Saek'thira'tharloo - Travelling Within

1 - Exile

The ship was dark and silent. Save for the low humming of the ever-diligent life-support systems, nothing else stirred. The only light shone from the fusion lamp of her workbench. It had been powered down to just the bare minimum. No light reached Kthira’s face or body, only her blue hands splayed over the workbench’s surface. Just down the hall and around the corner to the ship’s bunks, two others were sleeping, and she didn’t want to disturb them.

Those blue hands slid off the table, and a quiet click was heard in the dark.

They returned with a long, cylindrical metal shape. A hilt of a double-bladed lightsaber. Her lightsaber. Lost - it seemed - two lifetimes ago, now finally back in her hands. She peered at it, and a quiet sigh left her lips. She grit her teeth and twisted her hands around the handgrips, as if it was a vision from the Force, about to disappear.

“So long…” came her whisper, followed by the gentle tap of metal on metal as she reverently laid her saber on the metal work surface. Its details shone in the light - a core of burnished-black Durasteel inside a frame of crimson Dolovite alloy. Both frame and body had history etched on it in scorch marks and blade cuts.

It was in her hands. It was hers. It had finally returned to her. Yet… it did not feel right. Did not feel complete.

“It’s finally over,” came, then, a voice from the darkness behind her, echoing in a serene tone down the ship’s hall.

“It is,” Kthira whispered back.

“And how do you feel, Kthira?”

“Not as I expected.”

“And what did you expect?”

“I expected to feel good. To feel like I won. To feel like I defeated him.”

“And instead?”

“I feel… sad. Sad and so… so tired. And yet…” she stammered for a moment, and a sigh echoed through. “I feel calm. Like I can breathe a little more. Like something inside me is no longer burning.”

“It’s called ‘peace’, Kthira. Or something close to it,” echoed the voice in marked amusement.

“Hmh. So it is.”

“You know what you must do now, don’t you?”

“There are so many things. But I know where to begin,” she said as her hands came over the workbench and her saber hilt once again.

“Then begin. I’ll be here.”

In a smooth motion, she fetched her old tools - the ones she’d always kept - from the compartments atop the bench. It was part of the process. Part of the beginning of the meditative trance required to properly work with a lightsaber.

Each motion came with a thought. Each thought came with an intention. Even as she set her tools - one by one - along the bench, she began to feel it. The echoes of higher perception. The walls of the ship around her losing their tangibility and their meaning. Time flowing slowly around her, ebbing and flowing like the tide. The Force swirled around her like a quiet breeze.

The process could not be rushed. No steps could be skipped. No shortcuts taken. Perfection was mandatory.

She closed her eyes and let Time go with a final, conscious exertion of Will, and when she opened her eyes again, all was gone, save for her saber, her hands, her tools, and that voice from behind her.

Then came pull. The downward pull of her awareness even as she maintained her attention on her work and the present moment.

She let it take her, slowly and gently, down into memory.

And then the first memory-sensation came: cold. Chill, arctic winds brushing icy nails over her skin. The morning was clear-skied and warm for the ice planet. It was a beautiful day. In that, it was a stark contrast to her memory of it.

Two by two, hands of white. They grabbed her by each arm. Strong. Twisting. Inexorable. Kick and fight and snarl and cry as she might, nothing she did helped push away the docking ramp of the drone-ship looming ever closer. It was a small, automated vessel, yet its circular airlock grew ever closer like the mouth of some yawning beast. Some massive worm-beast waiting to swallow her whole.

And it was going to.

“No! Let me go! Please! I… I just want to go home! Please… why?!”

But no-one would answer her. Not the soldiers in arctic-white armor carrying her. Not the noble in sleek, black uniform if the Ascendancy waiting beside the drone-ship. Not even her mother and father just behind him. They couldn’t bear to look at her as tears flooded their cheeks.

“This is all I can and will do for you, and it has been expensive enough already,” She heard the noble tell her parents as she wailed past, in merciless and perfect Cheunh. “For our history together. And for repayment of my debt to you. You did not wish to see her executed for the abomination she manifested. I hope for your sake that exile is, indeed, a greater mercy.”

The noble did not even bother to look at her as the soldiers’ boots and her own small feet clambered up the ramp.

Her hands grasping at the airlock’s frame had not the strength to push back against the two men hauling her inside. They could not fit into it with her, and she was shoved in without regard.

In a sick twist of mercy, the interior was ample for her, where it would have been barely enough to hold an adult, the bare life support systems, the cot which barely passed for a bed and the supplies piled inside.

She turned to the still-open airlock and found that her family had not the strength to turn and look at her. The noble and the soldiers hardly cared.

Pain overtook her. Pain. Fear. Desperation. Rage. All flared in unquenchable fire inside her as the airlock alarms began to blare and the door slid shut.

“No! No!” She screamed and held out her hands. The Force surged around her.

The spiraled airlock hatch halted halfway shut. Metal groaned. Even the high-power gears and pneumatics screamed and whined as they struggled against the sudden force prying them open.

Then did they all turn to see her.

Her mother’s and father’s eyes flared in shock. The noble froze in a split moment, before growling in disdain.

“Subdue her!”

One of the solders lifted his rifle and fired a concussive stun-blast that had the Chiss child wheeling back against the far wall at the back of the ship.

Blackness took her and quieted her senses, and her rage.

And when they returned, she saw the airlock door shut, and felt the downward pull of G forces as the vessel of her exile began its ascent.

Even as the automated thrusters lifted the small, wedge-shaped craft into the skies above Csilla her screams and the pounding of her hands against the hull would reach down to the ears of her family and haunt them for the rest of their days.

As the memory faded back into reality, she slowly pried the emitters - metallic-crimson and sleek - from each end of the hilt.

2 Likes

2 - Servitude and Freedom

The lightsaber’s emitters hovered soundlessly over the table and the hilt they’d been detatched from. She peered at them, quietly watching the light from the fusion lamp dance over the burnished-black metal and glitter over the crimson accents.

Even as she used the Force to spin them into a slow, ethereal dance in mid-air, still deep in meditative trance, she felt it: a disconnect. Something about those parts of her saber no longer fit her. Not as they had once done. As much as her saber was still a part of her that she’d lost for so long. As much as finally having it back in her grasp carried a meaning far beyond the physical. Something about it was off.

It would not be fixed in a single day. It would not be remade by one single, simple effort. But she had an idea of where to start.

Once again, she felt the threads of the material reality around her coming ever-so-subtly undone, as she re-entered more deeply into the trance. The floating emitters settled into a spiralling pattern in the air, hovering in a wide circle at a glacial pace. Air grew lighter, and the ever-present humming of the ship’s life support left her ears as she turned her full-red eyes down to her work. Kthira peered at the cylindrical weapon that had eluded her for so long. Slowly, as if floating underwater, she reached her Chiss-blue hands for two tools she would need to carefully pry the sleek crimson frame surrounding the main body of the saber hilt.

It would have to come off piece-by-piece, and as she set to work, she once again felt the pull of her awareness downward into herself.

Its face was a disgusting thing. Two oversized black orbs for eyes, with a smaller pair underneath. Full-black and glinting in the light like an insect’s eyes. Leathery, wrinkled skin with tufts of dry hair on its mostly-bald head. Instead of a mouth and a chin, it had two bulging, wrinkled sacks, with a jagged black scar burnt across it which almost formed a smile that matched the coldness in the alien’s gaze down at her.

The aqualish spoke in a guttural, slimy language she couldn’t understand. She did not need to. It was as disgusting to her ears as the alien himself, and it only drove the gravity of her situation only deeper.

He exchanged words with another alien of yet another species she’d never seen and terrified her with its aspect. A tall, red-skinned humanoid with a grinning mouth of sharp teeth and two dark horns sprouting from his forehead.

In behavior, he clearly was the head guard of the facility she was being dragged to. To her eyes, it seemed monolothic as she followed along the parade of other beings, other sentients being guided to it. Just like her, they all had hands and feet shackled. Faces of species she’d never seen. Adults and younglings like her. Some were strong and healthy. Others seemed about to collapse. All together, they played a rhythmic symphony of chains and manacles, and the tall double-doors of the slave-barracks reminded Kthira of yet another monster, much like the airlock of her exile-ship months before.

Words she couldn’t understand were exchanged between guards as she - and all the others - were guided past pens and metal cages. Handfuls of slaves were taken from the procession and sent into them at intervals.

Her turn eventually came.

That same aqualish and a green sentient with beady black eyes and a thin, round snout for a mouth grabbed her by the arms. Once again, two by two, hands of green and wrinkled dark-grey. Like before, they dragged her - this time alongside other slaves - by twisting, hard grips on both of her arms.

Like before, she saw the door yawning before her. The doors of the pen, with a half-dozen other sentients inside.

Like before, rage sparked inside her.

As they reached the threshhold into the pens, a sudden cry left Kthira’s lips. It wasn’t a sound a sentient could make. Let alone a child. It was more of an animal growl than a person’s cry. A snarling, visceral hiss mixed with some predator-feline’s roar.

The Force exploed around her as she suddenly found strength beyond her years and whirled free of the thugs’ grasp. That surge of the Force took the rodian thug’s feet out from under him as she threw herself bodily at his legs. She then turned towards the scarred aqualish as he gripped her arms again. She sunk her teeth so into his forearm with such strength that she drew blood and forced a scream from him as he pulled back.

The other slaves stepped back, wide-eyed and gasping as they gave her a wide berth. Nearby thugs went into a frenzy of motion towards her, and as the anger drew away and her thoughts came back, she turned just in time to see another gun levelled at her. Again, her senses fell into blackness as another stun-blast hit her.

She was lying in the pen when she came to.

Around Kthira, the other slaves had huddled in corners away from her, fearful.

Save for one.

“Do wonky azalus chik,” said the only slave sitting next to her, with a broad, warm grin. He was taller, healthier and stronger than the other slaves. Like the others, too, he was of a species she’d had little, if any, contact with. Green-skinned and hairless, with two long head-tails and a pair of blue eyes that twinkled down to her with a sort of cheer that was entirely out of place with their situation.

“… w-wha… what did you say?” she asked in stammering Cheunh he couldn’t possibly hope to understand.

It brought a frown to his face, and a look of worry. The twi’lek cast a look around at the others and the guard outside, before leaning into her quietly and jabbing a thumb towards his own chest.

“Pren’al,” he said, and looked to her. Repeated the gesture, “Pren’al.”

Then he gestured a hand out to her in question, smiling.

“Saek’thira’tharloo”, she answer, and her name had him as puzzled as before.

He let out a sigh, and then an exasperated laugh as he shook his head.

Silence took hold for a moment as she looked around the pen, then up at him, eyes quaking in fear. She said nothing - she’d very quickly learned that he, and likely none of the others, understood her.

Again, she met that warm smile, and then he dug into the pockets of his ragged tunic for something. He fished it and held out a closed fist to her. Pren’al waited for her to pay attention, before slowly opening his hand. On his palm set a small, sculpted stone figurine. It was some four-legged alien creature, with the stone chiselled to resemble fur along its body. It had gruesome claws, a long, sinuous tail with spines that ran from its tip to the top of the creature’s back. Its head was an oversized, grinning maw of teeth, snarling in menace, with several sets of eyes.

Pren’al pointed to it, and then to Kthira, and the groans he did to mimic the creature’s roar - her roar - made the Chiss child giggle. A soft, carefree giggle that for the slightest moment took her away from that dreadful place.

Smiling softly, she rose a hand… and the stone figurine suddenly flew from Pren’al’s palm and into her grasp.

Even he then gasped and stared at her with wide, shocked eyes.

“J… Jeedai?”

But the word meant nothing to her, as she stared up at him blankly.

Pren’al stirred from beside her. With another gaze around, he gently took her by the arm and guided her to a quieter corner of pen, away from the eyes of the patrolling guards. There, he made a small spot for her to lie on, and urged her to stay.

Exhaustion took Kthira the moment she did so, and she but quietly stared at the twi’lek’s back as he sat before her, hiding her, protecting her as she fell into a sleep that felt like it could last forever.

All the memories then rushed along. Years passed like rain falling into a deep valley. Faces - almost all unfriendly, brutal, uncaring - melded into each other. Years of work and toil and servitude. Until at last came the end of it.

The dry dust-sands of Tatooine were never a source of comfort. They were coarse and rough and irritating and got everywhere. It was worse, still, when you were carrying four heavy loads of spice on your back through tiny alleways filled with all kinds of scum and villainy.

It had been five years since the slavers had found her exile’s drone-ship, scrapped it for parts and brought her in chains to Nal Hutta. She had since grown, taller, faster, stronger and, most of all, more willful.

Kthira was exhausted. The metal bar across her shoulders – with loads of spice tied on both ends – was becoming unmanageable. Her sandals were held together by strings and barely protected her feet from the scorching sands. It was her fifth load of the day, from the warehouse to one of the Hutt’s cantinas on Mos Eisley. With no security, she had to dodge certain alleyways, quickly recognize thugs belonging to rival gangs. After years, she had become proficient, yet it never got any easier. Each step was always filled with apprehension that it would be her last, fear that it would lead her into an ambush or simply into a desperate spice addict. Pren’al had taught her to fight, but she was still too young to face off against a whole gang.

As she finally rounded a corner of an alley and saw the Cantina, she breathed in relief. Her last spice-load of the day, then she could at least retreat to the illusory safety of the Pens and… try to close her eyes for a few hours more.

Her momentary relief was her mistake. Two hands sprung from a nook in the alleyway. The spice bags fell to the sands and burst open. One hand covered her scream as she was pulled into the nook.

To her salvation, it was Pren’al. He looked frightened and distraught, eyes dilated with adrenaline.
“Little nexu.” He hissed, breathing.

“P-Pren’al? Y-you nearly killed me! Th-the spice! It’s ruined. They’ll beat m-…”

“Listen to me! I need to leave. Now.” His words clambered over each other. He had been on-duty, judging by the slave-bodyguard armor he wore and the vibroblade on his hip.

His slave-collar was gone from his neck.

“What?! What’re you talking about?! Where’s your -…”

“I made a mistake! Little nexu, I need to leave, or I’m dead. I’m taking you with me.”

H-how?!” She asked, before feeling an electric sting on her neck. Pren’al’s hand retreated, and her slave-collar fell to the sand.

Her eyes widened in shock and silence. How long had it been since she touched her own neck and felt nothing but skin? She would not get a moment to appreciate the indescribable feeling.

“I made a friend these last few days. She`s waiting at the starport. We need to go. Now.”

The mad dash in the opposite direction of the Cantina was a blur. The alleyways they ran through were irrelevant. The scavenger-merchant tents they toppled over did not matter. All that did matter was reaching Mos Eisley’s startport.

The duo barreled through the crowd of spacefarers, scavengers, thugs, jawas and moisture farmers that streamed through the main thoroughfare leading to the wide gates of the Starport.

They dashed through loading areas, dodging lumbering cargo-bots. Ran windingly along the corridors to the different docking bays, breathing in thick smog and stale sand.

“Bay 2A, little nexu. Help me find it!”

“There. I see it!”

“Good. I’ll go first – oh. No… no no no.” Pren’al’s eyes widened when he saw three of the Hutt’s men with blaster rifles waiting at the door to the docking bay.

Panic flooded his voice. “No… no no. How did they know?! Turn around. We’ll-“ His words died with the crack of a rifle’s stock against the back of his skull.

Kthira’s scream echoed so loudly across the hall that all eyes turned to see Pren’al falling bodily to the floor. He lay there, motionless for a moment, until bulky green body stirred and he raised his head toward her.

“K-Kthira, r-run…” Pren’al groaned, reaching out.

Two shadows fell over the Chiss girl as she knelt next to Pren’al and sobbed:a nikto… and the aqualish with the black scar on his ‘mouth’.

One of them pushed the blue-skinned girl away as she tried to hold onto Prenals hand for dear life, but her strength had been sapped away by fear. She was kicked aside, crying. Pren’al’s ring – the only luxury he was ever allowed as a slave – held tightly in her palms.

“You knew what happens if you disrespect the Hutt’s guests, slave.” was all that was said.

The casualness in the aqualish`s disgusting, guttural tone, the nonchalance. Spoken like one who had executed slaves a dozen times before. In a moment, it was over. He pointed his blaster rifle at Pren’al’s chest, and pulled the trigger.

The blaster bolt shattered Kthira’s world in the same blow it claimed Pren’al’s life. Her momentary, desperate hopes for freedom now faded away like the blaster-smoke rising from the charred wound in Pren’al’s chest.

Her screams, her pain, drew every eye on the star port, even those who knew to turn a blind eye to Hutt business.

“Shut her up!” The aqualish screamed in his disgustingly guttural language.

The nikto turned, raised the butt of his blaster rifle to strike at the Chiss girl sobbing at his feet. “Wait. This… this little rat is one of ours. I recognize her. Where’s her collar?”

“Who cares? She’s not worth another one. Get rid of her and we -… guh!”

There was a sound. An electric hissing. Like a controlled burst of superheated air. It came a split moment before the aqualish screamed his last – a blade of vibrating, blue energy had emerged from his chest.

The starport’s hall burst into motion as bystanders panicked and rushed to hide behind every cargo crate and in corner they could find.

Another flurry of blinding motion – faster than any eye could ever follow – and that blue energy-blade swooped aside. That vibrating sound cut through the air, and the nikto’s blaster rifle was cut in twain before the aqualish’s body even reached the ground.

A white-cloaked figure stepped betwen Kthira and the thug. A silken feminine voice –with an edge both serene and intimidating – spoke as the lightsaber hissed shut. “You will not touch the youngling. Leave.”

Every thug and lowlife in the Port turned and ran as if a Rancor was at their heels.

The figured turned, knelt. Kthira looked up and saw a graceful and very human face. She seemed hardly real. Kthira was immediately struck by an agelessness and a sense of power and calm that the figure had. And then the most surprising feature: a red blindfold veiling her eyes. She had never beheld such serenity and such sympathy in her life.

“You’re safe now, young one. Come. We will bury your friend with the dignity he deserves and leave this place.”

Once again, the memories melded into her meditative trance faded like a whisper, and her awareness fully returned to where she was.

Still as if underwater, her hands - holding those two long and thin toolpicks she’d used to remove the lightsaber’s frame - pulled away from her work. As she set them farther aside from the others, no longer needing them, she turned, and sat still as she used the Force to pull the red-alloy frame into the air and then gently separate it into its component pieces. They would join the emitters in that slow, circular dance over the remaining body of the hilt.

With the frame gone, she turned to look at her lightsaber again. A portion of its inner core had been revealed, and there she found an old memento she had long-since embedded into its construction: Pren’al’s ring.

And for the first time, she did not feel sorrow or pain at the sight. She felt the opposite: that missing connection whose absence she’d felt when peering at her saber’s emitters, it had returned. She simply smiled, and whispered with her gaze set onto that old keepsake: “Thank you.”

3 Likes

3 - And for a small time, peace

Kthira peered in total silence at that ring that had been secluded in her lightsaber’s construction with such dear care. Those last memories still echoed inside her - and she found more of that quiet contentment spreading through her core. She allowed herself to dwell on it, for it was a welcome feeling. No more did she dwell on the pain that the sight of that ring brought. She had spent so long away from it, from her, from her memories, that their return, now brought no anguish, but were simply welcomed like an old, dearest friend.

And what else were they, really?

With the subtlest care, she reached her hands back into the light of the workbench and held them over her partially-deconstructed saber. There was no physical way to remove that ring from the partially-exposed core of the hilt’s construction. It took the utmost concentration through the Force to move it out of its cylindrical housing, through the remaining frame of her saber saber and all its inner components, in such a way as to not break or bend it.

After a time, there it was: floating in a gentle circle along with the other parts of her weapon.

As her eyes returned to her hilt, she peered to the layer under the core of the main body, under the shell of burnished-black durasteel. There, just underneath, was another layer of Durasteel, but different, silver-colored, and a different alloy. It resembled a more traditional saber’s construction.

The sight of that lower layer alone began stirring the inward pull again. Senses and sight melded with memories, as she watched her own hands reach with new tools - sharper and slightly larger than the previous ones - to remove the first layer of burnished-black Durasteel around the hilt, section by section.

Kthira could scarcely remember the feeling of being in a ship entering hyperspace. The slow, inexorable stretching of her senses, of space around her, of her simple, sensory perceptions of herself, suddenly followed by the thrum that reverberated but once across the hull. The brief charge of an energy similar in feeling to static electricity that followed it, and then faded just the same.

She had to fight, and bury deep, the horrible cold that crept up her body then. It was impossible not to remember the only last time she’d felt the entry into hyperspace. When she was alone, frightened and abandoned, in that exile-ship. When she was being removed from her life, her happiness, the life she’d known until then, into some horrible unknown.

Yet, here she was, once more. Again, another hyperspace jump. Again, another sudden, monumental change in her fate. This time, she was not alone, and this time, she thought of the woman in the red blindfold - the same one piloting the ship in the deck above her - and felt only hope, not fear.

The Miraluka’s voice echoed serenely over the intercom. “We’re inside hyperspace, little one. We’re free and clear, and far, far away from that horrible place. When you feel ready, feel free to come on upstairs. We have much to talk about.”

Kthira did not hesitate to release her passenger seat’s safety harness. She barely waited for its pneumatics to swing it above her head, and nearly smacked her forehead against it in such rush as she left her seat.

The Miraluka laughed quietly when she - almost immediately after her message over the comms - heard the young Chiss’ feet stampeding up the ladder and then through the corridor to her cockpit. She slowly turned and stood from her pilot’s chair just as the blue-skinned teenager rounded the corner into view.

“Easy, sweetheart. Be still, we’re - gah!” And even her gracefulness broke into a gush of air pushed out of her lungs, as Kthira did not stop running toward her until she had through herself bodily against the Miraluka, weeping as she wrapped her arms around her.

“Breathe, young one. Breathe. It’s over, now. It’s all over,” she quietly cooed, with arms behind the Chiss girl and one hand gently stroking her jet-black hair.

But Kthira did not breathe. Not calmly. Not for a long while. Countless moments passed as she all but crumbled against her savior. She remained there, craddled in her white-robed arms, with Pren’al’s wring still dearly clutched in her palms, until she scarcely had any more tears to give.

“I feel your pain, little one. I feel all of it. You’ve been through far too much for one so young. Seen too much of the worst the Galaxy has to offer,” said the woman, with arms gently squeezing around Kthira’s tensing, trembling form. “But it’s over now. In time, perhaps a long time, you’ll learn to let it all go, like a leaf on the wind.”

The Jedi’s influence in the Force, too, would not be denied. Certainly not by another Force-Sensitive, less so one so untrained and raw. Kthira slowly felt it, the warmth, the Light, the gentle brushes of contentment quietly emanating from the woman’s embrace.

Soon enough, she could breathe, steadily, as she pulled away and looked up at those blindfolded eyes.

“Who… who are you?”

“Seeana. I’m a Knight of the Jedi Order,” she answered, slowly lowering herself until she was kneeling in front of Kthira, and sitting on her haunches.

“Jeedai…” Kthira echoed, and her eyes slowly widened. “Jedi,” she then again said, correctly. “Pren’al. You’re the ones Pren’al would tell me about,” and her eyes only grow, as if she beheld a legend. In truth, she was.

“Your friend was wiser than he seemed. He was… unlike you. He did not have the connection to the Force that you do,” she explaiend, peering at the Chiss as she laid her palms on her own thighs. “Despite that, he still felt pulled toward me in the Mos Eisley Cantina one day.
He immediately told me about you, and then-”

“You’re heroes, aren’t you?” Kthira interjected, unable to help herself, and drew a happy, echoing laugh from the Miraluka, so sudden it even broke her natural, serene poise.

“Aha! No, little one. We’re not. We do not strive to be, nor should we seek to be, ‘heroes’.” She said, and the blanket of confusion on Kthira’s face was evident.

“I don’t understand.”

“You don’t have to, not now. Just tell me your name, to begin with, please,” Seeana said, quietly.

“Kthira,” she softly said.

“Your full name, dear,” said the Miraluka with amusement again - she didn’t need to go far to sense that there was more.

“Saek’thira’tharloo,” it came out fluently, but with a note of sadness… as if it hadn’t been spoken in a long, long time.

“Aha. That is a mouthful,” Seeana broke into a smile.“Do you understand why your friend sought me out, Kthira?”

“No. N-not really. I… he used to tell me tales. Things he knew. Pren knew - he… he h-had seen the… I… weird things I do. The bad things. H-he always said I h-had to find a way, some day. To escape, to find the ‘Jeedai’.”

A darker shade had crossed Seeana’s face at the girl’s words. “Bad things? What bad things?”

She couldn’t quite explain it. Not fully. Kthira cast her gaze around, and found a little piece of metal lying on the ship’s dashboard, some piece of scrap. Gritting her teeth, she held out a hand to it, and curled her fingers… almost a claw. The piece of scrap launched into her palm, not slowly, hovering, but cutting through the air like a knife.

The forcefulness of it wasn’t lost on Seeana, but it was not the time to address it, or comment on it.

“Why would such a simple act be a bad thing, Kthira?” she asked, but she already knew the answer, heard it in the Chiss child’s heart.

“… they took me away because of it. They… they sent me away. Fr-from… from home. And then-” she choked, grinding her teeth so tightly her jaw hurt.

Once again, she found herself cradled in the Jedi’s arms, and time had passed without her so much as noticing it.

“Quiet now, young one. Everything has changed. All of that anguish is behind you now. You’ll need time, of course, to let it go. But now, time is what you’ll have in abundance. Time, quiet… and guidance,” she said, and gently urged Kthira away from her as she once again stood. “These are your first steps into a larger world.”

Understanding, even wonder, creeped into Kthira and pushed away once again the anguish of her memories, and she looked up at the Miraluka, feeling that warmth again, that tentaive flicker of hope. She couldn’t but… grin, softly. “That sounds a little corny,” she said, as if she couldn’t resist it - she spoke in the same tone she’d so often spoke when trading playful barbs with Pren’al.

“Aha. Regardless, youngling. It is true. Come, we’re starting… now.”

“Starting what?”

“Your training. At least until we get to the Enclave and the Masters can properly take a look at you.”

Where is that? Where are we going?” She asked, as the woman took her hand and guided her down the corridor into her ship’s depths.

“To Dantooine.”

Master Odossk sat quietly at the center of the meditation chamber. Sharp Trandoshan eyes focused on the young Chiss Initiate – dressed in a plain grey-white robes with thin slits of morning light from the window crisscrossing her form – with a serene intensity only a Jedi Master could muster. He was looking beyond her, into her.

With a long inhale the trandoshan Jedi Master closed his eyes. This girl, this Initiate Kthira, was a troubling yet intriguing one. There was turmoil in her – she was too old, she had been through too much. Yet, the Order wasn’t in a position it could turn her away, or most other ‘too old’ initiates. Still, he sensed so much potential in her. A peculiar strength in the Force, as well as a brightness of Will just underneath the turmoil that surrounded her core.

Opening his eyes, he pierced her with another reptilian stare.

“Recite our Code for me, Initiate.”

Without a thought, she began.

“There is no Emotion, there is Peace.
There is no Ignorance, there is Knowledge.
There is no Passion, there is Serenity.
There is no Chaos, there is Harmony.
There is no Death, there is the Force.”

Every word had been memorized and committed. It was simple, and short, and she recited it without a beat missed.

“You’re a good holorecorder,” said Odossk, with a smart smirk on scaly lips.

Kthira’s brows twitched in confusion. “Master?”

“You recite the Code from heart as easily as any Padawan. But what is your understanding of the Code, Initiate?”

“I… well…”

“Start with the first one. Why is there no Emotion, only Peace?”

“I…” The Chiss youngling’s brows furrowed. “… because a Jedi strives for it? Because a Jedi trains, becomes strong and powerful, and can then fight to preserve peace?”

Odossk firmed his lips, sighed inwardly. “Let’s have an assignment for this week. I want you to write a study on each line of the Code, your understanding of it. We shall meditate on it throughout the week, test your interpretation of it, pick it apart. At the end, I’ll ask for a new written study.”

And he chuckled as he felt the Initiate’s groan through the Force itself.

“I know. But true understanding and enlightenment, Initiate, will only come to you if you test it.”

That idea brought Kthira’s eyes up to him, and those full-red orbs first widened, before she nodded slowly. “I… understand, Master Odossk.”

“Now…” He continued. “… there is no ignorance, there is knowledge.”

“That’s easy, isn’t it?” She said, with more of an eager grin. “Because knowledge is strength. A Jedi studies the Force, studies lightsaber combat, studies history and the Galaxy itself, so she can be her best, strongest example to others.”

Odossk’s brows quirked again – pride and too much eagerness, he could feel the currents inside the Initiate pulling her in different directions, he would have to work hard on this one.

This time, there was no full return from the depths of memory. Not yet. Her awareness only fully returned from to the present for the briefest moment. With a gentle flick of her tools, she finished removing part of her saber’s main housing. On one of its two double-bladed ends, half of that burnished-black housing floated from the body to join circling dance above the workbench.

She then turned inwards again.

1 Like

4 - Diligence, growth, loneliness I

In the scant light that the fusion lamp cast upon the workbench, Kthira’s hands worked on her lightsaber. They moved precisely, minutely. Fingers twitched and worked in meticulous, precise movements. Light sparks danced at the tips of her tools, slowly loosening that first, black-steel layer of her lightsaber’s core.

Her eyes, however, remained shut; and her gaze, turned inwards.

The sunrise over the farm-plains of Dantooine was always slow and gentle. Sunlight showered over fields glittering with dew; a golden carpet slowly unfurled with the steady dawn. Life stirred awake - distant sounds of kath hounds calling each other, flittering shadows of briths flying overhead.

As always, as with every morning, Kthira was awake, sat upon the gardens circling the Dantooine enclave. She always rose before the sun was up, alone. Always alone. None of her fellow Initiates rose when she did. It wasn’t a thing she did consciously, though part of her did enjoy the solitude.

She waked in the dead of morning when the only ones awake were the Temple Guards and some senior Masters busy with their duties. The pre-dawn chill did not bother her, either - it was no stranger to Chiss biology.

As she sat atop a small hill in the gardens, surrounded a small circle of flower bushes, she made no sound. Yet, in truth, she was but quiet inside. Her eyes - full-red with no white in them - stared intently at a spot in the grass ahead of her.

There, a small pile of stones was being balanced through utter concentration in the Force. Ten small pebbles were being upright one atop the other. Together, they formed a little tower that only lightly quivered and shaked as Kthira’s concentration endured.

She narrowed her eyes further, and the quivering stops.

The flat-ish, smooth pebbles were balanced on the ground and against each other… on their edges.

It was a meditation practice one of the Masters had shown her and the other Initiates the previous week. However, he had intended for them to practice moderately, when guided to.

Kthira had driven herself to practicing it daily.

She did not know exactly how much time had passed since her self-imposed exercise began. Like every morning, she paid no attention to it. All she knew was it had been long enough for the sun to rise, and for her to know that - in the edges of her senses - the Enclave was stirring more awake.

“Initiate, what are you doing?” A voice cut from a few paces behind her.

It broke her concentration, and she let a small gasp as the tower of pebbles crumbled upon itself.

“Initiate?” Again, the soft-spoken voice asked.

Kthira stirred, standing and immediately whirling around. “I… I’m sorry, Master.”

“You should be at rest, Initiate. Why are you here?” She did not know his name, but the dark-skinned Master’s features seemed familiar. She’d seen him before.

“I am… training, Master.”

“Again, why? Diligence is commendable, but you are to let your training follow our guidance. Now, it dictates that you should be with the other Initiates, resting. The day has not even started.”

“I…” she stammered without an answer.

A thoughtful frown crossed the Master’s features, and he folded his hands behind her, looking upon her fully. Like some others, he had not seen a Chiss before, but then, she had never seen him before either, since coming to the Enclave long ago… “You. I’ve seen you with the others.”

“Yes. I’m… Ki -… Saek’thira’tharloo, Master.” She answered, with a small bow.

“That’s quite a mouthful!”

“I… y-yes, Master.”

“Well, Initiate. Here’s your instruction for the moment: return to your dormitories, with the other Initiates, and rest. You know there will be training enough for you today, as with every day.”

Kthira firmed her lips, but then merely bowed before him. “Yes, Master.”

“Shii-Cho. The Way of the Sarlacc. The Determination Form,” echoed out the Z’ressa’s words as she paced in a long, slow circle around the gathered Initiates. The twi’lek instructor’s voice bounced off the Enclave’s stone walls, and it reverberated like the edge of the sharpest vibroblade. Kthira watched her with a curiosity she couldn’t quite explain to herself - the Jedi Master had a presence to her, a power which fascinated her.

“The First of all Forms of Lightsaber combat. The first one you’ll learn. Your first stepping-stone into this Path.” Her words and her boots echoed from wall to wall in the open-air chamber of stone and duracrete.

“If - months from now - you come into my chambers still believing you’re learned nothing but the basics of form of combat. Then that will be both your failure, and mine.” The statement brought some looks of confusion among the gathered Initiates, as she came to the end of her circling path around them.

“You will learn patience, method, reslience, perseverance, and… most of all, you will learn that - as with all the other lessons and instructors - that no form is above Form Zero, that your blades - one day your sabers - will remain in their sheaths until there is no further recourse.”

She came to a halt and turned - hands folded behind her - beside a wooden weapons rack. It held a row of swords. Not lightsabers. Simple durasteel swords - elegant and slightly curved with single-edged blades - neatly arranged in black sheaths.

“Master Z’ressa, I thought we were going to train with lightsabers or foils?” Asked, shakily, an initiate kneeling beside Kthira, a pale, redheaded Corellian female. She was one of Kthira’s bunkmates.

“Did you, Initiate Kaylin? And why is that?”

“Because that’s what Jedi use, isn’t it?”

“When they are ready, Initiate. You are not, not yet.”

“I don’t understand.”

“Wielding a lightsaber is a subtle skill as much as it is a martial art. The lightsaber is not, however, merely a weapon. It is a symbol. It is a tool for diplomacy as much as war. It is a deadly instrument to be wielded only when your mind is silent and your convictions clear.”

“It is a weapon that can cut through almost anything, while weighing next to nothing. It is a tool that holds a core of power inside as delicate as it is deadly. It is a beacon for all who see and recognize it, who will recognize who you are and what you represent.”

“Do you really believe you’re ready to even hold a simple training foil, Initiate?”

Kaylin stared without answer - it was rhetorical, mostly.

“On more practical terms, you will also practice Shii-Cho using these,” she gestured to the sheathed swords on their rack. “To train your body, your reflexes and your technique. Your ability to explode into fast, minutely precise movements. Your endurance for maintaining flawless form for as long as I say. Most of all, your control - over the blade, over your bodies, over the forces at play when you strike and parry.”

“This,” she said amid the sharp, ringing sound of one of the blades leaving its sheath. “Will test you, until it deems you ready.”

“How can you hope to fight with the grace and control required to wield a blade that weighs nothing and cuts through everything, without having ever so much as held a simpler one such as this?” Z’ressa said, turning her eyes fully down to Kaylin.

“Y-y… y-yes, Master Z’ressa.”

“Don’t shrink, Initiate Kaylin. Raise your head, straighten your back. This wasn’t a chiding.”

Kaylin opened her mouth to answer, but returned a nod instead and felt her back straighten once again.

“Today, each of you will be given a blade from me. They are all the exact same, not one is better or different than the other, much as all of you are in my eyes. You will not leave my halls without it, but it will remain yours as you train here.”

Turning, Z’ressa slipped two sheathed swords from the rack, one for herself.

“We will begin now. One of you, step forth.”

Kthira was the first one to stand, springing eagerly upright while the others were only halfway up. She froze when Z’ressa’s eyes snapped to her, trapped - for a moment even scared - in her steely gaze.

Without a word, the Instructor walked to her, a sheathed sword in each hand, and held one out to her in a sharp motion. It rattled for a moment within its sheath, and just the sound of it left hairs on the back of Kthira’s neck standing on end.

It was heavy.

Kthira had trained each day since her arrival at the Enclave months ago, strengthening her mind and body with diligence almost beyond reason. Even still, the sheathed sword in her hand was heavy enough that she could feel the light strain on her forearms juts from holding it.

“I know, Initiate,” Z’ressa muttered, staring calmly at the Chiss. “It’s meant to be heavy. It will test and hone your body as much as I test and hone your skills.”

“I understand, Master Z’ressa.” And she did. As she looked down at steel and scabbard, her fingers closed around the hilt in a way that felt somehow… natural.

In a single step aside and sweeping motion, Z’ressa unsheathed the blade she’d taken for herself. The hiss of metal on scabbard drew all Initiates’ attentions to her.

“I will observe each of you closely today, in this,” she said, and fell into the most basic fighting stance: her sword held out straight and at an angle ahead of her, knees bent in a lowered center of gravity.

With eyes straight ahead, she sucked in a sharp breath through her nose as she rose her blade, and then exhaled as sharp hiss as she brought it down in a perfect cutting motion that ended precisely where it began.

“You do not need to know every detail of what my body does in the movement. Which muscles contract, where power is produced, how breathing is done. All of it will come, eventually. I will only observe each and every one of you - now - for your individual potential.”

With that, she stood upright and stepped aside.

“Begin, Initiate”

Kthira did so without a second thought. Once more, steel echoed as it was unsheathed, but only lightly. She moved in front of Z’ressa and, with a moment’s pause, dropped into the same stance. At least, her best attempt at imitating it - with blade held straight in front.

She looked up at the twi’lek, and received a nod from her.

One sharp inhale through her nose, and her sword came up. It flashed in the sunlight cast down into the open-air chamber, and came down in a smooth sweep.

“Again.”

Her second motion was sharper, she felt. Smoother.

“Again.”

Her third came somehow with less effort, despite the weight of the blade and how much she felt her arms’ muscles tense with reach strike.

“Again.”

In the fourth strike, the blade hissed as it cut through air.

“Again.”

And her blade suddenly struck steel with a deafening clang.

Mid-movement, Z’ressa had held out her own sword in front to intercept Kthira’s slash at the empty air. Kthira’s arms shook and nearly buckled entirely, as the force from the two blades clashing travelled down her steel’s length and quaked over her body.

All eyes - including hers - flared at the sight, all drawn by the unexpected move.

Z’ressa remained unmovning as a statue, blade pointed straight ahead of her like an extension of her arm. Kthira’s blow hadn’t so much as caused it to quake.

“Again.”

Kthira blinked in a moment’s hesitation, and then nodded. Her fingers squeezed her blade’s hilt tighter, and she brought it up. Another strike of steel-on-steel filled the room.

But Z’ressa’s sword was like a wall - unmoving, not an inch, against Kthira’s strikes.

“Again.”

One more strike, one more surge of impact down her arms. It travelled deeper, however. And Kthira’ felt something… echoing back to it inside her.

“Again.”

And it stirred.

“Again.”

And rose.

“Again.”

And slowly filled her core.

“Again!”

With that last swing, the echo swelled within Kthira. It felt… right, appropriate. A fire. A sudden surge of heat in her belly. It sparked from inside her, and she felt a power in her swing beyond what she knew she had in her arms.

Her swing came out not with a hiss of breath, but with a sharp, cutting scream as her foot stomped forward on the stone in perfect timing with her blade.

Once more the blades met, but the sound was deafening, and her eyes flashed as she saw Z’ressa’s sword move. Her swing had impacted with enough strength to push it back… two inches.

“Enough!”

Z’ressa’s voice cut and pulled Kthira’s gaze to her. The instructor did not look entirely pleased. A frown had deeped and creased her brown, and she was gazing upon the Chiss with a quiet intensity.

“I feel your eagerness, Initiate,” Z’ressa said as she lowered her blade, and Kthira, hers. “Your instincts roil loudly inside you. I heard what echoed in you as you sliced at the air. This is not what you are here to learn, and you will learn to temper this urge.”

Kthira’s eyes widened further still, and she looked up to the instructor. This certainly was a chiding, even if a tame one. Her voice came, subdued. “Yes… yes, Master Z’ressa.”

“I can see your potential for learning the techniques. Your body responds. Your stance falls into place without a thought, as if you already knew how. I feel discipline and diligence are no strangers to you. But your true lesson here will not be to learn how to wield the blade - it will be a lesson of temperance and control. I will not be satisfied until I feel that you’ve learned it. That you’ve quelled that fire inside you and shaped it into purpose. At the moment, I sense you have a very long way to go yet, Initiate.”

A lump formed in the Chiss Initiate’s throat, and she slowly swallowed it.

“Sheathe your blade and return to the others.”

“Yes, Master,” Kthira uttered with a shaky bow of her head, and shuffled to rejoin her fellow Initiates.

“Next. Initiate Kaylin. Stand.”

2 Likes

4 - Diligence, growth, loneliness II

Three quick, forward stomps.

Three lethal slashes downward with her sword.

Three times the steel flashed in the faint light of the training yard’s nightlamps.

Three times her voice rang out in sharp, barking cries - one with each slash.

“Hyah! Hyah! Hyah!”

Kthira paused at the end of the movement, staring at the empty air in front of her with poised, unmoving intensity. Her arms burned a subtle, low ache. Layers of sweat covered her body, gleaming against the glow of the nightlamps.

She had performed the move fifty times. There were fifty more to go before the training routine allowed her to rest. And it was only the first cycle of three. So far, Kthira had been the only Initiate to manage all three to completion - the other two trailing closest behind her were Kaylin and the weequay male Anakhu.

Her grip on the sword tightened. She gritted her teeth.

Three more.

“Hyah! Hyah! Hyah!”

She may have been first in her class. It did not matter. She still felt it - quiet and subdued yet absolutely present - that fire inside her. The instinct. The echo Master Z’ressa fully expected her to quell entirely. For the day, it had long since been a lost battle - she had been practicing for two hours, and had far since gone past the point to being able to silence out that urge. She was growing annoyed at it, vexed at it and herself that she couldn’t put out that quiet burning in her core that came each slash at the air. Of course, instead of helping, that vexation only fueled it further.

“Hyah! Hyah! Hyah!”

“Kthira?” A voice suddenly called out - Kaylin’s. She stood by the arched entry to Z’ressa’s training grounds. “What? Why are you here? Why’re you still practicing? Master Z’ressa’s first trial is still three weeks out.”

“And?”

“And today we’re all supposed to be resting and recovering?”

“I don’t need to.”

“What? How -”

“By not needing to. It’s not hard.”

She heard the derision in her own voice, and then the subtle quake from Kaylin’s lips. She instantly regretted her own words. A wince of guilt crossed her face, and she - still in fighting stance - looked to find Kaylin’s pained expression.

“I’m sorry.” And she was - her irritation, her derision, wasn’t truly aimed at Kaylin, it was at that echo inside her. It dulled a little, now.

“… why did you say it like that?”

“I don’t know.”

Kaylin stood in silence, staring at Kthira. Her lower lip quivered, and then she sighed. “Kthira… you should apologize to Vrex for earlier. I know you didn’t mean to do it, but… you could’ve been easier on him. It wasn’t necessary…”

“I know. I… know. You’re right, Kay.” And again, Kaylin was. “I’ll speak to him tomorrow.”

“Why not tonight? We’re heading to that farmstead close by. The family’s hosting a little celebration and they invited some of us. Sort of a ‘thank you’ for helping them with the kath hound trouble.”

“What? Why?”

“Why not? We really helped them out a lot, you know?”

“We didn’t do it for a reward, or gratitude.”

“Gratitude is given, Kthira. Not demanded! You know it would be wrong to spurn it.”

“Right. I didn’t figure they’d be this grateful.”

“Yeah! It’ll be really delicious, too. So, let’s go? We can go straight away! Don’t even need to shower or change your robes or anything. I… I don’t mind.”

That made Kthira pause, and she simply blinked, before slipping into a small grin. “Are you saying I’m dirty?”

“You’re covered in about three bucketfuls of sweat.”

She shrugged. “Hard not to. Kay, go on ahead with everyone. I’ll be by soon.”

Kaylin’s sillouette shrank against the light spilling through the door.

“Kthira… please. Come on. We’ve completed all our lessons, all our current trials. You’re not even supposed to be here. Master Z’ressa isn’t here. None of us is supposed to be training today. Come with us. With me?” Kaylin’s lips thinned, and she remained by the doorway with the light of the Enclave’s corridor behind her.

With a long breath out through her nose, Kthira lowered her sword straight in front of her, stretched upright and leaned her head back, eyes closed towards the sky.

“Please, Kay. Go on ahead. I’ll be over soon.”

“Kthira…” Kaylin’s voice grew thin, controlled. “Why… can’t you stop?”

But she did not budge. She only stared back at the redhead - her decision had been made.

“F-fine. We’ll… we’ll be there,” Kaylin murmured. Lowering her head, she turned and left without a further word.

A pang of guilt again quietly stabbed Kthira as Kaylin rounded out of view. Yet… that pain was immediately swept aside by that quiet burning. She felt it and shook her head. Her jaw tightened. Eyes forward again, she snapped back into the Shii-Cho stance with her blade held in front.

Three quick strikes, three steps froward.

An Intiate’s robes, while comfortable yet humble, did not afford much protection against Dantooine’s colder nights. Not when said Initiate’s body was still covered in layers of sweat from unending exercise. And Kthira had not bother to clean herself after her training was done, when she realized just how long had passed since Kaylin had walked away.

Her robes were stark, snow-white against her dark-blue skin, and billowed in the wind as she rushed down along a dirt path that led away from the Enclave. Moonlight dimly lit it, but tall, thin light-sticks were spaced out at intervals along the path, showing the way to the farmstead.

“Hrm,” she hissed out in breathless effort - her limbs were tired from the night’s solo Shii-Cho practice, but she had to run! If she wanted to make it in time, she had to endure.

A stream drew near, and she crossed a curving stone bridge over it. After, two small hillocks rose - she knew the farmstead was just around the bend.

Its lights were out.

Her heart sank when she came in close enough to see the Farmstead’s yard and found… no-one there. The only sillouettes that moved did so with the telltale twitch of droid’s limbs.

Kthira closed her eyes and stopped herself in her tracks - it was n ouse running. Her face contorte into a momentary cringe, and she shook her head at herself. Disappointment grew, at herself rather than anyone else. After a moment, it was replaced by a painful loneliness as she paced into the Farmstead’s yard, peering at the endless mess of leftover food, crumpled paper, discarded cups. It littered the grass as she passed by the scene of the joyful moment that she had missed entirely.

And her only companions, then, were the cleaning droids as they paced by her without so much as a look.

Suddenly, it was as if she could feel the chill of that night, and the entire situation seemed all too familiar. Once more, she’d ended up… missing it.

She quietly hugged herself - crossing her arms into her robe sleeves. Her body seemed to sag and shrink. Just to her right, she saw a small pile of leftover grilled meats and shredded napkins. Past it there was a circle of chairs, six or maybe eight, just around the total number of other Initiates in her group. Deep inside, she felt a sharp sting at the sight, and her lower lip quivered.

A quiet, pained whine left her… and yet again she felt that quiet, burning echo inside. How? Why? She had managed it, that night. She had finally managed - after so much training - to come into a state where she’d quieted it. And yet, there it was again, creeping in like an unwelcome guest.

“Hahn,” another sigh left her, before she managed to straighten her back and once again still herself. Looking to that pile of leftovers and papers, she reached out a hand to it and gently pushed it - through the Force - onto the path of an oncoming cleaning droid.

“‘Ey. What ya’ doin’ here?!”

Kthira whirled at the hollering. A man was standing there, in the darkness, and she immediately saw recognized the barrel of a hunting blaster rifle levelled her way.

“Wait! Wait. I… I mean you no harm,” she instantly called out, hands rising. “I… I’m an Initiate from the Enclave. I… came here because of a feast? We were invited and… and I came as soon as i could.”

“Uh. What? Yer lil’ too late. ‘bout a couple hours too late. We started cleanin’ up after ourselves an hour ago or somethin’.”

The rifle slowly lowered and he stepped into the light of one of the scant yard lamps. He was tall, strong and old, scraggly and weathered with time and a farmer’s life.

“I… I can see that,” Kthira nodded. “I… suppose I’ll take my leave, then. I’m very sorry to have startled you, friend,” she said in a humorless, tired tone.

As she started to walk away, she turned to look up at him one last time and caught a look of surprise on the man’s face. His arm reached out for her shoulder just as she was a few paces away.

“Hol’. Wait. You’re that Initiate, ain’t you? With all of 'em? I saw you that day with th’Hounds, this week. You were… something else, you were.”

“What? I think-”

“No. No, no. S’you alright. Geez. Y’think I’d miss that skin n’ eyes? And the way ya’ just bloody cut them Hounds down left n’ right. And that other one went down n’ got hurt - the redhead. We saw how ya’ kept the Hounds from her. Tell ya’ the truth, we were more scared a’ you then than the hounds! Ha!”

He didn’t know that his laugh, and his joke, caused more of a pang of guilt inside Kthira than anything else, even if it came out of her lips as a forced chuckle. The man took a moment to lean his rifle against one of the seats, and claimed another one for himself.

“… yes. Alright, yes. That was me,” she knew the man wouldn’t budge. She’d rather he hadn’t recognized her. At that moment, all she wanted was to head back to her bunk and wait for the next day. Focus on her training. Nothing else.

“Bloody hell. You looked like somethin’, alright. S’like you were enjoyin’ it, almost.”

“… I wasn’t.”

“Hey! S’not my business. The way I see it, ya’ll did good that day. Weren’t fer you, my herd would all be dead n’ my nephew with it. Ya’ll did good n’ have our gratitude for it.”

Quietly, she listened and nodded. Her eyed drifted first to him on his chair, then to the droids roving around them.

“Well, I guess I missed it it, huh?”

“Ya did. And s’a damn shame, too. It was a good one!”

He meant it well, with a smile, but only unwittingly caused further harm.

Kthira’s silence seemed to clue him in after long, awkward moments. His white-ish brows knit and furrowed, and he let out a sigh that ruffle his charmingly unkempt old man’s beard. “'Ey, here. C’mon.”

Instistently, almost, he gestured to one of the vacant chairs next to him. Kthira had not the energy to protest.

She felt tired, exhausted even. Her body sank onto the chair and - for a moment - she doubted whether she’d ever managed to stand up from it again.

Beside her, the man tapped into a datapad he fished from a jacket pocket. Far behind them, one of the Farmstead doors hissed open and a droid slowly marched their way.

“You alright, friend? You look like you’ve been fightin’ for weeks.”

“Aheh. No. I’m alright,” she said, feeling how unknowingly right he was.

A few moments, then, and that droid came up behind them, carrying a small tray laden with meats, cheese, bread chunks and juice pressed from the farm’s produce.

“There we go. Ya missed the feast, but I’ll be damned if I’m lettin’ you go with an empty stomach. You damn well deserved what we got ya’ll for today. Heh. S’funny - you Jedi aren’t a big, festive lot. I think this was the quietest n’ least-drunk feast we ever had. Still felt good though!” The countryman had a heavy drawl. Clearly, he was the type to never stop talking once he began.

It wasn’t at all fresh, not as must’ve been in the feast hours before. It was all sitll warm enough, however, and as Kthira chewed she felt how much her body was craving it. Had it really been that long? No, there was something more. Her body was craving that… stillness. It dawned on her, then: it wasn’t that she might never leave that chair due to exhaustion, it was because her body was demanding the stillness.

“I never got yer name, anyway.”

“It’s Kthira.”

“… oh.” She felt, rather than saw, the farmer sag downwards.

“What?”

“Nothin’, nothin’.”

“No, it’s okay. What is it?”

“They uh… mentioned yer name a few times. I heard ‘em talkin’ here and there.”

“And?”

“Well… y’know. I… ah. Hmh. Tha’ red-haired girl? She wasn’t the happiest. Somethin’ tells me you should talk to her. There were one or two others, too. You uh… yeah, you should mebbe talk to some of 'em.”

She couldn’t take it, then. It was a relief - momentarily - that he’d had nothing more to say. Kthira clenched her eyes shut and grit her teeth. Her jaw visibly clenched and her fists closed as she again felt that rising ‘heat’ inside, and willed it silent with a slow exhale.

It was easier to subdue it, in that moment. The silence in the farmstead was a blessing.

“Why didn’t ya’ come, anyway? We wanted all of yas here.”

“I had training.”

“What? And the others didn’t?”

“I wasn’t done with mine.”

The Farmer’s face turned suddenly stern. The craggy lines on his cheeks deepened as he leaned in towards her. He had taken the measure of Kthira, then.

“Well… next time, get it done sooner, girl.” Saying that, then, he motioned his arm behind him in a swooping gesture at the remains of the earlier celebration. “This? All this here that ya’ missed? It woulda’ been worth it. These things’re important.”

“… you’re right.”

Silence sank then, between the two of them.

“Y’got anywhere to be, friend?”

“For now? No. Not really, not anymore.”

“Why don’tcha’ stay a lil’, then? Ain’t ever seen one like you before. I bet you have a story or two, n’ I may have a couple. I’ll have the droids bring in some more to eat.”

Kthira stared up at the stars again. It felt as if they - for a moment - looked down at her with a sense of irony. ‘Stories’.

“Well, like I said… I don’t have anywhere else to be tonight.”