PVP Tools and suggestions

For now, PVP on the server is full-rp-only. I mean, it has no purpose except playing your character as she/he should behave. I suggest adding different PVP Tools and tweaking the OnDeath consequences.

As an example, on eFu server, there are 3 ways of PVPing :

1. Subdual mode : You can fight until you “knock down” someone. His PC will be on the floor, stuck at 1 HP, There are no consequences, except that you have to roleplay everything properly.

2. There is another way which is called "Blackout mode " : when a player character is reduced to zero health points, they are knocked unconscious and transported to a “blackout” area to represent this. A placable/item is then spawned to represent a corpse which is able to be awoken/moved by the party that knocked the player unconscious (or perhaps other parties)

3. Full Damage Mode : when a player character is reduced to negative ten hit points, they die, and cannot respawn.

Well, i’m not saying that we should follow how it works on EfU.
I think, though, that we might need a more challenging or competitive way of PVPing, especially when every involved PC agrees.

First, as general changes for every players, I would increase durability loss on death and add a money loss percentage (let’s say 10%).
Not really a penalty, but you have to be more cautious than what i’ve seen for now on the server.

Then, i’d add some PVP tools.

By default, i would use the “subdual mode”, which is different from classic death because you don’t suffer any penalty (no durability loss, no money loss). You’re just knocked down, and have to roleplay it long enough. Then you can get on your feets and continue playing. That mode would be nice for cantinas fights, training with friends, small street brawls…

If players want to have a more challenging PVP, i’d add a "classic death" mode, where you suffer durability loss, money loss AND loose your handed weapons. I don’t think it is an amazing penalty to loose your favorite weapon : yes, it could have been expensive or long to find all the needed components and bonus. But still…

Then, i’d add a third mode, “punishing death” where you can kill a PC and loot his backpack. PC would suffer durability loss, money loss, but may have a chance to reach their backpacks after respawning.

By default, “subdual” mode would be used, and “classic death” or “punishing death” modes would only work if ALL involved players have set said mode on their pvp tool.

The only way I would support anything other than subdual mode, is if grinding were eliminated and everyone was allowed to spend their 500 sp however they wished, at character creation.

Otherwise, you get a server dominated by swaggering bullies that have grinded their way to the top of the food chain. Not the roleplaying environment I would wish, nor the environment I would care for players to have to navigate, when trying to enjoy the server.

1 Like

As someone who plays on EFU pretty avidly from time to time, I can confidently say that the server design would not benefit from a permadeath pvp setting. The grind is not conducive to it, and EFU is a server with a much smaller level range that allows for pvp to be more fair and is explicitly intended to have characters with shorter lifespans to be the driving force behind server, story, and plot development.

I love EFU, it’s probably my favorite server but a Permadeath PVP setting would not benefit our server or community very well.

On the other hand, a Blackout Mode where you can kidnap people would be great. I would support that and love it forever. Blackout and Subdual on EFU are the best pvp mechanics I’ve seen because they allow you to kidnap someone without actually expecting them to mechanically follow you. It creates a corpse item and transports the actual PC to the Blackout zone where they can’t move or act until woken up. This way you don’t have to rely on players to be honest in role playing their kidnappings or defeats. You can just kidnap them.

I might be in favor of allowing people to drop their carried weapons on death but that’s a system I really hated from PotM. Then again it could at least make pvp worth something on a server without permadeath. You could potentially take some interesting weapons that can always be made again. As long as there is something to take into consideration how lightsabers work if the attunement system (which would be a good system) is implemented so that players can’t pick up another player’s lightsaber and get all of their attunement bonuses.

I don’t want an EFU style looting system where you can take people’s stuff though, since it would enable people with strong builds like me to just pick on and bully people who are dedicated crafters and farmers who get materials to just steal from them whenever I wanted and take their stuff instead of feeding into the server economy. But I don’t think you were suggesting that.

Not permadeath without a dm, without an event.

Droping? Alright…With difference: The item is stolen, can not be sold for normal npcs anymore.

All crafted items have to carry the name of the pc crafter, to make clear who it was that produced, and to have a special widget to “register” the item as "Property of Character"

Ok to “die” and wake-up inside of a hospital. If a character want to fight against someone to kidnap or capture, better to use subdual damage, reduce the hp to 1 and make the character stunned icly and oocly move the character to your wanted point to roleplay moments later, after he or she “wake up”. Of course, need respect with both sides to agree if the loser acept to end captured. Better to have respect to make this happen instead a system.

About droping:
Current armor and / or shield, and helmet? ok.

About Durability loss:
Everything.

Before placing open pvp around: I recommend to prepare icly and oocly rules clear to everyone. “just in case”, to people know the acceptable limits and respect the roleplay of others.

As a side note, I hope the players have some sense of balance and respect before jumping to pvp directly for the first small reason. I mean, if a group of players goes hunting and following a single player, or a player who has already reached the capsule behind someone who has barely reached 200 skill points, with no clear and real reason, it would be complex to deal with.

By putting a system that each crafted item comes out with the creator’s name in the item description, and an object that “register” in the items description as owned by another, will allow you to have some sense of security to whoever loses the fights. Risk and excitement for those who win, having to negotiate stolen items in the underworld. For players or npcs who are authorities, they have means to investigate who stole what and where the item went, serving as criminal evidence against a particular player.

Before releasing open pvp or changing the current state of things about this, I strongly recommend having clear rules oocly to all players, and clear icly laws to all characters, to avoid problems, confusion and misinterpretation for vague or contradictory information by accident.

I just wanna clarify for both of you, or everyone else who could misunderstand my post : i wasn’t suggestting that SWLOR should use the same system as EfU.
It was just here as an example of how it works on another interesting server.

I think PVP on EfU works pretty well that way because, as [Metal_Viking_Guy] said, the server story and the lifespan of the PC’s permits it to work in a fair way.
That is not something i would like to see on SWLOR though.

I don’t think a Permadeath system would make sense here, except for special events with DM, when players are aware of the risks.

What i was suggesting though, was a more challenging and competitive way of PVPing when ALL INVOLVED PLAYERS AGREES, which avoid the bullying, griefing and harassment of other players.

To conclude, i agree with Luna’s suggestions about item drops, and i think it could bring some really interesting RP situations in the mid-term.