Research document - Shadow of Unease

This document is for my (Cril’hor, the author) personal use, meant to be a means of recording my ongoing studies and progress. Part of me loathes the idea of this scientific approach to something esoteric and mysterious. But I believe there is still room for that as I progress.

THE ABILITY

What I aim to achieve has been described in various texts and holocrons as an aura, or more metaphorically a shadow. I enjoy this latter term for its poetic nature, and thus will be using it during the course of this document.

It is, in essence, a way to tap into one’s connection of the Dark Side to create a space, an area or a barrier of some proportion. Unseen but not unnoticed. The effect of this Shadow can be divided into two parts depending on the nature of the entity entering within its radius.

To begin with, by projecting one’s connection a space is created which resonates with a sense of dread, danger and hostility. From this we come to part one: it is said that animals and creatures naturally shun the practitioner as they sense danger and discomfort. This allows the practitioner to pass through potentially dangerous wildlife without harm. The Shadow preys on that atavistic sense of flight for survival to get out of harm’s way.

The second part involves entities with a higher range of faculties and thought, those being mainly humanoids of all kinds. “People” as you will. The truly frustrating type of nuisance regardless. A competent wielder of the Shadow is said to be able to use it against others to confuse them, primarily within the mind which in most cases also affects the body in turn. A sense of disorientation and unease seems a common effect, and on those with less willpower, a suffocating or drowning sense of doom and despair.

THE METHOD

I shall be outlining the procedural method of research in this section. It will gradually progress from a very personal, small environment to include live test subjects and field training as follows:

1. Personal testing to attempt to manifest the basics of the power.

2. Practicing on test subjects, caged animals.

3. Practicing on humanoid subjects, willing or otherwise.

4. Field testing in actual situations, both against wildlife and humanoids.

5. There will be success.

1. Personal testing to attempt to manifest the basics of the power.

I have begun these preliminary tryouts to manifest the power on a smaller scale. The beginning was, naturally, the hardest part. What I surmised beforehand was that the ability works, in part, in reverse to a skill enabling one to suppress one’s connection to the Force, making it harder for others to detect one’s capabilities. With the Shadow, however, I would be required to actively broaden my connection, tap into it and project it outward.

My very first attempt felt forced, as I was trying to work the Shadow out with determined rage. It felt as though I was attempting to push a large boulder uphill. That was a mistake. It may work for some as a method of manifesting their abilities, but brute force and blind rage has never been my way. So needless to say the attempt failed, and I felt out of breath.

The second try gave me results, I believe. This time I eased into it, calm and collected. Rather than wrestling with my inner darkness, I sank into it and allowed it to slowly run out to be sculpted and expanded. It was still taxing, somewhat, but I managed to stand at ease and open my eyes. After all, the key of this ability is being able to maintain both it and relative freedom of thought and action alongside it. Otherwise it is useless.

4. Field testing in actual situations, both against wildlife and humanoids

For various reasons, I have moved on to this part of my studies and training to expedite matters. I shall be going through planetary fauna, humanoid or otherwise, one by one, to further my knowledge.

Korriban

I begun with the planet I now call home. The native bugs and slugs are not particularly threatening to me at this stage. But I was met with abject failure nonetheless. I managed to manifest the power well enough, but as I may have guessed, the local creatures are inundated with the Dark Side, thus affecting them with an aura will be far more difficult than elsewhere. Though there is Dark Side influence on other planets as well, very few are soaked to the core with it as Korriban is. However it was practice all the same.

Tatooine

On Tatooine I had great success after realizing my mistake, which I shall keep to myself and not lay out here, for it does vex and embarrass me so. Nonetheless, I started with the most common pest on the sands, the womprat. Sure enough the creature turns from me and moves away cautiously when it senses the aura.

Further in I attempt the same with the insectoids. Beetles, sandswimmers and sand demons. The aura mostly works, though one sandswimmer attacks me after reluctantly moving away. This brings to mind the difference between mammals and insects, how they view the world around them and their own selves. Suffice to say that mammals have more of a concept of self than insectoids do. Mammals have a sense of self-preservation whereas insects act more on simple base instincts to satisfy their need for sustenance. A more singular drive. Thus they are, as apparent, much harder to influence as they simply… do not respond to negative stimuli the aura projects as firmly as mammals do. It functions well enough, but this does teach one valuable lesson: know your creatures.

On the humanoid side, I engaged with number two on the list of Tatooine’s pests, the Tusken. As expected, the aura confounds them, makes them afraid and skittish. It does not stop them from fighting when I engage them, but does lower their prowess, resolve and focus. Exactly what I desired.

Hutlar

Hutlar’s fauna is not as varied as on some other planets. No doubt the temperature has something to do with the matter. Regardless, I was keen to test myself, both through skill and knowledge. I was not disappointed.

The tigers, a form of apex predator on the planet, behaves as one would expect, shying away when sensing danger, opting to forego a dangerous kill in favour of an empty stomach.

The slugs on the other hand, as an insectoid variety, have a much, much stronger urge to feed, and influencing one is much more difficult. I managed after some attempts, but it proved rather taxing as I was forced to channel more of my will and focus into the aura to ensure the creature stayed away.

The Byysk, a local lizard-like race of bipeds was a good test against the more intellectual foe. It was here I discovered the importance of focusing on primary targets in combat when the aura is used. Most of them were cowed and easy to defeat as they panicked, but one warrior stood out as some manner of champion or tribal leader, and my aura has less an effect on that one. It managed to rally its throng, and I found my aura’s influence weaken on the others as well. It is not a foolproof method, it seems.

Mon Cala

On the fauna side of Mon Cala, I learned very little new. Nothing, in fact. But it was satisfying to notice my training and examination has paid off, and they fled or stayed away from me.

When I sought out the terrorists in the region, I was also pleased to note how much use the aura has against opponents with ranged weaponry. I myself am required to get rather close before I can either utilize my powers or my blade, giving my opponents time to aim and fire. But if I am in possession of a skill such as this, the playing field changes, as they are no longer able to aim with precision and focus their shots. However, long range is still an issue.