Martial Arts and Force Power resistance

Awesome idea, I like it. However it’s recently been tested that you get the Force Power resistance even if you aren’t unarmed or using a martial arts weapon, so long as you’re equipped with a power glove. This should probably be changed to only work when completely unarmed, or using a Martial Arts weapon.

As it stands, someone with a blaster can just throw on a power glove and not only get +BAB bonuses from the glove, but also get Force power resistance.

When I looked at the code, martial arts provided force resistance regardless of what weapon one has equipped. The character needs neither power gloves nor a martial arts weapon.

From my understanding, here’s how the calculation works:

Offensive caster’s formula: 1d20 + Force Alter + INT mod
VS
10 +
Highest of:
{Lightsabers (If there is a lightsaber equipped on either hand),
Martial Arts,
Force Alter}
Plus INT mod

So only the lightsabers skill requires one to have a lightsaber equipped. If not, then it will check for the higher of Martial Arts or Force Alter skill. Personally I’m not sure if it really makes sense for MA to suddenly not provide anything if someone has a blaster or another weapon equipped, they still have the training.

It disincentivizes Martial Arts weapons and unarmed combat.* I’m of the opinion that MA needs a buff. For instance a special ability that requires either unarmed or a martial arts weapon be equipped that makes the user immune to slows for a short period. This will allow martial artists to close the gap between themselves and Force Users, without providing a buff to every other build by proxy. If you equip another weapon, the buff falls off.

*Meaning why actually use Martial Arts when you can just train it up, switch to another weapon, and keep the passive benefits? It’d be like keeping blaster deflection when not using a lightsaber, or being able to cleave while not using a Heavy Vibroblade

I’m not sure what the suggestion is here?

It’s intended that Martial Arts provides passive Force resistance (it was inspired by Teras Kasii, or however it’s spelt). With Martial Arts tending to be a weaker skill than other weapons, this is an optional investment for a non-force user to gain force resistance…if they’re willing to invest in a whole skill for it.

The suggestion is to make Martial Arts a viable skill all on it’s own, rather than something most non-forcies will dump a bunch of points into and then never use it. Remove the passive bonus unless you’re unarmed or equipped with an MA weapon, and give it one or two extra abilities so that it’s a competitive choice.

Hm, in that case, what would blaster or vibroblade users do to invest in protecting themselves from Force abilities? Is the implication of the suggestion that you think resisting Force abilities should be locked to a couple of archetypes? If so, I don’t agree :slight_smile:

Blaster users have a really good method of taking down Forcies. They’re called blasters.

Melee builds could also use a buff in that regard, such as a gap closer to prevent Force-Witches from hitting them with push and kiting the crap out of them. A jetpack consumable would fit well here, or a similar ability to what was suggested for Martial Artists to negate slows for a short period of time. Pretty much everyone runs balanced stance when they’re going up against Forcies, so the knockdown effect rarely comes into play.

Have you seen the leg shot wombo-combo?

Blasters currently trump forcies pretty damn well especially if they just take balanced stance so they can’t be KD’d.

At the moment, Leg Shot allows me to do almost 100 total damage on my opening shot, non-crit. I can get roughly six shots off at the first round of combat, firing off in two-shot bursts. I’m getting close to around 540+ HP so it’s basically a matter of dishing out as much damage as possible before their Force powers eat up my HP.

I know on average, my shots do around 50-60 damage. Heavy armor will be my biggest bane due to the resistances.