Overlevelled Blasters

So blasters, if they’re overlevel for you, apply a penalty on both the rifle and the ammo. It should only apply on the ammo at best. I equipped an overlevelled blaster and had -10 AB…even with my +8 DEX mod!

Do you mean both attack and damage, and that the penalty should only apply to damage? I’m not sure I agree. If you had something giving you a -10 penalty to AB, you must have been seriously overclocked on that blaster. It’s a balance mechanism to prevent you from effectively fighting many levels above your skill tier.

Blaster Rifle is my primary weapon, so the gamer in me certainly understands your desire to get dinged less by fielding an overclocked weapon- particularly as force wielders can blitz you for several hundred damage in a hit right now. But I feel the answer is to correctly balance force powers, rather than letting people overclock their blasters to extremely high levels, which would create its own balance issues.

JMO and whatnot.

I mean, because the game is applying the -5 ab and -5 enhancement TWICE (once on the blaster, once on the ammo, as well as the -5 damage), it’s literally impossible to use an overlevelled rifle, even if you have the stats for it.

Yes, I think that’s intentional. Also, remember that you can add a yellow mod (sometimes more than one, depending on the level of blaster and number of yellow mod slots) that will lower the EL of the blaster by 5. So, with yellow mods, there is some ability to field what would ordinarily be a more powerful blaster.

Yes, but it’s receiving double the penalty of other weapons, since the penalty caps at -5. Any other weapon only applies it on the weapon, not additionally on the ammo.

Okay, I see the point you’re making there. That’s fair.