Making Medicine Crafting More Useful (LEGACY)

I’ve noticed a current trend with how medicine works in legacy: Namely that it often doesn’t. Medicine and it’s items are locked behind the medicine skill line, even for items that might be general use or easy to use. Items such as high-power stims require you to invest a significant amount of levels into medicine to replicate some of the benefits of things like Force Speed or Force Rage, such as overcapping skills into the green mark beyond what the +55 Stat Cap currently is.

This also makes Medicine the least marketable player-based crafting beyond resuscitation kits. They can’t sell their other products, because their craft skill directly correlates to the usage skill- which defeats the point of even selling it in the first place. Engineers can sell blasters and modifications. Armorers can sell all types of armors. Weaponsmiths have access to all of the weapons, throwables, and cool grenades. Fabrication makes ships and atmosphere bonus for others. Medicine is the only skill that feels wholly insular and doesn’t benefit outside individuals, not including the fact that there isn’t a Medical Guild for them to turn their crafts into for gold or value points.

I recommend that items such as stimulants and health/force packs become useable regardless of your current medicine level, at a base line, and allow people looking to get more invested into these items take the Medicine skill tree and benefit from the additional skills such as more powerful heals, extended heal timers, longer stims per usage, and whatnot. It still gives credence to pursuing Medicine as it’s own skill, and people will actually go to Medicine users for their temporary buffs and healing items.

2 Likes

Hi, Glitch’s player here.

As one of the very, very few people who is rank 50 in medicine, I can certainly agree with the original post. So far the only thing I have ever been reliably asked to make are T1 resuscitation kits.

… That’s it. T1 Resuscitation kits. Because everything else can at BEST be of utterly no use to them, and at WORST actually hurt people. Imagine my surprise when I handed out some T5 heal kits to people for some work they did for me, only to find out later that the kits killed them when they were fighting and they needed healing? Because it gave them -18 healing and started to actively hurt them.

I know when I joined the server, one of the things I was told was ‘no one takes medicine, everyone just takes Force Heal, even if they aren’t really trying to be a force user’… and I can see why. There isn’t any support for Medicine as the OP pointed out, no guild for us to turn our craft into profit, and no PC customers to sell our goods to.

I understand at this juncture, with the revamp being higher priority, there would be little reason to give guild crafting to medicine. I would however ask that there be made more options for people to use higher end medicine items without needing higher medicine skill. This would also then be a request to buff those who DO have the medicine skill investment, by increasing strength/duration of consumables, or by some other method.

Another unique thought about what could be done: some other skills have passive traits, for example, more light armor skill means more AC. Why not give medicine a similar boon?
My thought would be for every 10 ranks of medicine it could do any of the combination of things:

1. reduce the cooldown of the natural regen heartbeat for the skilled person and members of their party
  2. increase the potency of the natural regen heartbeat for themselves and party members
  3. add 1/2 their own competency in medicine to other party members, allowing them to use higher level medical supplies (up to a cap of course, and would not affect crafting)

these are just ideas, and something else entirely could be done too, but the above three mentions would give reason as to have people with medicine in your party.

2 Likes