Life and Times of a Life Support Technician

Life and Times of a Life Support Technician

The first was when he was seven, or perhaps eight. His earliest notes were sketchy, being literally a child’s sketchings.

His home sector was relatively good, as Level 1307 of the vastness of Coruscant’s depths went. But life here still had dangers and various means by which it could be shortened in abundance.

It was a young Devaronian. Probably just youthful play, but she had ended up behind the grill of an in-service trackway. There were safety features, such as they were, but she and her young cohorts had managed to bypass them in their enthusiasm.

By ill chance they had chosen a dead-zone, or at least for the basic tech they had with them. No-one was coming.

Dace would come to think on the somewhat-vaguely remembered events of this day a lot in future years. When someone tells you you cannot put a price on life? Dace believed they were wrong, or merely lazy. It can be calculated. Admittedly only for a certain package of assumptions, and with a sometimes-large margin of error. But a cost to the credit can be assigned. For life continuing, in any case.

Likewise he held that a count can be made of the lives you have saved. Truly saved, and not ones that someone else would have saved had you not been there.

His mother worked pipeline transport in this sector. Admittedly a different department, but the lessons his eager mind had learnt “helping” his mother in the home workshop still applied. Equipment of the same era tended to be standardized. And Level 1307 didn’t see upgrades or refits unless absolutely necessary. Even then, it was a feature of Coruscanti life usually taken for granted that the very old gear was often better than the brand new gear, if only because that which still functioned had been the very best indeed.

He had chosen this route almost at random. And no-one else here had the skills he did. These would be details that an older Dace would amortize and weigh with care. But for the moment all the young Dace saw was someone terrified. And a faint but growing hum that told of an incoming trolley… moderately loaded, too.

It was the work of a few moments. The tampered-with mechanism and circuit needed to be bypassed. And the auto-shutdown manually triggered. It was done, not with mere meters to spare as a classic tale of heroism might require. But certainly seconds.

They were not his friends. And under other circumstances this meeting would have gone badly for Dace. He got her out, made sure she wouldn’t fall back into the trackway, and legged it back to the service-ways he knew better than the streets.

He was never sure if he saw her again. Possibly, from a distance. In future years he would setup some discrete datapulls in similar situations, and forgive his younger self youthtful indiscretions, such as poor record-keeping and no follow-up. Statisically, she would have made it to adulthood. Probably. Close enough for government work.

Count: 1

2 Likes

A slightly larger child runs into the living area, a precariously-assembled cluster of parts in one hand, and a hopeful smile on his face.

“What do you have there, Dacey?”

“I made it, Mother! It reads how warm the cold pipe is. Then we can tell WeatherNet when the down pipe is broken! And Mr Levcas wouldn’t have to keep his door shut!”

Pride on her face, Tobbi Rendall took the device and looked it over. Rejigged, and reshaped crudely by her department’s standards, nonetheless it would do that one task and keep doing it for a while. Her son had much of his father in him, she thought to herself.

She looked out the small window briefly. The systems that made a city-planet possible were complex beyond understanding. Among the many things generated in the deeper levels that needed to go up was heat. And so vast heat exchange mechanisms existed. Not enough to maintain a balmy temperature everywhere. But enough to make life possible in many places.

Things down here generally worked, and didn’t break down quickly or often. The maintenance staff in these deep levels didn’t need to be vast to achieve the miserable standards set by those above, when they thought of these deep levels at all.

But over time calibrations shifted, interference occurred, or one of a thousand parts became damaged. And the heat exchangers became slightly less effective. Forcing slightly more people to create their own sealed system and spend time and expense on single-dwelling cooling, or filtering, or scrubbing. Which ironically added to the heat generated in-level. And not all could afford even that modest cost.

Pride warred with sadness on her face, and she handed the crude but functional monitoring tool back to her son. It was time to explain a bit more of the truths of existence in level 1307. But her heart failed her at the last.

“Very well. Why don’t you go install it, next to your layabout classmates’ graffiti, perhaps, and see what you can find out.”

“What’s a censure, Mother?”

“It means WeatherNet doesn’t want extra monitoring devices on their downpipe. Or any monitoring devices, it seems.”

“But I did it, not you!”

“I know, Dacey. But the datalink is in your parents’ name, so our names come up when someone wants to complain.”

“Is that like when I have to tidy up my spare parts when I’m naughty? And I have SO many now.”

“Ah… sort of, Dacey. Sort of.”

“But WHY? Don’t they want their pipes to work? I’d want my pipes to work the very best.”

Tobbi pauses for a moment, then continues.

“It’s… hard to explain, but not everyone cares about Mr Levcas like you, Dacey. Some people like things to stay nice and quiet, and don’t want to come down here and help Mr Levcas.”

“But that’s not right! You stay late most nights, Mother. You’re always at work making sure all the food markets get their fresh algae piped in.”

“I know, Dacey. But not everyone thinks the same as your Mother. Or you.”

Dace looked out at the dimly-lit roadway, the roof of this voidspace a hundred meters above. The hum of private temperature control units could be heard through the grimy haze. In the distance someone coughed.

It wasn’t right. It just wasn’t right.

3 Likes