in a field of stars, the force all around him as though he were a titan of great power, yet nothing more than a spec of dust all at once. In that distance he saw an old man with a cane, blind with milky white eyes that he recognized as his father Kerjin. Yet this image spoke to Goji with anger, accusing him of taking his cane and leaving him alone, questioning why the jedi had done nothing during the war in which he lost his wife and daughter, Goji’s mother and sister. But Goji knew his father bore no hate, at least not towards him, as he did not sense it in Kerjin when they had met, and knew this must have been an apparition made to play on his fears.

Yet it was the next apparition that disturbed Goji, caught him off guard even. “My Padawan…” he had heard from behind him, yet it was not his master’s voice, at least not his new master’s. He turned knowing that voice well, for it was his old master, Dorlin Tahl that stood before him, Clad in black robes that were a mockery of his jedi attire, eyes of burning yellow as so many sith bore. Goji had felt confused and uncertain, was this a force vision, illusions created to test him, or was his master truly alive, as a sith, using this moment of vulnerability to attack his old apprentice? Goji recalled how he had attempted to reason with the fallen jedi, to turn him back to the light, how the Sith would ultimately fail, until finally his old master drew his lightsaber in rage, burning red. Yet here Goji had no weapon and so he yet again attempted diplomacy, to appeal to the man’s sense of honor and his past heroics, only to be met with failure.

It was in that moment that Goji remembered hearing a voice speak to him, not in words, but in concepts. There were only two, life or death it had asked him. Goji chose life, to defend it, to ensure that the Dark Side would not bring it to ruin, and it was in that moment that Goji felt the pull, as he reached out his hand and a green bladed lightsaber entered his grasp, one to match against his master’s red blade. Yet even as the old master began his onslaught against him, Goji chose to employ Soresu and ward off his former master, to instead attack his resolve with words of the noble man he once was. Against the odds, Goji held his ground, until his old master grew reckless and overextended himself, enough of an opening that Goji performed a disarming strike and destroyed the sith’s lightsaber, and held him at his mercy. He extinguished his lightsaber, and let his master live, once again beseeching him to turn back to the light, only for the Sith to launch one final attack. Goji recalled only waking up in that cave once more, with the green crystal calling to him.

As Goji relived these recent memories, he came to a realization. He was focusing too much on forging a weapon, putting together parts of a machine, aligning the crystal too perfectly. Goji had not willed the weapon to himself in the vision, but the crystal had come to him in the form he desired, coming in an alliance and bond. Instead of focusing on creating the lightsaber he so clearly saw and felt within the vision, he focused on his bond with the crystal he had acquired from that cave, hardly even thinking of the parts themselves. The memory faded, and once again Goji was in the present, his eyes opening to a green light illuminating the meditation chamber, as he held a perfectly stable green lightsaber in his hand. He deactivated it, at least knowing that it worked, and assembled the casing of the saber, assembling the salvaged durasteel and brass pieces from Ord Mantell, and a portion of his father’s wooden cane for the handle.

Fitting the pieces together, at last his lightsaber was complete and once more he activated its green gleaming blade, at last he felt he was truly on the path to becoming the Jedi his father Kerjin, and now his master Hathegura believed he could become. And yet there was still concern in him, a sneaking suspicion whether he truly did face his old master in that vision or not. Hathegura assured him that if it was in fact his master, he would have needed to be close, within the system, and Goji rationalized that he could never defeat his master if it were truly him. Yet he wondered, if the force itself wanted to create a personification of his fear of his friends falling to the dark side or the Jedi Order’s failure, why not present some one he knew lived? Why did it not present Milo, or Dax, or even Vosca or Hathegura? He pondered these things as he once more deactivated his lightsaber, and sat back down to enter a simple meditation. He would find the answers to these questions in due time, and they would not cloud his mind.

2 Likes