Sandra Mana: Liberation

Season Intro Theme
(listen with montage)

Sandra walks down the stairs into a nightclub. The bouncer looks on her, but she waves a hand in his face and winks with a shoulder perk. He smiles drunkenly and she walks in.

Attica-Club

Spies aren’t much into nightclubs. In a career where hearing loss is a serious operational concern and crowds of strangers have to be constantly monitored, they just don’t seem like much fun.

Whether you’re in Coruscant, Viscara or Mon Calamari, club guys are a good source of information. Men say things to a beautiful woman. They give out numbers, hotel keys. They let down their guard.

Sandra goes to sit at a particular table with a few guys and girls. One man with a holo gold watch nods to the redhead model. She winks and motions to a glass as the music blasts.

alcohol-cherries-club-delicious-drinks-Favim.com-411319

Sandra picks up a drink and goes to sit next to the fellow with sleek black hair, tan blazer, and watch who slide her the drinks. Her yellow liquor just sat right with his red one. He puts an arm around Sandra and another blonde woman at the other side who cheers all together. Then the group of 10 cheers with a cry of joy and laughter in the intense beats of the nightclub.

After some sipping and half dancing in the chairs a bit, she hands him her holo and winks. He puts his number in and does the same as she inserts her own number. He takes Sandra’s hand and the group goes to the dance floor

She dances with the fellow and as they grind closely, she steps on his foot on accident and gives an ‘oops!’ look with a smile as she runs a hand on his chest. He rolls his eyes and pulls in for another dance. Though after a minute she waves cutely and motions to call her as she slips away. He gives a heads up and smirk before pulling in another girl.

As she exits the nightclub, she flips a keycard in her hands. And like that, she walks off into the night. Easy come, easy go…

istockphoto-485180014-640x640

2 Likes

Parasite Eve: Movie’s Piano Theme

Sandra walks into Mon Cal’s Consulate with her signature black blazer, skirt, and heels. They clack against the floor as she walks on by the various cubicles doing the works of the daily offices. Of course, most know nothing of the one little office in back that handles some of the blackest operations around the Republic. A humble and warm office with only 6 workers.

She doesn’t stop at the offices though, and instead, heads to the roof where she removes her blazer and sits upon a simple structure, looking up at the sky, and then her datapad. She remembers her days as a Jedi and ponders them with a certain fondness, but as she roams the halls the other day, and saw the students fairly close and even the Knights in a sort of knit wellness… she didn’t really fit in. Most of the time, she felt like an outsider, and while she adored the Jedi and the Order, Sandra knew that perhaps it was not for her anymore.

There were a few tears in her eyes that she did not expect as she looked on the datapad, pondering the words on it, despite not reading a single line. It just played images of her thoughts…

“Master, I… I wondered if I was really a Jedi still, but no matter what I did, I felt like a stranger at the temples. Even when returning to Coruscant to gaze at the grand temple, all I felt was this emptiness and loneliness. I do not know what I expected, Master. I think I wanted to be part of a family again, but I think it is beyond someone like me now who’s lost nearly everything. At least I could produce wonderful people for the Order to take with my love.”

SheridanZaleaIsena…”

“They will give the Jedi Order a better future than I could give them. It is well though, Master. As long as you are with me, I can look upon the Dusk of each coming night sky and embrace all of those who have left me to remain in this galaxy. I think… I… I will take on Bernie’s offer and understudy to be a Spymaster of the Republic. I think this is how I leave the galaxy in a better place. I am glad that Master Vrake gave me a second chance to show that I can still deliver and I will always be grateful.”

Sandra stares up at the sky again, wiping the sides of her eyes a slight before closing them for several minutes. After such, she opens her eyes and looks up at Bernie looking down at her. He gives a nod…

“Missed the meeting, Mana.”

“…I know…”

“Not like you to be getting eaten up these days.”

“I just ah… I have had a lot on my mind. After several months of teaching again at the temple and then seeing the work we do here, and… I… I do not think I am really a Jedi anymore. Not in the way I used to believe. I think working with you is how I move forward, Bernie. I visited Darian last week too…”

Bernie goes to sit next to Sandra and takes out a cigar, just holding it in his hands as he looks down to his side at her.

“Listen, Mana, no matter where you go, you’ll carry that weight. It’s up to us to make and break in this reality so that the future doesn’t have to fight and die like our comrades have. At least, not for a while until the cycle starts anew. It’s why we old timers have to invest it in you kids, despite the pain we have to make you shoulder. I think you’re a natural and if your heart is set, I’ll make it so. All you have to do is watch and learn… and you’ll be me.” Bernie chuckles.

“…I understand. I will finish up with the last student and I am all yours.”

“No need to wait, Mana. Just come to the meetings and shadow me. Everything will come in time, so just give it your best. I will keep sitting with you in the office for however long it takes to know these old bones has given you as much as possible. Go do your Jedi shit and know that you were already learning from me. Think I would wait for you to make the decision? HA!”

“…Silly.”

Sandra smiles faintly and sits up. She flattens her skirt and looks to Bernie again.
He stands and looks on her in turn. His hand reaches out and falls on her shoulder. No words are exchanged, but a thousand thoughts were transferred in that very moment before he goes to leave her be.

It’s a fair while that she sits upon the roof, waiting for the sunset to come, and as with all things in time, it does. She looks on her lightsaber and remembers the words of her master a dozen times over. So it is that she holds it close to her chest and shuts her eyes. The memories of the times in the temple in her youth filled her mind. She pondered all the moments that her masters, teachers, and allies had shared to make the times that were now

“…Always a dusk before the dawn.”

4 Likes

Life Day Eve

Sandra walks around the streets of Mon Cal quietly. The streets are not devoid of life, but many are home at this time with their families, friends, loved ones, or enjoying their yearly celebrations of getting through it. Each step of her heels echoing ever so gently as she strides along just as slowly.

Life Day: A time for joy, family, value of family tenets, and all that sort of things that people like herself could hardly enjoy without pondering how it would all be lost. Her mind and body wander through the streets that have her standing along a bridge looking out at the eternal ocean and bay. Her mind drifts…

======
Flashback

“Today was rather fun, Darian.”

“Move in with me.”

“…Hmm, I ah…why do we not move some place else like Coruscant?”

“Would be a rough commute from Coruscant to Mon Cal to work with Bernie.”

“It’s okay. I would not mind if you were safe on Coruscant, or ah… as safe as that entails. Perhaps we could stay with mother for a few days to get situated.”

“That sounds good. So, does that mean you’ll be my girlfriend now?”

“You had to go and make it weird…”

“Seriously though!”

“I guess this is pretty much a declaration of that.”

“I’ll do my best, Sandra. I love you.”

“I …ah…I feel the same.”

“Close enough, haha!”

======

Another flashback

“You won’t be another person that i’ve grown to love that goes off to die! I can’t take it anymore! Let’s leave! If it’s me you want, i’ll go with you! We can run away! I’ll bare your children if that’s what you want. Is it credits? A Job? I can find you a job! I’ll take care of you!”

“S-Sandra, you’re scaring me, stop!”

“Just tell me what you want! What do you need to stop? HOW CAN I GET YOU TO RETIRE AND STOP!? Tell me! It doesn’t matter what it is! I’ll do it! Please! PLEASE!”

“SANDRA LA’CRANA MANA!”

======

“I’ll marry you! Just… don’t die. Don’t leave me…”

======

Sandra opens her eyes to look out at the ocean, her eyes pondering the past as old friends, allies, and loves have come and gone. It was really her work and reputation that remained, if that. To be involved in the works of an agent means you rarely or never get seen.

When you’re a Spy, you’re a professional liar and deceiver. Con Artists do it for the credits and fame, but spies do it for the flag. They do it so their country or nation can live on without impediment and that the people can live their lives. You’re always on the clock and any minute can be where a senator or friend can be close to meeting a blaster bolt.

With these thoughts, she goes to the one place where maybe she can feel understood and avoid passive aggressive quips…

And so, leaving the water front, she walks back to the Mon Cal Consulate.

. . .

Once there, Sandra walks into the nearly empty building.
She walks by many empty cubicles to look on the various pictures they have on their little marble walls. As she neared her own little station, there were no pictures or indicators that a person worked there.

It is a moment later where she walks to Bernie’s office and notices its the only room with their lights on still. She peeks through the blinds to see Bernie sitting at his desk, gazing off into nothing in particular as he sips a high vintage Whiskey.

Sandra knocks on the door and Bernie pushes a button under the desk for it to open. She enters and leans against the door frame…

“Hello, Bernie. Working late?”

“Hardly. Not even the bad guys care about being busy on the holidays. Too much attention to be gained and not enough motivation. Outside of a few particular ones, of course. Why are you here though? You’re young, vibrant, and all that. No places to go? People to see? Hugs and kisses?”

“There is ah… no where I really want to be. I cannot say that I particularly feel warm or pleasant anywhere at the moment. Thought I would go to the one place where I felt really needed and wanted.”

“…i get it. Have a seat, Mana.”

Sandra sits and crosses her legs before being poured a glass of whiskey. They sip their drinks quietly for about 20 minutes, just sitting in fair company before the sound of janitors start to meander outside. Sandra asks gently…

“What is it like…?”

“It’s kind of lonely. It’s hard work. It’s staying up for days. But It’s also rewarding, noble, needed, and not so bad in the end. You have what it takes, you know.”

“Maybe so.”

“I spend time here alone everyday, but you don’t have to.”

“…What do you mean?”

“It’s Life Day. Go see your family and Markus.”

“They will die too, you know…”

“Yeah, they will, but its better to have loved and lost, than to not have done so at all. You’re young, smart, and you don’t look like you’ve been through a grinder. Go use it for a minute before you get stuck in my spot. You’ll think about those nice time and every moment of joy and warmth will keep you motivated for the rest of your life.”

“…”

“No rush. I ain’t kicking you out. It’s nice to have a partner who gets it. Gives an old man peace of mind that the youthful can get it. Not that i’m glad you seen all that shit.”

“Everything will be fine, yes?”

“Yeah… Yeah.”

“Mm…”

“You know, they are going to give out Medals in a few days. Keep up the moral and all that. You know how it is.”

“They deserve it…”

“Had Markus and Jate get the nukes to send to the Sith Capital ships in advanced. You three are something else. Glad to have spent the year working with you all.”

“Can I… propose a toast?”

“Go.”

“For the lost ones…”

“For the ones who beat us to the end.”

They look at their glasses and pour refills before a light toast. They sit in silence again and both close their eyes as the calm of the Mon Cal night goes on to play…

2 Likes

Some months later…

Sandra, in a classic cocktail black dress, looks in the mirror as she prepares for a Ball for the Mon Calamari republic soldiers and engineers. The choker is tied nice and securely, hair let down, and just the right shades of black accented liner and shadow. When done, she stares in the mirror for a moment…

“It is strange…to look in the mirror and to see someone you do not mind looking back at. I wonder what everyone would think of me now? Might be a mix of opinions, but I think it is well.”

Sandra slips the short saber hilt down the center of her chest, tucked up front out of sight, and with one final check, she goes to slip on her black heels, lacing the straps up her shin.

She steps out side of her hotel room in the city, and a limo pulls up just at 5pm, on the millisecond. Sandra steps inside and looks to Bernie who is leaning back casually against the seats.

“Used to be these things would be far more simple. Simple black seats, an arm rest bar, and leg ups. Look at this now, like a spice rave in a speeder. This what the kids like?”

“…A little color in one’s life is not so bad.”

“I hate these parties. Formality is a pain in the ass. Every time Bart brings his husband, he always gets awkwardly perky and loud. Stacy always ends up with a crowd and it just gets awkward when the boys and girls fight over her. People are strange creatures. Just give me a criminal with a goal, and i’ll tell you 40 ways on how to deal with it.”

“It is better to sit at the bar and chat with the bartender. Usually the smartest person in the room…”

Bernie takes out his blaster and gives it a once over. Sandra crosses her legs then folds her hands in her lap to also sit in silence. The trip to the Grand Ballroom of the Zoracchi Hotel in Mon Cal’s Manor District is grand. A single island just off the coast lays the abstract design. Long lines are formed on all sides as ships slip in and out to ferry people to its lavished environment.

apeiron

The interior is a lavished cascade of water on each room, falling down to the center in a gorgeous display, then pumped up back to the top again to create an elegant continuation of modern design.

Most are dressed in various form of military formality. All sorts of ranks and other military types invited as guests are also in attendance. The air of the place reeks of lavished lifestyle, bright smiles, and a fair greetings to many of those in or around the republic ‘family’, so to speak. Sandra and Bernie enter when their time comes, her arm around his in formality as they make their way into the central chamber on the mid deck. This open air platform with an orange statue of the architect is a gorgeous and egotistical stand out in the all white platform.

The bar infront of the statue serves hundreds of drinks at one time as various bartenders move about. Waiters and waitresses move in and out of the hotel proper to refill stations in perfect sync. The pair make their way to a standing side of the bar and both order a whiskey on the rocks.

“…So many people, soldiers, and the likes. Uncomfortable.”

“Get on past it, Mana. Even we troublemakers have to put on display and face sometimes. The kind of diplomatic shit i’m sure you had to do when you were a Robe.”

“Was a pain. Any wrong word could have meant serious issues. I would not wish it on any one…”

“Didn’t invite the hubby?” He smirks at her.

Sandra rolls her eyes and sips her drink.
“Just doing my own thing today…”

“I get it. It’s hard to get used to that life when you’re used to always being on your own. Must be a shorter line of suckers now that you’re married. How is that like?”

“…A crude question. Pretty much none now. Though the occasional venturer, but otherwise it is pleasant to have my own business minded while I do some reflecting. Had a bit of a religious experience the other week and has made me thing about what Balance in myself and decisions are. Hard to explain to atheist like you, hehe…”

“Don’t hate the player, Mana. Magic shit ain’t my thing. Only magic I do is having 90 arms and reaching all over wihile only looking like I have two. Neat trick i’d say. Let’s go mingle. Won’t learn anything about nothing on the side lines.”

“Understood…”

“Loosen up a bit. Have some of that young people fun that your people keep telling you to have, hahaha!”

“…I will try.” She takes a deep breath

The pair walk about greeting various strangers. The vibe in the room is aloof, playful, energetic, and welcoming as the classical music plays in the background. Dancers on the floor are enjoying their ballroom fun as others are either drinking, mingling, or having locker room like laughs in the corners. Everything feels in slower motion to Sandra, the room in her mind is black and white, her eyes grazing everyone a moment as the pair walk around white platform. For a moment she blinks… and the platform is empty of all life.

A hand runs through her hair as muddled words and whispers still touch her senses as they are all filtered out. For a moment, there is a calm amidst the platform in her mind. Her arm is gently touched and suddenly all the people, color, and life returns. Her eyes dart to a fellow who seems a commander rank of sorts. He is slightly taken aback by the piercing gaze…

“Hello, miss. Commander Laza of Mon Cal’s instillation base 243. A pleasure to meet you.”

“…Sandra. Mon Cal Consulate secretary. I work for Bernie here, head of security.”

“Nice to meet you both. I hate to steal your partner in crime away, but may I have a dance, Miss Sandra? I would surely like to chat you up and see what lays beneath such eyes.”

Sandra looks to Bernie and he looks back to her. He raises a brow, she narrows her lips, he narrows his eyes, she peeks aside, he nods and then she peeks to the fellow…

“Very well, we may do so.”

Sandra leaves Bernie’s arm and goes to take the Commander’s. Bernie smirks and goes to do a bit more meandering and greetings. The pair reach the dance floor and begin a fair waltz. He asks simple questions about where she’s from, what brings her to the event, and so on. Her answers are short, simple, and somewhat un-engaging.

“I hope I am not boring you, Miss Sandra.”

“Apologies, I am… not usually one for conversations. Kind of an introvert…”

“I think I understand. It’s alright, no problem. I hope you enjoyed the dance at least, haha.”

“It was wonderful, Commander. You are a gentleman and I adored being engaged pleasantly. Please enjoy the rest of your evening, Commander Laza.”

“A blessed night to you.”

Sandra leaves the dance floor and runs a hand through her hair. A polite fellow. She looks on the crowd and studies them quietly for a while before heading inside the hotel proper…

The quiet redhead walks through the ocean of guests to the upper veranda above the bar, looking about quietly as she leans on the railing. Some fellows smile to her and she waves back on occasion or perks a shoulder. Her eyes peek over to Bernie who is next to her suddenly, leaning on the same bar.

“Bernie…”

“Mana.”

They stare at the crowd together for 30 mins before Sandra narrows her eyes a slight, a bad feeling building up in her stomach. Her eyes dart to a series of individuals who are chatting in a corner. About 12 of them…

“Bernie, the group over there. Something is not right…”

Spies are trained to keep track of multiple conversations at the same time. Standing alone as you eavesdrop is too obvious. You need to engage in a cover conversation near your target. Pure lip-reading takes years to master. But confirming what you’re hearing by checking lips is a much easier skill to pick up.

Bernie pats her shoulder and she nods, both heading down to meander near the group. They fake chuckle and talk about wine as they listen to the conversation. Bernie picks up some odd phrases that don’t seem to fit any sort of conversational means. Something about wolves in the crystal light and after this line…

“Bernie!”
“MANA!”

Party Music…? Click~

Blasters are drawn as the 12 ring out shots all over the lobby randomly into the dozens of people. Some officers draw their blasters, looking for where, but some are met with the initiative of the 12…

"FOR THE SITH!"

Sandra draws her lightsaber from her chest and cuts some arms off in a single swing, Bernie starts heading by the bar behind him as he ducks and fires off into the 12. There’s more screaming in the distance as Sandra curses, darting through the remainder of the surprise attackers, leaving them as amputated remains on the floor. Bernie runs to to a side corridor where various republic are in a shoot out across the white bridge between the building that connects the hovering white circle outside. As they reach the bridge’s opening, several Sith decloak and fire at the backs of the soldiers taking cover.

She dashes by to deflect the shots away from their backs while Bernie fires on them. As another wave pushes to cross the bridge, taking and shooting at those in the center, Commander Laza behind the golden statue calls out a rallying call, getting civilians behind it and the bar as best he can.

Screen Shot 2023-10-25 at 4.47.48 PM

Sandra Force Pulls a blaster from a fallen soldier. She bends Bernie down to make him evade a blaster shot, rolls over him to fire at one of the attackers, and when he stands they are back to back firing into the crowds tactically.

“It’s a little hard to tell who’s a friendly when everyone is wearing nearly the same damn thing, Mana! Who planned this?! Dammit!”

“…9:30”
“Mine or yours?”
“Yours…”

He fires exactly so and a Sith goes down.

“8:35…”

He fires again and hits another in the crowd.

“9:15, by the pot…”

Bernie hits a fellow in the chest and is rendered useless.

“Magic bullshit is something else.”

Sandra deflects a bolt and fires on a Sith who decides to come out of cover to change positions without suppressive fire. Another is looked at, and he’s thrown aside like a toy with little care to where he lands.

When a pro plans an ambush, they capitalize on the element of surprise.
They attack aggressively so their opponent has to react from a place of weakness.

The commander rallies a movement to take the center of the bridge, as officers inside finally organize and coordinate. The commander moves to the center bridge as the right side of the entry is flanked by officers, pinching the Sith.

“We need to make sure the republic flankers don’t get flanked themselves. Let’s move around this floor around the outer end of the hotel back to the other side.”

“Understood…”

HEY, SOLDIERS! Flanking tactics, push around the exterior, ON ME!”

“Who the hell are you?” One of the soldiers calls out.

“Black Ops, you in or you wanna die tonight?”

“OoRah! Is that a goddamn Jedi in heels?”

“Who cares, get to it!” Bernie shouts out.

The group starts making their way from the left side of the building around the way to the right, picking off stragglers as they go, finally meeting back with the flanking group pinching on the Sith at the doorway.

“This is Commander Laza! Push in with the building team! Suppressive fire!”
“YES, SIR!” Various call out.

The bridge team pushes into the open, firing on the doorway. The building team presses in when their flank is cleared by Bernie’s team.
With some comms coordination, the bridge team and hotel team collide with the east bridge’s Sith, and are promptly removed from ability to retaliate.

======================

When the storm has settled, security teams check the other floors of the hotel for the next few hours as guests are organized, wounded are checked, and all else is done…

Sandra leans against a wall and pushes some hair from her face, sighing sadly and heavily as she watches med teams and improv doctors go around. Bernie comes over and leans on the wall with her and gives an upward nod.

“You good, Mana?”

“I am well enough…”

“Pain in the ass.”

“…Mm.”

“Got an evac landing in a few minutes, need a ride?”

“I will stay for a while, but thank you…”

“Alright, take it easy, you hear.”

“Likewise…”

Bernie looks on her a moment and gives a nod. She gives a thin smile before he heads off. Sandra studies the passing crowds for a time before heading to one of the washrooms.

She sets the random blaster on one side of the sink and the saber on the other.
The water of the sink is turned on. Sandra looks in mirror and lets the water run on her hands as the quiet of the fancy washroom echos the sink’s water gently. A soft sigh escapes before looking down to the water falling into the abyss.

“…Just how it goes, I suppose.”

Sandra picks up her lightsaber and goes to sit in a corner, sliding back against the wall to the floor, and tapping the saber gently against her thigh as she ponders… letting the anxiety and adrenaline fizz away into obscurity…

2 Likes

Sandra sits in Bernie’s office in the Mon Cal Consulate. At his desk, everything is powered down and all is quiet. Such would be expected for being there at 3 AM when the offices are cleared.

Watching the Dantooine Temple collapse, listening to screams echo in the air, watching her allies and friends clashing into the waves of enemies seeking to lay waste to everything… it was dizzying.

Her head and eyes hang to stare into oblivion as the scenes played in her mind…

=================

“Mana! We’re holding the archives. Time to put in some work today. If they get past us, these guys are going to get hundreds of years of data no big bad should have. You hear?”

“Yes, Bernie… I understand.”

“Good, lets get to work with the temple guards.”

Before the archives, Sandra rends and cripples dozens of Sith, guards, saber toters fresh to the fight, and droids. Bernie fires his heavy repeater into the crowds of enemies as temple guards defend from the sides. It was… terrible. Waves upon waves, bodies upon bodies, droids upon droids… no sounds played in her mind as the blaze of silver streaked across her vision.

After some time of defense, she felt a wave of exhaustion as the death wore upon her. PTSD ravaged her body as her hands shook, her beads of sweat ran down her face, and the explosions made her flinch as she looked aside in terror for a moment. Bernie puts a hand on her shoulder and she nearly screamed. Looking over to see his face, she nods and he nods in turn.

A massive swarm approached and her heart sank. Moments of flashbacks took her for a few seconds before suddenly… Knight Kai leaps into the crowd of saber toting Sith, followed soon by Barsen’thor Thess, Ash, Kairos, Padawan Silmeria, Knight Nyx, and more, clashed into the foes. A moment of inspiration struck as they fearlessly did so and so she drove in as well. Waves more of foes were defeated after what felt like hours of fighting.

When it was done, she looked on those who smiled at her and for a moment… there was a warmth in the coldness of death. It was times like this that she remembered that Jedi were inspirations to those of falling hearts and those sinking into darkness. And as they went to deal with other matters, the inspiration takes into her heart as she resumes defending…

=================

“Was I ever that inspiring…? I rarely remember such things. There was a time where I would hardly flinch at such foes. I would have gladly rended them for the greater good, for justice, and peace. Now my hands shake and I feel sick…”

Sandra sets her elbows on the desk and rests her face in her hands.

“What is wrong with me…? These studies of Balance, creating a life that is not centered around annihilation, destruction, and death… it is so hard.”

It’s seconds later that the door opens and Bernie walks in with his caff. He looks somewhat surprised to see Sandra at his desk. Slowly he walks over and pulls up a chair on the other side of the desk to take a sip of the coffee.

“What’s on your mind, Mana?”

“A lot has happened in the last few days. Dantooine really messed me up, Bernie. I adored being a Jedi, all in all, and watching it all fall apart tears me apart too. It was my childhood, Bernie, the people who gave me the abilities to sustain and live now, yes?”

“We’ve both seen homes and lives fall to shit because of war. I’ve cooked a few dozen Mandalorians and Rebels with my own beam cannon. And you were a kid growing up on the battlefields, so you know what it means to be on both ends of that. Jate has seen enough in his own lifetime too, so even his own mannerisms are a tempered representation of not just existing on war alone. Building is harder than destroying, Mana. While we’re here to make sure the builders can do so in peace, we have to keep poking the guys in the dark.”

“…Reminds me of something Jate said about Builders and Defenders being just as equally needed. Think I should mess around on the Builder’s side?”

“Wouldn’t hurt you. Kho Kahn gave you all that data to make wondrous things with, so why not take to some of that? Guy was a mad genius after all, maybe you will gleam some of that.”

“Maybe I should work on projects more often. I have some, um…I think friends I can really nerd out with now too. My days have been with researching the goods from Tython and getting further in my own self imposed training.”

“You have proper friends now, huh? Maybe the advice to go live a little is finally starting to sink in. I keep telling you that you’re still young. Use your pretty years on the fun things in life, the exploration, the passion, the energy. You’ll miss it in 40 years. Aren’t you starting a family soon?”

“. . .” Sandra looks away and sighs.

“…I know what that means. Life is like that, Mana. Ups and downs are what build character and resilience. You’ll look back on the good times in 40 years and you’ll laugh, you’ll smirk, and maybe a bit of the fond thoughts will be what make your twilight a beautiful place to live in. Knowing that you lived so many ways, so many lives, and brought that smart noggin to others, so don’t frown too much or you’ll get old early, haha!”

“…I …I suppose. Hey um, do you want to get out of her and I can treat you to a coffee that is not gut wrenching? Some of the girls suggested a place and I ah… it could be fun.”

“Let’s hit the road then. Work can wait an hour or two. Besides, Chana has been doing insanely good work with organizing my schedules, messages, and more. She was a damn good hire.”

“She is rather lovely and sweet. Perhaps we should have an office outing…?”

“You know how spies are, Mana. Likely not gonna happen, but you never know. For now, lets get caff’d and shoot the shit somewhere nicer than an office.”

" Okay…!"

And so they drive off to a local cafe to chat about life and the past for a time. Pondering the differences between a young agent and the now old one. To her, she felt like his Padawan… learning so much and gaining what she can before he sends her off to take his place or manage her own life.
Regardless, it was… nice.

2 Likes