Life in the villages

The big cathar lounged on a set of crates behind the tiny storefront, soaking in the sunshine. He kept his eyes closed, taking in the sounds of the city around him. The refugee camp, which now resembled more of a permanent settlement, was always noisy. On the other side of the shop sat the main street, and he could hear the crowd, the rattling of the occasional ground vehicle, and rarely, the whine of a repulsor unit. On his other side, it was quieter, but not by much. The back alley that ran between the shops and the houses was filled with more working noises, less moving noises. Here the whine of the repulsor was replaced by that of the drill, the banging of hammers, the whir of power spanners. The rodian next door, Olve, was arguing with someone about something. Down the lane he could hear the steady clanging of the metalworker, beating out the dent in something. Someone in a house was arguing.

The only thing that made him open his eyes was when a shadow passed above him. Pink clouds, ever present and dense, cast shadows like across the land that stretched for miles. With a sigh he began to push himself off the crates, the creaking of the wood audible as his weight shifted. He rubbed at his back and stretched, letting his claws out for a moment to adjust his mane back, and trundled back inside the shop.

Ord Mantell wasn’t a very hot world, but it was somewhat dry, and in the summer like it was it tended towards dusty and uncomfortable. The inside of the shop, by comparison, was an oasis of coolness, provided by the fountain at the center. His father had had it installed early, and credited it with much of the success. He personally thought that had more to do with the cooking, but he didn’t protest too much. His father was humble, but proud in the way only a humble man can be.

“Need the booth adjusted,” his father called to him in Cathari from the front end, where a few soldiers in Republic uniform were standing “Five coming.”

Ca Jor wandered over and took in the shapes of the group before reaching down, and with a slight grunt, moving the table at the booth. They got all sorts coming through, since Ord Mantell was even more cosmopolitan then Coruscant (Or so they said), so being able to adjust on the fly was an important survival strategy for any business. He waved at his father and dug out his datapad as the group took their place. Two twi’leks, a rodian, and two humans. He logged their drink orders, trying not to glance too much at the uniforms, and headed for the back.

“More patrols from the garrison?” he asked his father as he set the tray out “Five glasses, Cyhr.”
His brother nodded as his father spoke “I guess they want them to see the village and as part of their training. Maybe not a bad thing.”

“Maybe. You know I-” Ca Jor began, when there was a thump from the wall. There was a pause as everyone looked at it, then another thump, and a rodian shout, and crash. Ca Jor was moving before his father could say anything, but he heard him running behind him.

“Careful Ca!”

Ca Jor hit the rear door with enough force the hinges came off, a few second after he heard Olve’s gate slam open. Up the boxes, over the wall, landing with a thud on the other side, he looked through the open door, where Sinee was checking her father. Ca Jor paused, but not for long.

“He’s ok, just hit. Black clothes, human, went left!” she urged.

The thrill overtook him, and he ran. Out through the gate, down the alley. There was always a certain amount of foot traffic, mostly local, and of course the stuff. Carts, crates, barrels, waste bins. The thief had already cleared a bit of a path, barging past people and knocking over the occasional thing as he ran. He caught a glance of a cloak ducking right. Not a local then; the man was a few sharp turns from the main avenue, but the locals all knew about the Dry Alley Wall, a truly tremendous stack of crates that no one had gotten around to picking up.

Ca Jor leapt over the wall to his right and passed through the back door of the twi’lek couples house. They were busy arguing (like they tended to), but paused as he ran through.
“Sorry chasing thief talk later shop.” he growled as he passed through. The two women then started arguing about what to wear to dinner. He barely registered it as he passed through the front door, and onto Livingstreet.

Here he slowed down. It was more crowded, and busier. Besides, he knew he had a minute, so he caught his breath. His heart beat in his chest. It felt good. That had all felt good. With the pounding dying in his ears he strolled a bit more casually towards the entrance to Wet Alley, gingerly stepping over a man sleeping off his morning aparteif. A few of his companions were lounging nearby, talking, but they paid the cathar no mind. People tended not to make trouble when you were known for minding your own business, being local, being friendly, and doing a party trick where you bent a durasteel wrench.

The other useful thing about being a local was knowing that Dry Alley turned into Wet Alley at a corner, because they had built a storage shed that completely blocked access to the old entrance so the local hotel could have a place to store its used ale kegs for transport. Ca Jor tilted his head. He could hear cursing, and the sound of creaking wood. A thump of a body hitting the ground, more muttered cursing, and then the rapid movement of feet. He counted to himself before sticking his arm straight out across the alley mouth.

–

When he got back to the droid shop, Olve had a bandage on his head, with one of the Republic troopers from the diner giving him a once over alongside Ca Jors father, who glanced up as his son walked into view. Another two were talking to Sinee, but the last two were missing from the picture. The interviewers looked over as he came through the gate, then at each other. Ca Jor adjusted the man on his shoulder before coming over. One of them tapped the side of their helmet.

“Uh, Sergeant, it looks like someone got him,” the twi’lek said, listening to some unheard reply “Yes sergeant, back at the shop.”

“Where’d you catch him?” The short rodian demanded, striding over. Her mohawk reached about the bottom of Ca Jors chin.

“Dry Alley.”

“Oh, he hit the wall.” She sounded amused. Ca Jor shrugged, causing the man to jostle.

“He’s not dead, right?” the twi’lek trooper asked with worry.

“Uh, I don’t think so. Just knocked out.” Ca Jor said, swinging the unconscious man around and setting him up against the wall.

“Hey Jolee, come check this guy out when you’re done with the shopkeeper.” The human trooper called through the door.

The group gathered around the black-clad thief. After a few minutes the gate opened once again, and the other human and rodian trooper wandered back in. The medic looked up from where he was working, giving a nod.

“What did you hit him with, kid?” he asked a slightly accusatory tone, looking at the young cathar.

“Ah, nothing. He clotheslined himself on my arm.”

“Try using something softer next time, like a piece of pipe.” he griped.

“That’ll be enough cadet,” the human who had arrived last said. He was the oldest of the group, maybe in his thirties, as much as Ca Jor could read human ages at a glance, but a healed burn scar across his throat marked him as a veteran “We’ll drag him down to the constabulary.”

The troopers briefly argued over who had to carry the man, but the matter was decided and two of them hefted him up with a shared grunt. The sergeant offered a hand to Ca Jor, who took it and shook it “Good catch.” he offered before following his soldiers out.

“I’m going to take a walk with Olve down, make sure he gets there. You will watch the shop, Sinee?” he asked the rodian woman.

“I’ll close up for now. I have to clean up,” she looked at her father, concern breaking through “You alright?”

Olve waved a hand “I’ll be fine. Got to file a report.”

“Help her clean up Ca Jor, I’ll be back soon. Dinner rush will be soon. Your sister is watching it for now.” he patted his son on the shoulder as he walked by, leaving the two young people alone in the yard.

Muttering curses the whole time, the Mohawked rodian began shutting up the shop, manually closing the gate. Ca Jor picked up a few knocked over chassis, setting them back up the best he could. It didn’t take long, but he could tell Sinee was happy not to have to do it, especially on the heavy drill of a mining droid. He grunted as he pulled the five foot long drill back up into a standing position.

“How did that even get knocked over?” she asked as she handed him a tin of ale.

“Oh, thanks. No idea. We heard a thump in the kitchen and then the crash.”

“Well, I’m glad you caught him.” she pulled herself up onto the counter, offering her beer for a tap. He clinked it, they drank, and she burped “I was upstairs studying when I heard the noise.”

“Still thinking about becoming a pilot?” Ca Jor leaned on the counter. With his lean and her boosted by the
height of the counter, they were about even now.

“Navigator. But ya. The Republic is offering a lot of bonuses for people with those skills, even if you don’t end up anywhere near the front lines.” she looked at her beer, then at him, waiting.

“Ya. I think I am.” he admitted after a moment of silence between them.

“If you’re sure, be sure. But, you’d be good for it. The Republic needs heroes.” She tapped his shoulder.

“I’m no-” he started

“Not yet. But you are heroic. Just don’t do anything stupid like getting yourself killed.” she said firmly, before kissing him. It lingered for a moment, and Ca Jor cleared his throat afterwards.

“I should get back over to the diner.” he said over the sound of pounding in his ears.

“Ya you should, I’m hungry. I’m going to go change; I want eggs and one of those fried meat strips you do.”

3 Likes

Sinee checked her hair extensions one last time. The navy demanded a bit of decorum, species based of course, so she’d had to cut off her mohawk. Ca Jor had sent her a picture of another Rodian with shorter haired held back by a headband, and she didn’t hate the look; She might go for it herself, but tonight’s date required something a little more wild-style, like the old days. So she’d gone and gotten hair extensions, so she could have her tail back.

One last look at the makeup, one last tug on the extension to check its secure. All check. Combat boots, check. Jacket, check. She couldn’t hide her giddiness as she checked out the clothing. It’d been to long since they had dressed like they wanted to together.

“You almost done in there?” she heard his voice call.

“Ya babe, you better be ready to check me out.” she called back, tugging down the jacket one last time.

Ca Jor looked up from where he was putting his last piercing in, and she was gratified at his reaction, even more when she shifted her hips a bit and his eyes lit up.

“You ready to go?”

“Huh? Oh, uh yeah, I am. I guess to the bar too.” he added with a grin, standing up. The hotel they were in was tiny but the kind that would just ignore noise complaints. She eyed him up and down. The sleeveless look he had gone with reminded her of back when they were kids, even though he definitely would burst the shoulders on anything from that era. He’d always been a big guy, but the navy must’ve been feeding him something because now he looked like he could punch holes in durasteel.

“Not bad looking yourself,” she wrapped her arms around one of his and tugged him along “Let’s go.”

Out the door, down into the street. They stopped at the hotel ‘bar’ (little more than the literal bar near the entrance) long enough to get a pair of beers and then went wandering. The streets bustled. It wasn’t quite like home, since those slums were shorter; this was a proper city slum, where the sky was hard to see through the haze and the lights above.

The bouncer took one look at the pair and waved them through. The inside was crowded, and smoky. The ceiling was low. The music was loud. The two of them plowed towards the bar, her holding onto her man’s belt buckle and using him as a battering ram. Ca Jor casually inserted his arm between two people who weren’t talking, holding up two fingers and tossing a chit on the bar.

Then the night devolved. Dancing, smoking, talking, laughing. Sure, it was a little absurd. They were both Republic military, and they’d probably be called posers, but neither one had ever given up on the life they’d left behind, including each other. They were about five beers in and Ca Jor had wandered off to the bathroom when there was a stir near the entrance. She climbed up on her stool to get a better look.

A group of what looked like mostly or almost all humans had wandered in. They had the kit but there was something off. The group plowed towards the bar, and as they grew closer, she started seeing flashes of the white and black skulls, the mandalore mask, and the red wings and star. She clambered off the stool and quickly downed the rest of her beer, before reversing her grip on the bottle neck.

The crowd around the group jeered at them, and she could see a few bouncers maneuvering into position. They knew they had come for a fight, so did everyone else.

“Get out of here!”
“Imperial punks!”
“In the Empire you’d be the first to go!”

The apparent leader of the group, a young human man with a shaved head, leaned on the bar “We’re not going anywhere until we get a drink.”

Sinee counted them out. There were ten, almost all human, all fairly young. Most of them looked like posers, but one or two had scars that showed this wasn’t there first go around. Ca Jor really needed to hurry up. She had her knife, and a stunstick, plus the bottle. The Imperials noticed her looking at them, and one of them sauntered over.

“Hey Rodian, all here by yourself?”

The band, a group called The Dead Organas, trailed their song off and launched into a new one, hard and fast. The lyrics opened with a scream.

“IMPERIAL PUNKS GET OUT.”

It was at this point Sinee slammed the bottle into the man’s chin with a very satisfying clunk and a couple of broken teeth, and all hell broke loose.

Lights flashed as the local enforcers closed in, and the riot swelled back and forth. A few bottles were thrown. What had started as a bar fight had spilled out into the streets; an impromptu stage had been set up and speakers hooked up. A speeder or two were on fire.

“Sinee, we gotta go.” Ca Jor said, swaying. Watching him in action had been pure thrill, ripping out of the bathroom and flying into the crowd of fascist. Between the two of them they’d cleaned the imperials out, to the cheering of the crowd if not the pleasure of the bouncers. Things had spun out from there, and now they stood outside in the night air as the sirens got loud enough to hear over the music. Getting caught in the middle of what was rapidly devolving into a riot would probably not help their careers.

“How, the roads are all blocked.” she clambered up his body, looking over the crowd. The constables had penned them in, up against the bar they’d poured out of. She could see riot gear on the ground troops and water cannon muzzles on top of lightly armored vehicles.

“This is an illegal demonstration. Disperse immediately.” a voice came over a loudspeaker.

“Who needs roads? Hold on to me.” he shifted her around so she could cling to his back, her legs wrapping around his waist.

“Ca, wha-” she started, unable to finish before her boyfriend ran up on stage. The crowd shouted as he leapt, jumping onto a nearby wall. She swore his claws went right into the stonework, and then with a surge he was leaping up again, grabbing a fire escape. The crowd roared as he pulled himself up, and she laughed. One finger extended up and out as spotlights hit the two of them, but Ca Jor was already moving, climbing the fire escape in leaps and bounds. Now the crowd pushed out towards the spotlight vehicle.

When they reached the roof, she slid off his back and looked down over the crowd below, which was now surging through the police barricade and scattering into the streets. She hopped up and down, cheering.

“Babe, that was amazing.” she cried, throwing herself at Ca Jor on her last hop, and kissing him soundly.

“Yeah, I’m pretty great.” He said, after they both came up for air “We should put some 'crete between us and them though.”

“Yeah, let’s move. Parties not done yet.” she took off, laughing. He chased after her, grinning.

2 Likes

PART 2: Coming out

Ca Jor listened to his brothers snoring. There was a key point, he’d found, where his older brother was deep enough asleep that he wouldn’t get up when Ca Jor moved around. It had a specific pattern. As soon as he heard it, he quietly stood up, still wearing his bedclothes, and padded to their window. It wasn’t a very big window, and anyone watching Ca Jor get through it would have sworn he somehow turned to liquid as he did so. He was the biggest in his family by far and somehow he managed it. He hung from the sill, then pulled himself up and onto the roof.

By comparison, Sinees window was much easier to get through, and she helped pull him in. She then helped him onto her bed, where she lay on top of him, both fully clothed. They hadn’t said a word to each other. Her walls were covered in band posters and schematics for droids. Right above her bed, which Ca Jor was staring at, was the poster from a concert they’d both snuck out to on what was probably their first real date. It was supposed to be more than the two of them, but their friends had canceled or bugged out. It had gotten out of hand, what with the fires, but it had ended with a kiss in one of the rare rains.

She shifted up his body and kissed him, as if reading his mind, and then rested her head in his neck.

“I want to tell everyone tomorrow.” he said, shifting his arms around her.

Sinee looked up at him.

“I’m glad.” she eventually replied, wrapping her arms around his neck and burying her head deeper into him, muffling her voice “Are you worried?”

“A little. You?”

“Yeah.”

“Think your dad will be ok?” he reached up and gently stroked his fingers through her hair.

“Yeah, eventually. He’ll have to deal. What about you though?”

“I think it’ll be fine. It doesn’t matter anyway. I want to tell everyone.” he said firmly, looking down at her.

She didn’t reply, but her grip tightened a bit. After about half an hour, laying with their arms around each other, Ca Jor moved slightly, indicating it was time for him to go. She resisted though, clinging to him.

“Just a few minutes more?”

“Sinee…” he said gently, but didn’t really protest. The reality was he could’ve easily moved her, but he didn’t want to “I can’t fall asleep over here, and I really want to.”

“I really want you to too. I’ll set my alarm early, before anyone gets up.” she cajoled him.

“What about my brother?” he asked, clearly mulling the idea over.

“I mean, he’s gonna find out tomorrow anyway right?” she pointed out “Just make something up.”

“Yeah, alright.” he agreed. She sighed and leaned over, turning off the little light she had kept on until then to prevent them both falling asleep. Darkness fell across the room, the sound of the occasional night person on the street below, or a speeder high above, spilling in from the window. Ord Mantell was arid, so the nights tended to be cool. She fiddled with her alarm as he adjusted himself on her bed, which was admittedly fairly small for his frame.

They had slept together before, but usually just short naps in some out of the way place. This would technically be their first night together. She was excited, and she pulled the covers over both of them as she snuggled into his side. He was always nice and warm and his fur was soft.

Ca Jor had in fact managed to make it back to the restaurant before anyone else was up, though only by a bit. His father was an early riser, but his youngest son was also known to get up in the morning, usually to take a walk through the villages.

“Good morning, my son.” his father ambled towards the table where Ca Jor had already set out the caff pot and some cups.

“Morning dad.” his youngest replied. Father looked at son, up and down. Ca Jor was not good at hiding things. He was nervous.

“Is everything alright, my son?” he sat, and sipped from his coffee.

“Yeah. Uh, I was wondering if we could invite Olve and Sinee over for dinner tonight.” he poured out his own cup. Two sweeteners, no cream.

Cri Rhu set his cup down.

“Certainly, I don’t see why not. What is the occasion, though?”

“Oh well, y’know, Sinee is going to join the Republic, and we’ve been friends since forever, and her dad and you have been getting along since we got here and all…” Ca Jor rambled.

“All good reasons, but shouldn’t we invite some of your other friends?”

“Oh uh, well, not for this one maybe. I kind of…just want it to be us.” Ca Jor drank from his caf.

“What’s just us?” his sister asked as she sat, already alert looking.

“Ca Jor wants to invite our Rodian neighbors for dinner this evening.” Cri Ru looked at his eldest.

“Ya? That’s cool. But why?”

“He’s being secretive. But we should let him be, for he rarely is.” her father added, smiling and patting his youngest on the shoulder “I look forward to the surprise. Now, go wake your brother up, breakfast is soon.”

“Thanks, dad.” he said, heading towards the kitchen, clearly excited.

“Which means don’t pry.” Cri Rhu warned his eldest “Let him have a little secret now and then.”

“Nah, I’m kinda interested too. It’ll be more fun to see what he’s so excited about. She sipped her caf, and grinned. She favored her mother the most out of all three of the children, even taller than she was, and her blonde mane tumbled around her tan fur. She was broader than her father.

His second child stumbled down the stairs, in many ways the opposite of his elder sister. He took more after him in coloration. He was smaller, and slimmer than either of his siblings, about Cri Rhu’s height and size, and while his sister was quite energetic in the morning, Ysi Jhir was a walking coma patient. He made a noise that was almost a word as he fell into his seat, sipping at his caf.

It was a normal day for the cafe, people coming and going. The breakfast crowd, the brunch crowd, the lingering elderly with their caf and tea orders. Ca Jor waited alongside his sister while his father and brother cooked, though they closed up for an hour in the afternoon to relax and take a breather. Closed up was perhaps a generous word; they stopped serving anything but caf or tea, while the family took in a light meal.

Then came dinner, which on most nights was the quieter meal, except at the end of the workweek. Families and couples would wander through, but for the most part people picked up their meal on the way home to serve to their family. Cri Rhu, Siwin Judor, and Ysi Jhir worked the kitchen, preparing the meals as people ordered them, and Ca Jor dodged between the tables. Friends wandered in and out, chatting with his father through the kitchen window even as Ca Jor squeezed around them.

Finally, past sunset, they closed up for real. The villages, despite their reputation, weren’t the type of place where people would steal chairs from in front of businesses, largely because everyone knew where everyone lived and would get them back with interest in short order. They did shutter the front end though, propping open the rear door into the tiny yard that abutted one of what was known as the local-streets, where the people who actually lived in the area talked, met, and traveled.

His brother was in full swing from the dinner shift, and went straight into preparing dinner for the family and their guest, while Ca Jor handled setting up the furniture and the table in the yard. Sister took the time to pull some flowers from inside, creating a centerpiece, while their father laid out the silverware.

Each took turns filtering out to change and wash up a bit after the work of the day, except for Ysi Jhir, who was intensely decorating something baked. Ca Jor had just come back down the stairs when he heard his father speaking to someone, and he wandered out the back to find their Rodian neighbors in the yard. Olve wore a simple but well made rodian style vest and pants, but Sinee was eye-catching in a red sundress, her normal mohawk pulled back into a fine tail. Ca Jor tried to act nonchalant as he wandered over.

“Ah, my son. You know this was a good idea, we should do it more often.” Cri Rhu gestured for him to join them “It helps bind our village together.”

“Yeah, uh, for sure dad. How’s your head mister Olve?” He shook the Rodians hand. He towered above the man, who was about the same height as his daughter.

“Not bad. No more ringing, unless I am hammering droid plates.” he replied in his clipped basic. He had come from Rodia, so the galactic language was a bit more accented than his daughters.

“Which he does constantly even when he should rest a little.” Sinee said, fondly, though with an edge.

“Business is business.” he laughed “Where are your others?”

“Ah, Ysi Jhir is making everything perfect, as he does.” Cri Rhu glanced over his shoulder at the kitchen door, light spilling across the yard “As for Siwin Judor, she is changing, I think.”

Sinee had wandered over to the table and taken a seat. She subtly gestured to Ca Jor to join her, patting the one next to her. She was always a little rebellious no matter what the situation, but tonight Ca Jor swore she was almost demure. She had done up her makeup as well, and the subtle shadows under her eyes and the lipstick added to the image. He started to take a seat, when he was interrupted by his father.

“Ca Jor, why don’t you go get the wine and water.” he was instructed.

“Oh, right. On it. I’ll be back in a sec.” he said more quietly to Sinee, who smiled up at him and folded her hands in her lap. Ca Jor narrowly avoided running into his sister on the way in, then swept past his brother who was putting the last touches on something with an intensity that would scorch armor plating. The slim Cathars hands were steady but the rest of him almost vibrated.

“This is gonna be a good one Ca Jor. For whatever you’ve got planned out there, I’m gonna make this one special.”

“Ha, planned, what? It’s just dinner, man, come on.” Ca Jor said defensively as he pulled out one of the really good bottles, along with a jug of water. Both Rodian approved and safe, and theoretically, tasty. “It’s not like we haven’t done this before.”

“Sure, whatever you say little brother. Dinner should be ready in…ten.”

He went outside, where his father, his sister, Olve, and Sinee, were now seated around the table. Luckily there was still a spot next to Sinee, and he deftly moved to take it after pouring out the wine and the water for all the set places. The two fathers had both lit their pipes, while Sinee accepted a cigarette from Siwin Judor, who passed one over to Ca Jor as well when he finally sat down. He realized it had been actual hours, and he slumped a bit in his chair as his body reminded him of the fact.

“Love the dress, Sinee.” his sister chatted idly with her.

“Thanks. I thought i’d…dress up a little, y’know?” the Rodian woman hid her nervousness with a laugh “Plus I was all covered in hydraulic fluid earlier so I had to change anyway.”

“Mining droid again?”

“Still. Stupid thing just refuses to be fixed, I swear.” she angrily puffed at the cigarette, glancing over at Ca Jor, visibly relaxing.

“Doing alright, Ca Jor?” she asked casually.

“Huh? Oh, yeah. Been a long day. I’m glad you two were able to come over.” he sat up a bit.

“Yeah, little brother has been really looking forward to this all day. We’re all curious what he’s up to. My bet is he’s running off to the military.”

“Lay off.” Ca Jor grunted, though not forcefully. He drank some water and leaned back, stretching. Sinee watched him.

“Just remember to polish your boots.” Siwin Judor teased, before turning back to Sinee, who pulled her attention away from Ca Jor as well.

Around them, through the alleys, Ca Jor could hear their neighbors doing much the same. A lot of people ate outside on nights like these, since Ord Mantell was hot and dry during the day, but tended to cool down at night, letting the moisture come out. He heard the Twi’lek couple of the street arguing on and off again, as they tended, and the distant squealing of the gamorrean massage family. He let his mind wander and his body relax, using that as a way to try and fight off his nervousness. Sinee was also wearing perfume, which wafted across his nose as the breeze shifted around, gentle and cool.

He almost dozed off when he heard his brother calling him, and he and his father both stood, heading inside to gather the meal. Thinly cut roast meats served in sauce, fresh vegetables, recently baked breads; his brother really had gone out, and he looked triumphant and smug as he sat down.

“Well, this is quite a meal, Ysi Jir.” Cri Rhu smiled at his middle son, and nodded to the others “Please, we have little in the way of ceremony. Join us for this meal, and be welcome.”

The plates were passed around, the food dolled out, and the wine began to flow. They chatted about the news of the day; The Mandalorian conflict seemed to be turning. Rumors had flown around about a new general, or admiral, or something; perhaps the Jedi were getting involved? Locally, some politics. Cri Rhu was part of the village’s unofficial council, and there had been some minor trouble with gangs encroaching from the north. Otherwise an upcoming festival promised to bring good boons throughout.

After eating their fill, they sat and simply chatted, and smoked, and drank. During a lull in the conversation, Ca Jor took a breath and cleared his throat. Beneath the table edge, he felt a touch on the back of his hand, and nothing would stop him after that.

“I do have something to say.” he spoke up.

Cri Rhu watched his youngest stand. Ca Jor was a towering young man, but there was not a hint of lumbering about him. Back on Cathar, before the burning, he had no doubt in his mind he would have taken his place not just as a rank and file warrior, but as a full on pride leader. He might not have been able to play politics, but sometimes rather than sly words, one simply needed to keep themselves proud and tall. The others gazed at him, curiosity on each face.

“I guess, uh, two things.” Ca Jor corrected, tapping the table and then looking at Sinee. He took another breath.

“Yeah, we’ve all been talking about it…and I do want to join the navy. Not right away, but soon. There’s another big training wave coming up in a few months and I talked to the recruiter, and they said that would be the best time if I want to join the troopers.”

There wasn’t much surprise, though Cri Rhu’s heart ached a bit. They had all more or less talked about it, but knowing for sure filled him with a sense of dread. He calmed himself by smiling.

“Ca Jor, I just want to make sure you’re sure about that.” he asked, gently. He didn’t let the dread enter his voice.

“I am. Not for revenge.” he added suddenly, clenching his hands into fist and looking down “I just can’t let what happened happen again. It just can’t. I want to fight to protect the republic and our new home. That’s all.”

Cri Rhu stood and walked around the table, embracing his son. His sister reached out and put her hand on his back, though his older brother just sort of grinned from his seat

“They’re going to put you on posters Ca Jor. You’re gonna turn all sorts of heads in that uniform and finally get yourself a litter or three”

“None of that, Ysir.” Chi Rhu said firmly, though he couldn’t help but smile a bit. He stepped back and started to move around towards his seat ``What was the other thing, Ca Jor?”

“Um, yeah, I…” he trailed off, then balled his fist up “I already do.”

There was a ripple of shock through the gathered.

“It’s Sinee.” he said, firmly, reaching down and grasping the Rodian woman’s hand. She stood up, and before she knew it his arm was protectively around her “We’ve been going out for awhile.”

Stunned silence followed the pronouncement. Sinee couldn’t hear anything over her heartbeat. She could feel Ca Jors heart thumping in his chest behind her, since he had pulled her into him. Chi Ru studied his son’s features, then looked around at the table. Ysir Jir looked confused, but rather then looking at the couple, he was looking at the others. For what he could read of Olve’s expression, the Rodian mostly looked stunned. Siwin Judor though, had a different look on her face. Disbelief, perhaps?

Chi Ru opened his mouth to speak, but then paused as he looked at his son’s face. Ca Jor was defiant, proud, and honest. His arm was around the Rodian woman, one of her hands holding his forearm. Whatever thought had entered his head fled in the face of his sons eyes, which burned with something he had long hoped to see.

“You’re not serious.” said Siwin Judor, cutting through the silence.

“I am. We are.” Ca Jor said, not backing down.

“You can’t be.” she repeated, standing.

“And?” Ca Jor released the rodian, who kept a grip on her hand.

“Siwin Judor, I promise you I care about Ca Jor. I don’t care that he’s a Cathar. I like him.” Sinee said to her friend.

“That’s not the problem, Sinee, I like you, but you’re a Rodian, and Ca Jor has a job to do.” she said, as calmly as she could, “He should know that.”

“Duty?” Sinee asked, confused. Ca Jor bristled.

“Duty? This crap again. It’s not my duty to end up with a Cathar and produce children. I’ll donate to the genetic bank, that’s good enough.” he snapped at his eldest sister.

“Ca Jor and I like each other Siwin Judor. What’s the problem with that?” the edge rose in Sinees voice “We’ve been friends for years but I’m not good enough for your brother because I’m not Cathar?”

“We don’t have that luxury, Sinee, our world burned. Their’s only a few million of us out there!” her voice cracked in reply.

“Enough, all of you.” Cri Rhu said, standing and speaking firmly. All three froze up at the voice “Enough. Siwin, you will sit. Ca Jor…Sinee…”

“How long have you two been together?” Olve finally spoke up, in Rodian, to his daughter. She lifted her head.

“About a year. He is a fine hunter and he provides well for me.” she replied in the same. Ca Jor glanced between the two, catching most of it.

“He tracks his prey well, I’ve seen it. He is strong and can protect you. You are my daughter, but you are a woman. The choice is yours, but we will speak more later.”

“You guys didn’t know?” Ysi Jri asked with confusion. Everyone looked at him. “I just thought it was kind of obvious. Plus Ca Jor likes sneaking out of our room at night.”

“You didn’t mention anything.” Ca Jor said, nonplussed.

“Why? I figured it was for something good, otherwise you wouldn’t have done it.” he replied casually, sipping from his wine glass. The couple stared at him, as did everyone else. He shrugged, unperturbed.

1 Like

Sinee peered out of the viewport of her shuttle as they drifted over the Mon Cala shipyards, taking in the glittering super-structure and the fleet based around them. Beneath, the planet glittered back at the stars, its vast reefs visible from space among the dotting of islands and archipelagos. A few of the civilians around her took in the view as well, leaning into the viewports. Years ago, she’d had her pheromone glands removed, arguing with her father that they weren’t going back to Rodia anytime soon, they weren’t hunters, and that they just didn’t matter as much in the modern world. She was glad for it at that moment.

“Passengers, be welcome to Mon Cala. We shall be setting down at the main spaceport of Dac City, from which you will be able to find suborbital flights to a number of luxury locations. Customs check in is estimated to take no more than one half standard hour.” intoned the croaking voice of the pilot, as the shuttle began its descent. The passengers shifted back in their seats, and Sinee set her head back.

The landing pad at Dac was busy, with shuttles coming and going in a well ordered sort of way. The city itself was much the same. Elegant and orderly, at least from the outside, all domes and spires. The word “orderly” popped up into her head several more times before she got out of the terminal towards customs. It was a planet that was clearly built around a very lawful minded sort of people, with lots of lines and queues. She could deal with that temporarily. The check in at customs waved her towards a side door, where a pair of troopers were on duty. They saluted as she walked into the republic check in area.

“Business or pleasure, ensign?” the clerk asked, looking up. It was not a busy day for him.

“Pleasure. They’ve been trying to rotate people in and out to keep us fresh, y’know.” she shrugged, handing over the datastick with the relevant orders. There was the requisite wait time, and then he nodded, unhooking it and handing back over “Thanks ensign. What’s your destination?”

“Sunset resort.” she said, after having to drag up the name.

“Really? Sunset?” the clerks’ eyebrows shot up.

“Ya, why do you look surprised?”

“Sunset’s kind of on the high end of things. Pretty expensive. But, hey, more power to ya. I’ve updated your permissions and got you a flight out there, though somebody already paid for it. Meeting someone eh ensign?” the clerk winked. Clearly this was all he had to do all day, so she didn’t begrudge him it.

She tipped him before moving on. The cost of the thing hit her when she realized that when he’d said “got you a flight” he’d meant a private suborbital shuttlecraft. The inside was so clean she unconsciously wiped her hands on her uniform in an effort to make sure she didn’t get any grime on them, and felt vastly underdressed in her regular officers coat. On the other hand, and what soon came to the forefront, was that there was a butler and her chair vibrated.

“Greetings, valued patron.” said a voice as the shuttle began to descend from high atmosphere, and the Rodian woman turned her chair to look at the viewscreen that had popped up “You will soon be touching down at Sunset Resort, one of the premier resorts here on Mon Cala, and home of the famous Sunset Deck, where a breathtaking view that can only be seen here takes place every evening. Whether this is your first or fiftieth time visiting us, be assured your stay will be comfortable regardless of species.”

The pretty pink Calamari woman in her dress gestured, and an image of the resort flashed by, showing the layout. It looked nice, for sure, with a true touch of luxury rather than the pretty-but-functional architecture of Dac city. She barely felt the shuttle touch down as they landed, and she thanked the crew as they waited for her near the exit. Outside was another person, waiting for her, though not the one she expected. It was a young Twi’lek woman, probably about her age, dressed in light and slightly see-through black outfit that accented her skin. She bowed politely, and Sinee stood a bit frozen, unsure how to respond.

“You are the Rodian Sinee, guest of the Cathar Ca Jor?”

“Ya, I mean, yes, that’s me.” Sinee straightened up.

“Welcome. If you’ll follow me we’ll get you all set up. I am Abar’sena, your concierge and guide. Please, come with me, your luggage will be taken care of.”

The terminal of the resort was in some ways the opposite of the one back in Dac city. There was very little movement, for one thing, with only a few crews moving between the shuttles, cleaning or maintaining them. She also noticed that it was quiet, and she realized she hadn’t really heard the shuttle winding up before takeoff. She watched as another shuttle swooped in, quiet as the wind, and landed with barely a hiss.

“We take pains here to ensure a quiet stay for guests, with the exception of of course Club Twilight, where one can let their lekku’s out a bit more. I understand you and Ca Jor are here for pleasure?”

“Oh, uh, yea.” Sinee refocused on the Twi’lek, who smiled.

“We have a wide variety of things to pursue to that end, which I have no doubt you two will like to peruse once you’ve settled in.”

The lobby was grand, like the entrance to a palace. She vaguely recalled seeing pictures of the lobby of the galactic senate and was put in mind of that. They were walking across transparisteel, which must have been worth the cost of a small capital ship. Beautiful coral gently waved beneath as fish darted between them, and she spotted something that reminded her bizarrely of Ca Jors patterns float on by lazily.

Check in went quick. She felt eyes on her the whole time, people judging her. She refused to let it get to her, back straight. She may not have been tall but she’d be hounded by hunters before she let a bunch of hoity toity elites and coruscant nobles look down their noses and other olfactory organs at her. She was in the navy, and saving their rears, after all. How Ca Jor had afforded this she had no idea, and she meant to interrogate him on it, but she was here.

There was a brief stop at a tailor who took her measurements, before she finally arrived at the suite. She straightened out her uniform and idly ran a hand to check her hair. She had it tied back in a tail; a lot of females in the fleet who had hair had started aping admiral Dadonna’s style.

“You look fine, Sileen. Your Cathar will be most pleased to see you, I don’t doubt.” Abar’sena assured her as she handed over a keycard “Please, call on me when you need me. Welcome again to the Sunset.”

Sinee took a breath and opened the door. The front door opened up into a proper living area, with a small kitchenette and dining area. A side door led to what she assumed was the bedroom, but the main view was taken up by a large, adjustable transparency sliding door and balcony, and beyond that, the ocean; and there, standing on the balcony, leaning on the railing, his mane moving in the breeze, was her man. He was out of uniform, instead wearing that traditional robe his people favored in more formal settings. She remembered to close the door behind her, before she ran, the officer’s cap forgotten.

He caught her and held her and everything was alright for a moment. Money didn’t matter, the war didn’t matter, nothing mattered. It was just the two of them, and the kiss they shared made all her tensions melt away. She let herself down to the floor and kept close to his chest. He was as warm as ever, and the robe felt soft under her scales. She didn’t know if it was going to be like this every time, but she knew she loved that it was.

“I missed you.” he said first, tracing his fingers over the back of her neck.

“Shut up. I missed you too.” she buried her face in his chest fur.

“Wanna change out of that?” he asked gently.

“Wanna help?” she countered, looking up at him.

“How exactly can you afford all this?” she asked, sitting on the edge of their bed and browsing through the datapad catalog. She took the wineglass he offered her, and sipped. She could definitely taste the credits.

“I’ve been bussing tables on the side.” he said, sitting next to her. She leaned into his warmth as she browsed.

“I can really order whatever?”

“Yeah. It’s all good.” he slipped an arm around her.

“You’re not doing anything illegal, right?” she glanced up at him, only half serious.

“Nope. The real answer is I’ve been uh, tapped to do some special stuff for the Republic. Y’know my squad?”

“Claw squad, right?” she went back to browsing, eyeing up a dress.

“Nah, we decided to go with Havoc. We’ve been tapped for some pretty important stuff and been getting big bonus pay and bounty pay out of it.”

“But you’re not gonna tell me what.”

“Yeah, classified stuff. That’s really pretty. I think you’d look good in it.” He indicated a white cloth dress she’d been adjusting “You’ll need one for dinner anyway.”

“They can get it done that fast?”

“Ya. Rich people live crazy huh?” Ca Jor sipped his wine with a grin.

“I’m gonna get a bikini too, but you’re not allowed to see it until I’m in it.” she declared.

It really was possible to order the dress and get it tailored in the span of a few hours. She and Ca Jor passed the time together until she got a comm that it was ready for final fitting, and she excused herself. She had changed into something more relaxed, though maybe a few thousand credits shy of what most of the people wandering around wore. It didn’t make a difference to her, she was already enjoying herself more than most of them could ever hope to.

She deeply enjoyed the process of getting the dress measured and tailored around her, standing and letting the human seamstress do her work. Part of her she hadn’t had out in a long while remembered watching vids of fantasy worlds and princesses, and that bit that had always wanted to be like one of those feudal ladies bubbled up. It wasn’t even really a thing in Rodian culture, but what was Rodian culture to someone from Ord Mantell? She couldn’t even remember Rodia.

Ca Jor wasn’t trashy. He took her to nice places, but kind of a working-class nice. Cloth napkins were a luxury for them. But now he’d gone and given her the princess treatment, and while she had already enjoyed it so far, she admitted to feeling a little off. They’d been on dates all over, in dive bars, at concerts, in the middle of riots at least twice. Since joining the Republic it had been a little more structured, and she wondered if that was the big difference with this one. They weren’t doing anything in particular, just being with each other, even if it was in a place beyond her fanciest imagination.

But, amidst all that luxury and joy, a bubble of worry rolled up its way into her mind. It was a worry that popped up more often then she liked, especially now that they were separated so often, that Ca Jor wouldn’t be there when she got back. She knew it was a silly worry, born out of some psychological trick her mind liked to play on herself, but she found herself walking a little faster without realizing it. She cursed her own mind and slowed her pace, trying to wrestle it all down.

The fact was, Ca Jor wasn’t trashy, he was a hero. The happier she was, the more likely it was that the thoughts would try to intrude in and remind her that eventually, he was going to wake up. She was a Rodian, and he was a Cathar. He had a people to save, she was just a ship’s navigator. He was out there saving the universe, she was plotting out fuel depot stops. Eventually he would realize she wasn’t good enough for him and he would move on. His sister would be right.

But he was there, and was holding her before she realized it. She had stumbled into the suite, and he had been there immediately. He pulled her out into the afternoon sun, and she curled up on his lap as he stroked her hair. It was what he’d always done when she’d talked herself into this state, even before they were dating officially. Back then there were others as well, their friends of course, and her father.

“I’ll always be here, Sinee.” he finally said after the worst of it had passed.

She really did get to feel like a princess, that little girl unsealed for a little bit excitedly. The dress was white, and sleeveless, but had a pair of cloth ‘wings’ that draped from the back and then came up again, attached to her upper arms by two cloth bands. She looked like something off a newscast from Alderaan. Now that the storm had passed, she was able to wallow in the selfish feeling of being spoiled and she had to admit to herself she liked it.

Ca Jor, for his part, looked good too. He was wearing some fancy, formal version of a cathar robe, complete with sash and high collar. He looked like a prince, with his mane combed out and his pressed robe. She hung on his arm as they walked to the restaurant, the Sunset Deck, ignoring any odd stares thrown their way and soaking up the jealousy of any envious ones like a power coupling.

The Deck lived up to its name. It was a broad restaurant, one of many, as she understood it, but it gave a wonderful view of the western horizon, with the tables spaced out nicely. There was a live band, playing some strange stringed instruments using bows. It was something different, and she didn’t hate it at all. They got their table, were handed the real, actual paper menus, and then they were left alone with a bottle in a pail of ice.

“So, we’ve got a few days here…I wanted to go to the beach for sure. We both enjoy sunning so it seems like it makes sense, right?” Ca Jor said as he poured them both a drink.

“Ya, that sounds great. There’s a real club here too right? Like, with proper music?”

“Yep, scoped it out a little bit. It’s a little grown up but I think we’ll be alright.” he grinned, and she smiled back.

They chatted idly, avoiding the topic of the war and sticking to home, and the resort. The appetizer was some sort of steamed fish in a spiced butter. Their entree was bought out in time for the lights in the room to dim and the music to cease.

“Sentients, please turn your gaze to the west.” a voice came out over the speakers.

They looked. The sun was setting in the west, and the stars were coming visible, and then the lightshow started. It spread across the horizon, lights dancing above the curve of the world, and they both sat in silence. She felt Ca Jors hand take hers, and she barely glanced at it. Neither had ever seen anything like it. She squeezed his hand in the silence of the restaurant and the dancing lights above.

After a few minutes, the lights began to fade, and the restaurant lights came up. The band started up again, and they breathed together for a moment before turning to their food, kept hot by the expensive plates.

The steak she had gotten was amazingly seasoned, and well cooked, though she admitted she wouldn’t have minded one of Ca Jor’s or his brother’s strips instead. They had gone quiet to eat a bit, contemplating the sight they had seen, when Ca Jor spoke up.

“I wanna get married while we’re here.”

“Sure babe, sounds awesome. I can get another dress.” she said automatically, before her brain caught up to her ears and mouth. Her fork stopped halfway to her mouth. Ca Jor was watching her, a mixture of worry and hope on his face. She finished eating the piece of meat she cut, and set her utensils down.

“What?” She finally managed to ask.

“I want to get married. To you. While we’re here.”

“Married?” she asked, sounding like the concept was foreign.

“Yeah.” Ca Jor continued to watch her.

“To me.” she clarified. He nodded.

Her heart was in her ears. She wanted to panic, but another part of her was celebrating wildly, and wanted to jump up and down. Marriage was an odd thing; they were from two different species, but had grown up in Ord Mantell, in the melting pot culture of that world. What was marriage to both of them? Ca Jor had certainly hunted enough for her to be worthy in the Rodian sense, though she was less familiar with the Cathar customs. Did she have a good set of earrings? Earrings seemed important.

She realized he was still looking at her, and she struggled for a moment to say anything, the right thing, while trying desperately to not say the wrong thing. She finally settled on something that had bubbled up to the surface out of her head.

“Why now?”

“I was talking to some people about…legal stuff. Y’know, the Republic honors interspecies marriages, and it means if something were to happen to either of us, the other would have full rights. We could take leave to visit the other, or take convalescence, or whatever. But if we’re just seeing each other…” he trailed off, looking distraught at the thought. She laid her hands on the table, and he took them.

“I love you Sinee. I want the world to know that. We can have two traditional weddings when things calm down, and we have time. But I want to be your husband now.”

She answered by standing, not letting go of his hands, and kissing him firmly. It was salty, since they were both crying.

Of course, she had forgotten they were in a restaurant, and she heard a slightly drunken but jovial voice shout “A betrothal! Cheers for the betrothed!”

There was a smattering of applause and even some cheers form the guest, all in a sort of strangely upper class way that was hard to describe or put their finger on. It did lead to their tab being picked up, though, and they finished their dinner with quiet embarrassment and constant looks at one another. They took their dessert to go.

Gentle sounds of waves on the beach reached the open window of the rehabilitation clinic’s room, tiled floors reflecting the moonlight outside. Sinee opened her eyes, luminous Rodian eyes adjusting easily to the dim, finding the clock on her bedside table and letting her eyes focus until the splotch of dim light turned into 0300. She rolled her head the other direction, her hand coming up to touch the fur on her husband’s hand. He was laid out in the large chair he’d found somewhere, deep asleep, pulled right up to the bed. No nightmares tonight for either of them, it seemed. He had been so exhausted when he’d arrived, but mostly happy, scooping her up and talking of victory.

She took the massive form in, slumped back in the chair. His broad chest rose and fell in steady rhythm, and she could feel the gentle twitch of the muscles in his hand as he dreamed. A man who could rip apart a bulkhead when angered but she knew deep down he was as gentle as the breeze outside. She could smell his calmness in the air, the cathars’ pheromones dominating the room, seeming to wrap her up as much as those arms might, and she lingered, the warmth of her husband in her eyes. Eventually though, the pressure in her abdomen got to the point she could no longer ignore it. Without thinking, she swung her legs over the edge of the bed, as quietly as she could.

A shiver ran through her at the cool feeling of the tile on her feet, and she padded towards the bathroom. She had taken a few steps, the hurt in her leg seeming only distant, when suddenly it was blinding, flashing, and she was falling. The room spun as the floor came up to meet her.

The doctor looked between the young couple. A massive, truly massive Cathar, who barely fit in the offered seat, and his wife, a lovely young Rodian woman ravaged by starvation at the hands of the Empire, though to the great pleasure of the doctor she looked a light years difference from when she had first arrived. Her husband’s arm acted as her arm rest, her slim limb almost disappearing into his fur. She was slumped back in her wheelchair, but her eyes were focused. He couldn’t control the waggle of his barbels, fighting back a wave of sadness at the atrocities of war and the fearful look in the young Cathar’s eyes. He forced himself to smile.

“The good news is the ensign should make a full recovery. We are past the roughest currents, and now it is simply a matter of time and therapy.”

The young Sergeant Major practically melted before the Mon Calamaris eyes, a tension in his shoulders flowing from him. The doctor spotted the tears well up in both their eyes, and busied himself with his paperwork for a moment as he let the moment pass and the two sailors gathered themselves.

“That is not to say it is all calm seas ahead.” the doctor noted as he laid his paperwork back down “You’ve a lot of therapy ahead, both for body and mind, Ensign Sinee, though you’ve already shown good progress. You’re using the chair less and less these days, and you seem to be able to walk largely unassisted with the cane, mm?”

“Yes, captain.” she replied quietly, “I’m just so tired.”

“Another side effect. Your body is repairing itself, after all, and that takes quite a bit of energy. I note that your nurses say you’ve been awake for longer and longer periods though, and that means you are recovering.” his barbels quivered again, this time with a smile.

“What’s next for her, captain?”

“As I said, therapy. That means moving her to one of our rehabilitation facilities here on Dac, though good news on that front, a space has already been reserved at one of the more, mm, established facilities near the equator. Prestigious even.” his barbells quivered as he looked at the paperwork. He hadn’t thought to question how or why, but it did seem odd saying it outloud. Still, he was just a navy doctor, and the orders were quite well marked. The force was with them on the draw, he supposed.

“What will I have to do?” the Rodian sat up in her chair as best she could, and the doctor watched the muscles in the Cathar move without his body actually moving, as he resisted the urge to help her. Good lad, he thought to himself silently.

“And what about long term effects?” the Cathar asked as well, allowing himself to look at her.

“Well, your diet will remain strictly regimented as you go forward, though over time greater allowances will be made. We’ll see you back to your normal body weight in a few months I hope.” his barbels waggled in thought “While doing that your therapist will also be working on rebuilding your muscle mass. Resistance training. As you can no doubt guess, aqua therapy is common here.”

That elicited a small smile from the Rodian, and the doctor looked between them.

“For long term effects, well, the force was with us when you retrieved her. Much longer and certain long term effects could have been fatal, but the sith knew how to keep her on the edge of it I suppose.” he let his vision roll down one side to read the paperwork while he kept the other on the two “However, there was some other damage, of course.”

This was the hardest part. Young soldiers, the best of their generation, sent out into the grinder and turned over to him to try and put together. But there was only so much he could do without asking them to lose parts of themselves.

“The atrophy in your wifes legs was quite severe, likely the result of her…mm, torture. While she will, in time, with the proper therapy, regain their full functionality, I must say it will likely be a year before she can walk completely safely without a cane. As such I must insist you keep it on you, Ensign. I would rather not have to install any cybernetics, mm?” his barbells twitched in a smile.

Hands were on the side of her head, and she was on her back. She lay in a puddle. Her husband’s form filled her vision, blocking out the bright light of the room as the nurse gently touched her neck, moving it carefully. Ca Jor hovered, far enough back to give room, but looming nevertheless. The worry came off him in waves.

“Close your membrane for me please.” said the Twi’lek, gently manipulating her head. Sinee complied, the membrane sliding over her eyes. The nurse brought up a light and shined it, and she tracked it with her eyes “Alright, and what was my name?”

“Nurse Giza” Sinee answered without a beat missed, blinking at the light and trying not to squint.

“Good.” the brown skinned nurse said as she pulled out her datapad, the Rodians head nestled between her legs to keep it still. There was a brief moment of beeping, and then she looked down “What happened?”

“I had to use the bathroom, and I got up, and I was walking, and then it hurt and I fainted.” the Rodian looked up at the Twi’lek nurse, who checked her datapad and nodded. Ca Jor had moved away quietly, but his scent had filled the room now, and there was no way for him to hide his distress and worry. She fought back tears.

“Does it still hurt?” the nurse asked, noticing the wetness, and then she glanced at the nearby Cathar, seeming to draw a conclusion.

“No.” Sinee said honestly. It had been in that moment like the worst cramp she’d ever had, but now it felt normal again, a dull ache.

“She doesn’t seem to have hurt her neck at all, and she’s not showing any signs of a concussion.” she said to the doctor who had just entered the room “Scans are clean.”

“Alright.” the human knelt next to her “Can you wiggle your fingers and toes for me?”

The Rodian did so, feeling embarrassment at her state. She knew it was silly. But here she was, laying in a puddle of her own urine, in her underwear.

“If the scans are clear we’ll call this safe for now.” the doctor declared, once satisfied “I’ll have sanitation come in and clean up. Sergeant Major, you’re free to move your wife now.”

Then he was there, lifting her up, cradling her head.

“Ca, no, I’m…dirty…” her voice began to break down, tears welling in her eyes. Relief now poured off him, and she was so close, and all she could feel was ashamed.

“Let’s clean you up then.” he said simply, looking to the doctor and the nurse “Thankyou both for coming so quick. I’ll help her with the shower.”

Warm steam enveloped her as she sat in the shower chair, idly putting soap on her scales. It was her third layer. She knew she was already clean, but it didn’t seem like enough. There was a knock on the door and she looked up at her husband’s voice, responding in the positive. The door opened and he came in, filling up the modest bathroom space. Through the haze of the steam she watched him set a few things on the sink, and then he walked over and sat on the toilet.

She looked through the steam at him, then away, tears welling her up in her eyes. She heard the shower door open, and felt the shower nozzle taken from her. She couldn’t stop him if he tried, but his hands were gentle as they were strong.

“I’m sorry, Ca Jor.” she finally managed, after he had helped wash her down, fur on his arms and hands becoming soaked with the warm water.

“You fell, Sinee. It happens.” he said, simply. His pheromones mixed with the smell of the soap.

“It didn’t used to.” she almost whispered, her voice hoarse, as if with anger; and she was angry, suddenly, angry to the point she wanted to cry, or scream, feeling it bubble up in her chest. Ca Jor said nothing as he set the hose back into its holder, letting the water fall onto her in a gentle stream as he sat back down again. He said nothing as she let out a cry, burying her face in her palms and pushing her hands into her eyes, tears streaming. Then he was there, putting his arms around her, his fatigue shirt and fur getting soaked as he held her in the shower. His scent wrapped her up. Sadness and relief and the scent she had come to associate with his love wrapped her up as much as his arms did. No matter what, it was still there.

2 Likes