Jedi Initiate Mera Sevlik's contemplations on the Jedi Code

Introductory

There is no Emotion, there is Peace
There is no Ignorance, there is Knowledge
There is no Passion, there is Serenity
There is no Chaos, there is Harmony
There is no Death, there is the Force

Such is the Mantra and the Axiom that the Jedi Order function by and abide by. I am Mera Sevlik, Initiate to the Jedi order. I have pursued the teachings of the Jedi order for many years and whilst I had not in previous times known the teachings, I followed true to the Mantra present above. It is through this philosophy and Axiom that a Jediā€™s strength may flow through the force. It is through this philosophy and Axiom, that a Jedi may protect themselves from an oppressive domination of the Force. It is through his philosophy and Axiom that a Jediā€™s actions are based and how one must conduct themselves be it in diplomacy, battle or everyday occurrence.

The Axiomā€™s are a lifestyle and a personal duty to oneself to uphold for the sake of the other. In my commentaries I will outline each Axiom, inscribe their contemplations and meaning as well as discuss the topics in depth that these Axioms are designed to protect a Jedi from as well as enhance a Jediā€™s duties to the Force, the pursuit of knowledge and Harmony.

Chapter 1: History of the Code - Jedi Master Odan-Urr
ā€˜Certainly a Jedi should know the Code, by word and by heart. But every Jedi is in some fashion negligent, from the lowest Padawan to the highest Master. Consequently, were some to demand, ā€˜What is the true meaning of the Jedi Code?ā€™ the Jedi who promptly answered would be rare indeed.ā€ - Jedi Master Odan-Urr

The Jedi code had not always been as we know it today, originally the code was classically transcribed by Homonix Rectonia, a fellow member of the Jedi order over three thousand years ago. Though often forgotten, itā€™s important to know that the Jedi code did not always exist as we understand it and that it was through Jedi Master Odan-Urr and his teachings that the code evolved. The original transcription of the code as transcribed by Homonix Rectonia is as follows:

Emotion, yet Peace
Ignorance, yet knowledge
Passion, yet Serenity
Chaos, yet harmony
Death, yet the Force.

A backhistory of Jedi Master Odan-Urr, Odan-Urr was a Draethos Male and was born sometime around two-thousand years ago. It is a fascinating fact that Master Odan-Urr was able to sustain his life for between one-thousand to two-thousand years compared to the natural Draethos lifespan. With this, we can conclude that Master Odan-Urr mustā€™ve been not only a wise Master of the Jedi order, but also an incredibly powerful one. Yet despite all such wisdom and power, Odan-Urr fell in battle against Exar Kun during the great hyperspace war. I, however, for the topic at hand will refrain from delving into the war itself and perhaps in other works, I might cover the terrible events of the war. Odan-Urr sired two apprentices, both Nomi Sunrider and Freedon Nadd. Nomi Sunrider went on to become one of the greatest of Jedi Knights, whereas Freedon Nadd took a darker path and embraced the dark side of the force of which consequences still echo to this day and upon writing this documentation has such impacts on the great enemy we face today.

Therefore, it is crucial to note that despite Odan-Urrā€™s wisdom and power, he could not prevent the Darkness to come, yet his actions and work have defined the Jedi order greatly. It is widely known that current Jedi Masters such as Jedi Master Atris has been a strong proponent of his works and ensuring they are the foundations to the order.

Odan-Urr was a student of history, he in his wisdom preferred scholarly arts and studying the texts that his Master Ooroo left behind in the Library of Ossus. It is in fact noted that Odan-Urr was so extremely fascinated by the lores that he may have even forgo his Routine Jedi Assignments. Odan-Urr favored using the knowledge that he learned to become a repository of teachings for future generations of Jedi in the thousand years he had lived. Interestingly, itā€™s to be noted that in his youth, Odan-Urr was noted to be an emotional soul during his training but it is due to his fellowship at the time that Odan-Urr had been cautioned and learned to control these passions. Despite his youthal quick to anger nature, Odan-Urr is noted to have been an individual of high compassionate nature. He was known to openly mourn the deaths of those close to him and those even he did not know. The death of his Master Ooroo affected Odan-Urr greatly, leaving him despondent and lonely for some time.

Odan-Urr had a fascination for the Jedi of old, he sought to know as much as possible about the Jedi and his fascination even included learning that of the Exiled Dark Jedi. Itā€™s noted that Master Odan-Urr questioned the Jedi Code often, where at the time most students read the Code, Odan-Urr KNEW the code. He sought a greater understanding behind its teachings and what it meant. Upon his ascension to the rank of Jedi Master, Odan-Urrā€™s inquisitive nature brought him upon the Jedi code, seeking to understand it much more deeply, much greatly then any Jedi before him. Those who studied his teachings came to know the code as ā€˜The Teachings of Master Odan-Urrā€™

3 Likes

Chapter 2: The dangers of attachment

Attachment in itself is not against the code, but it is something to be controlled. Attachment can lead a Jedi to an array of feelings, sometimes anger, jealousy but most of all love. All of these emotions can lead one to negative thoughts, but in my experience, all of these emotions are nothing compared to respecting another so greatly that such respect can leave one lost in terrible mourning. Such is the nature of a Master and Apprentice, there is always attachment.

Master Odan-Urr learned this lesson through his life especially, he grew deep and fond attachments for those around him. Each attachment brought upon it possabilities of different emotions, be them positive or negative. Attachments do not always lead to the darkside but they can also equally leave a Jedi weakened. I shall recant some of Master Odan-Urrā€™s life experiences with his troubles of attachment below.

During Master Odan-Urrā€™s time as a Watchman of Koros, Odan-Urr suffered a series of visions. These visions troubled the Master terribly and so he sought to warn the Galactic Senate of the impending danger to come that was the Great Hyperspace war over two-thousand years ago. It is interesting that Master Odan-Urr echoes the contrast of Revan and Malak. Revan and Malak defied the will of the Jedi Council, whereas Master Odan-Urr garnered support from Empress Tera and did battle with the Sith in the battle of Kirrek. During this Battle, the Republic forces under Odan-Urr emerged victorious, but came with it as a cost. Master Ooroo fell in the battle and the effects of his death left Master Odan-Urr despondent, locking himself away for days at a time, refusing to see others or seek council.

It is easy to forget that not always that attachment leads to negative emotions, sometimes the desire to love another or intense respect for another can render one weakened in other ways then rage, fear or aggression but instead, removed from the events of the Galaxy, unwilling and unready to listen to those around them. Upon Master Odan-Urrā€™s ascension to the Rank of Master, he taught his students that it is important to ensure that their emotional bonds do not influence the matters of the mind. Master Odan-Urr teaches that whilst we meditate and reflect on the force and its power, it is equally if not more important to meditate on oneself and their actions. Meditation is not just about reaching out through the force, but also questioning oneā€™s choices and actions and righting past-mistakes. This is a constant and Master Odan-Urr taught his students that no matter their place, they should achieve this discipline to question oneselfs actions, no matter how right they feel about it.

It is a Jediā€™s responsibility to always be aware of their emotions and always be ready to lay oneā€™s emotions aside for pursuit of peace and Serenity.

Emotion, yet peace.
Passion, yet Serenity.
Do not let emotion and passion cloud the mind.

1 Like

Chapter 3: The Nine Conquests

It is important for a Jedi to practice self-Discipline, it is through Discipline we find strength, it is through Discipline we are able to pursue knowledge and it is through Discipline that we are able to attain Mastery of the Force. Jedi are required to learn that whilst we are able to use the force, we are no better than those who are not able to use the force as we do. A Jedi should be taught that they were only Jedi because another had taken the trouble to teach and not because they were individually unique or superior in any way at all. The same goes for a Master of the Force, that to become a Master one must push away oneā€™s self-importance from the mind and commune with the Force. Arrogance is an emotion I have often seen in others, be it Padawan learners, Initiates such as myself and non force sensitives. Before my initiation, I had such high hopes for the Jedi and when my expectations did not match- my own arrogance grew. I took to trying to teach others without the knowledge I have now. Sometimes in arrogance you can endanger others, push others away from you or simply doom yourself. Arrogance however can be overcome and it can take a mentor to teach one that, with patience and the right temperament. Anyone can aid another in the conquest of arrogance.

It is a cautionary tale that many Students of the Jedi believe that they can accomplish anything with the force, what often Students do not recognise is that to truly accomplish anything with the force requires that one have limitless understanding of the force. To this end, many students have died in their studies in achieving mastery over the force because they believed they could accomplish everything. Jedi cannot take all possibilities into account, one can try to take many into account but to think one has taken all into account in overconfidence in itself. It is important to understand your own limitations so that you may achieve success and steady yourself in the face of learning and overcoming challenges. Do not only plan for success, plan for failure most of all and be prepared for failure so that you might be ready to rise to the challenge once again. Every Jedi fails, and every Jedi can become overconfident.

A Jedi should know that even when faced with challenge and met with failure- that even in failure there can lay success. Whilst it is important for a Jedi to plan for failure it is important to temper oneself as to not let the weighted outcome affect oneā€™s judgements. One should plan for success, with failure also planned. Make plans for when you fail, but also make plans on how to succeed. Take both and hold them in equal regard. It is important to remember that whilst we are Jedi, we are as equal to those who are not force sensitive as prone to emotional disturbances as they are- perhaps more so given the nature of the force. Be aware of oneself so that you may conquer defeatism.

A Jedi should whilst in knowing that whilst planning for success as well as oneā€™s own failures- that it is important to remain vigilant of oneā€™s own stubbornness. There is no shame in a defeat, no shame in not knowing when to take a momentā€™s breath. Restlessness only leaves a Jedi weakened and vulnerable to themselves. As a Jedi becomes restless, so too does the conquest all others begin to fail. You will no longer plan for defeat, you will no longer plan for success. Desperation will take hold in oneā€™s mind and in that moment you become weak. You will break your bonds with friends and allies. You will destroy what you imagine yourself to be and twist yourself in the pursuit of self-betterment. But most of all, in stubbornness, you will hurt others. Be cautious of the cost of winning, for winning can in itself be a cost of losing.

It is important for a Jedi to recognise that Self-restraint is key to a Jediā€™s actions when faced with challenges. It can all be too easy to draw a weapon and engage in battle and emerge victorious- but one should contemplate what was truly gained from such an action. There is a saying in the Viscarian Temple that every Jedi should first know the LightSaber form Zero, though it is not an actual form of Lightsaber combat, but merely a principle to a Jediā€™s philosophy of dealing with others. Form Zero teaches us to pursue other paths before aggressive-diplomatic approaches. It in its fundamental way goes beyond merely defusing situations but to hone self-restraint. Sometimes it can feel just and so righteous to end anotherā€™s life. Sometimes in the chaos of a moment we can lose ourselves in that chaos, and become background noise as the Chaos. Remember that a Jedi recognises Chaos in life, but also tempers that chaos with the harmony of the mind.

The Hundred Years Darkness is a cautionary tale for many Jedi as to the pursuit of satisfying oneā€™s curiosity. It is not a terrible thing in itself to be curious, but to take your curiosity and satisfy it should be a thing well tempered. One should not use the force at will to satisfy a thirst for knowledge. Weigh your curiosities in contrast to the pursuit of the Galaxy and the Jedi way of life and determine if such curiosity will bring harm to many. Remember that others are entitled to their privacy. Whilst Master Odan-Urr teaches that a Jedi should not be afraid to use the force to influence or read the thoughts of others, he also teaches that such acts should not be done passively, only when such actions can resolve conflict or bring Serenity to the Galaxy.

Aggression is a conquest that requires much thought and contemplation. In my life I have studied a variety of Martial abilities and forms. To my mind, a Jediā€™s view on Aggression during martial exercises can at times be confusing. Especially when one comes to read about the Jedi Training Forms such as Form IV: Ataru as well as Form VII: Juyo/Vaapad. Both lightsaber forms in the texts in this Archive detail them as aggressive so both forms in technicality go against a Jedi way of life. But I think in my personal view- there is a miscommunication that was not intended. In Conflict, Aggression is a natural part of battle. One can not hold a weapon without having in their bodies some form of anger or even hatred. When oneā€™s allies are fired upon or injured- even killed. It is only natural to feel these emotions. However with this said, such emotions should never rule you. Master Odan-Urr in his younger years knew this, there is records of Master Odan-Urr having moments of passion during dueling moments, even going too far. It is very easy in the flow of combat for a Jedi to lose oneself to aggression. Know that there will always be aggression, do not turn from it but seek to understand it so that you can understand yourself. In doing so- you can resolve moments of conflict in your mind. Remember that there is passion, but also serenity. There is Emotion but peace. Train your mind to strike a foe with aggression, but also train your mind to resolve your passions and emotions so that these things do not control you. There are techniques that I myself have learned to help with this conquest that I would share- and there are Jedi Knights with much combat experience that can help conquer Aggression. Do not lie to yourself and to others about such truths of yourself- for you will only manifest greater darkness in yourself. This is the art of ā€˜Controlled-Aggressionā€™.

It is important to note, that whilst one may have friends, allies or even family outside of the Order. It is also important to know that such affections and bonds bring with them loyalties. A Jedi is free to make friends and connections to those around them, but a Jedi must also be aware of the dangers of such distractions. Whilst to be attached is not strictly forbidden, to let such attachments control and define you- that is not the Jedi way. Master Odan-Urr as covered in previous Chapters lived a life of Attachments and he learned that when his Master fell, he was left weakened and unresponsive for many days. Be cautious of attachments, do not fear the passing of another. Death is a natural part of life, do not mourn the loss of one, do not miss one for they are one with the force.

A Jedi should only bare their robes, lightsaber and enough credits in oneā€™s pocket to achieve a goal and to feed oneself. Jedi do not take Political positions, nor do Jedi keep more than essential belongings. There is much Darkness in the Galaxy and much conflict is derived from Greed or the hoarding of material possession. Possession can include that of power over others, be it slaves or merely holding the rank of office. It is also important to surrender gifts, gifts can lead to attachment and perhaps even jealousy in others. Jedi are permitted to take Gifts from Master to Apprentice, and perhaps at times even materials to help further oneā€™s education such as artifacts or a training foil. But such gifts should never further oneā€™s economic status in society. Oneā€™s home is the Enclave, do not possess property. One should have a ship, strictly for duty and travel. One should have a weapon, strictly for self-defense and one should have robes, strictly to keep warm. If a Jedi is to take possessions, be that only for free-time activity and not to oneā€™s personal Material status. Remember that if the Force desires for you to have such things, then it will give you such things.

1 Like