Increased timers for apartments, the addition of motels/hotels/etc

On a server where there is no competition for a place to stay, like apartments, I think the timer should be a bit longer to make rent, especially considering you can blow a lot of credits away trying to furnish it so you get your atmosphere bonuses and such.

I know the economy is in such a place where you can easily make thousands of credits a day without even trying, but it would be nice to have some different settings to make this system feel more robust from a roleplaying point of view.

Pre-furnished motels and hotels where you can only stay for a short time & provide a smaller atmosphere bonus would be a really welcome addition for those who don’t want to commit to having a top of the line designer apartment. I think a few different options would be nice here - let people select whether they want their stay to be 24 hours, 3 days, or 9 days. This leeway would really help if they need to schedule meetings with other players or have real life obligations that keep them from logging in at the same time every day to renew it if needed.

Likewise, seeing apartments actually last 2-4 weeks for rent would make a lot more sense, since you’ve got to invest time into figuring out how you want to furnish it.

I think when you make things last a little longer than absolutely necessary from a utilitarian point of view, you actually get people feeling more invested while feeling less attached and obligated to log in every day to do all their chores & make sure the rug didn’t get pulled out from under them.

In conclusion, as the module expands from a few planets to many over time, I think there is something to be said for the world-building that takes place when not out adventuring.

A few more templates for characters living in lower-class conditions would just make it all a lot more believable - think about the kind of place a smuggler might stay to lay low, or a place where a former addict off the streets of Veles tries to scrape their life together and wall off from the smog and terrible influences potentially right outside their door. Low cost, low profile locations that provide characters with a little breathing room, but don’t totally free them from the muggy atmosphere their financial situation has placed them in.

Just tossing some ideas out there - not sure how many people are interested, but please bear in mind that even if you play a character with endless income/assets who is above the stumbling of every day life, these changes could enhance your roleplay too by further setting your character apart.

You can pay up to a month in advance already. You just need to use the terminal outside to pay.

1 Like

This is convenient if your character is willing to drop 4000 credits a month just to have a pad, but I think it would speak more to what kind of progression you can expect if there were cheaper places to stay with fewer benefits, like fewer furniture slots and potentially less room to work with.

Even if this were temporary for most people looking to climb the ranks of a faction and become wealthy quickly, the option being there provides context and substance to the game world.

I believe that is already in place

That is alreadyin place, smaller apartments cost less credits then larger appartments. The large apartment is 2400 a week which is actually dirt cheap economy wise for the server.

Maybe I’m not illustrating my point well enough.

The kind of places I’d like to see become open for players to rent would include scenery like exposed piping, sparking electronics in the utility room, flavour text that mentions vermin periodically making noises in the walls. The kinds of places you could expect force warriors without a stipend to be forced to live, or spice dealers down on their luck, Czerka employees who have been injured and not compensated.

It may not appeal to wealthy, well-established Jedi, Sith, or Mandalorians, but Veles doesn’t seem to be the kind of colony where those are the only types of people around. The moment you arrive, you’re surrounded by smog and misery. Starter quests have you helping out homeless refugees and all of the Czerka guards are armed thugs that won’t speak to you.

As mentioned in the OP, I’m not considering the economy on the server so much as the aesthetic. It is a little strange that everyone should either go build a base or live in a rather high class looking place with marble floors.

These places could reasonably be 600 credits a week or less and only have up to 5 furniture slots to help get across the point that the landlord doesn’t want you bringing stuff in and it’s not your place, you are just renting it until the next unfortunate tenant takes your place.