Silmeria Ren'dal

Silmeria Ren’dal
Species: Human
Height: Slightly below average
Build: Powerful… she lifts and never skips leg day.
Skin Color: Light… Clearly she spent a lot of time in space.
Hair Color: Dark brown, long, lots of volume.
Eye Color: Blue
Birthplace: Coruscant

The Story:

“Take the shot, Speedy.”

It was the voice of her father—encouraging, hopeful, expectant. “Come on, Speedy, take the shot.”

Her hands gripped the controls of her fighter. The vast shape of a cruiser loomed before her. Her focus was on the shield generator. She had a chance to hit it, possibly not disable it, but she would now never know. She had an engine out. Smoke and the smell of burning metal filled the cockpit. Red lights flashed everywhere. She felt the damp of sweat inside her flight suit. One more salvo of swarm missiles would finish her and her gunner. And the cruiser was reloading. She needed to get out of there. But, in later reflection, the possibility of what she might have accomplished if she had risked a shot haunted her. More than a thousand men were about to die.

She couldn’t take the shot. She was afraid to lose her ship. Not again. That day she chose to withdraw and seek one of the many replacement ships the Navy had on hand.

But that decision haunted her. It haunted her because she thought it might not have been prudence, but fear. So the battle was fought again every night in her dreams. Every night she was stuck in an endless loop. Dodging swarm missiles and lining up the shot she never took. Stuck until she could find the courage to take the shot.

“Come on, Speedy,” the hopeful voice of her father said again.

She knew well when she learned fear. In a situation not too different…

Not too long ago Silmeria Ren’dal sat at the pilot’s seat of the bulk freighter Legacy. The instrument panels that still worked were all showing red. The minimally armed ship was taking a pounding from a pirate ship. Swinging out from a large asteroid, it was on them almost as soon as the bulk freighter came out of hyperspace.

“Engines are out. Weapons are down. I’ve got no control response,” Silmeria said.

Gavin Ren’dal, her father, sat in the seat next to her. He was frowning at his console, flipping switches to regulate the ship’s dying systems. He was an older man in good shape with wispy hair and beard streaked with gray.

“It’s alright Speedy. I don’t know why they didn’t take our dropped cargo pods. You did well but in this thing—we never really had a chance.” He unbuckled his harness and rose. “Not in space at least.”

Her father turned and walked purposefully out and down the corridor. Silmeria threw off the harness and jumped out of her seat rushing to catch up. As they walked, she felt the ship lurch and realized the Legacy would soon be boarded. The pirates hadn’t responded to communications. And the Legacy had dropped valuable cargo pods behind them. But the pirates ignored them. They wanted the whole damn ship it seemed—or prisoners.

“What are we going to do?” Silmeria asked.

“You’re going into the hidden storage compartment,” Gavin said. “The rest of us, well, we’ll make them regret their choices.”

They came through the doorway into a rush of activity. The crew had gathered and were arming themselves. There were three in particular she had known her all her life. Two were maintenance techs, a man named Elgon and a wookie named Kruwbuf. They were hauling out weapons cases. A stern middle aged woman named Velra, the chief engineer and the closest thing Silmeria had to a mother, was giving directions. These three were like family. Behind them were more transient workers. One was a handsome young man who always seemed to be around to make conversation since he’d come on three months ago. He was fumbling with a tactical belt but when she entered he looked up. Their eyes met. He was afraid.

“Equip weapons and armor,” Velra said, supervising the pandemonium. “Take whatever you need.”

Silmeria started for a rifle but her father took her hand and pulled her back. “Not today, Speedy.”

“But I…”

“You’re going to hide.” He lowered his voice. “We’re not all going to make it out of this one. But if you make it out, whatever else happens, I’ll consider it a win.”

She shook her head, blinking back tears. He hugged her. “You have to get out. Stay in the compartment. Wait. Be patient. You’ll get your chance to slip out unnoticed. You’re the most important thing to me, Speedy. You’re all that matters. I’m buying you a chance to get out because right now, that’s the thing I want most of all. Understand?”

She nodded.

In an uncharacteristic display, Velra approached and gave her a hug. “You were always a bright girl. You’ll be alright. Now go.”

And she went. She never got a chance to say goodbye to Elgon, Kruwbuf, or the young maintenance tech. She didn’t have a chance to get back to her room, to retrieve the ring that belonged to her mother. It was all she had. That one thing. She didn’t even have a memory, or an image, or a story. Her father always put off telling her anything.

Silmeria went into the hidden compartment and waited. But eventually they found her, hiding in the dark. She was dragged to the other ship where she came face to face with the Captain.

“So you tried to hide?” he asked with amusement. “Ever think that we’re the experts at smuggling? But don’t worry. You’ll be treated well enough for now. Can’t say what’ll happen after you’re sold. But for now, well, we’re not savages. No. Thing is, we’re bein’ pressed. Pressed hard by the higher powers. I always thought that it’s bad long term to take whole ships. But we need more than your drops. We had no choice in that.”

Silmeria glared at him but said nothing.

The Captain shook his head. “It’s a shame that crew of yours all fought to the death. Bad business. Whoever was flyin’ that hunk of metal was a first class pilot. Really. I say that 'cause our own pilot’s trash. We could’ve used a good pilot.” He looked at her curiously, giving her a moment to speak. Silmeria continued to glare but said nothing. With a shrug he said, “I guess you’re good for the price you’ll fetch, at the least.”

She was thrown into a filthy cell and left alone, fearing the visits that never came. All that came was food through a slot. Then, after long isolation, she found herself actually yearning for human contact. Spending so much of her life in space, she knew when they went into hyperspace and when they came out. She didn’t understand why so much time went by. They made so many stops. She could be anywhere.

Finally, one day as she lay on the cold deck, Silmeria woke to the sounds of battle. She curled up as the ship maneuvered and shuddered under impacts. After a silence she heard the blasts and shouts of fighting. That didn’t last long either. Then she was suddenly bathed in blinding light as the door opened.

“I’ve got one!”

She squinted and blinked. A soldier of the Republic stood over her in his red armor. She saw a hand held out to her, palm up.

“Come on, Speedy, get up.” The voice was in her head, hopeful, encouraging.

She was paralyzed with fear. It was so irrational. But she couldn’t move.

“Get on your feet,” the voice in her head said again. “It’s important that you walk out of here.”

She looked up at the hand offered. Her body didn’t move. So, like a child, she was carried in the arms of the solder, hugging his neck until she was set onto a medical bed.

A few days later she was on Viscara with nothing but a new set of clothes.

“It is not tragedies that define us,” Velra’s voice was in her head, “Rather it is the choices we make.” It was one of many lessons learned from the woman’s tutoring. Silmeria nodded and said to herself, “Right. This beats a cell.”

Next to her, a refugee gave her an odd look.

Silmeria smiled at him. “I’m ready to work. Aren’t you? There are plenty of opportunities here.”

“If you’re crazy,” he muttered.

“I’m going to earn enough credits to buy my own ship,” she told him despite his obvious lack of interest. She decided she would make a new home. And this time, it would have guns—really big guns. Maybe she’d join the Navy. Maybe. Either way, she was going to make a fortune and those pirates would one day fear her.

And that was the not so distant past. At present, Silmeria lay in her bunk, stirring in her sleep, the same dream, or nightmare, playing through her mind in an unbroken loop. She was at the controls of her fighter in the midst of battle. Missiles swerved and raced at her. Blasts and laser fire were all around. Her ship was heavily damaged—on the edge of destruction. The cruiser ahead was preparing another round of fire. In her sights, its shield generator. Take the shot, she told herself. No, I made the smart choice. Or was I afraid? I must not give in to fear. Take the shot. But she never managed it. So the battle went on and on and on…

1 Like

Not too long ago, in a galaxy far, far away…

Silmeria laid on a medical table. Members of the Jal Shey monitored her condition. She was not exactly conscious. Neither was her mind inactive. It cycled through memories, harsh memories of war. Inside her head, questions arose. To find answers, to make sense of all the loss, another war began. This war was a conflict of visions.

At the highest cognitive level, Silmeria could not remember the war she had fought. Beneath consciousness, the war for her soul raged on. This was where two Jal Shey telepaths stepped onto the mental battlefield of her mind.

Inside her head…

“She must face the realities of life,” the mental image of Silmeria’s mother said. “She must outgrow her childish optimism. There’s no place for the weak, no cause to morn their passing. It’s natural they fall. Only the strong endure.”

The woman was tall, with a body and face that would be considered extraordinarily attractive by most standards. An arrogant grin spread across that face. “I am pleasantly surprised at Silmeria’s strength. Reports estimate two hundred fifty thousand dead by her hand or on her orders. There is something to be said for raw intelligence and determination even in one without the slightest flicker of force sensitivity.”

The mental image of Silmeria’s father studied the woman for a moment. The man was solidly built, with brown hair and blue eyes the exact shade as Silmeria’s. “Weak and strong? War is no proper standard. War is an aberration. Speedy sees the galaxy as it should be, as it could be: peaceful and prosperous. Everyone has a place and adds value to it in their own way. The darkness presently sweeps away lives and fortunes, but this isn’t the nature of the universe. It’s a corruption to be fought and defeated.”

As Silmeria lay on the medical table, the Jal Shey peering into Silmeria’s mind sought their own answers to such questions to guide the young woman, to break the psychological block. They reasoned with the constructs of her mind with words that would become deeply impressed upon her psyche.

Inside her head, more mental constructs appeared as the more fundamental questions resolved. They confronted the Jal Shey visitors with new questions.

The image of a Wookie, tall and lean, a friend to Silmeria since childhood, spoke inside her head. “Speedy doesn’t have to fight anymore. She’s already done so much. Besides, she doesn’t owe anyone anything. Let others carry on the fight. She ought to go to a world the war will never reach, and practice her trade in peace.”

Next to him, a stern woman with gray in hair pulled back tighly into a ponytail frowned disapprovingly. “'I raised Silmeria as my own daughter. I loved her. I know what she’s capable of. Her intelligence is off the charts and so is her persistence. With ability comes responsibility. Fighting the war is a grim task, certainly. But so many need her.”

In her mind, the debate proceeded. As it did, the battles she had fought were relived, a jumble of sensory data the sentient mind struggled to make sense of, a record of death and loss it needed to assign meaning to.

In the cockpit of a starfighter in Mordris Haven Nebula, Silmeria watched the Stargazer burn, knowing most of the crew went down with it. At Drusor’s Rift, Silmeria was in a starfighter again, where she destroyed three of the enemy’s, making her an ace. Drusor’s Rift was littered with debris and corpses.

And then, the sun of Phaseera made her battered armor hot as she climbed back to her feet. She’d taken a blow to the side that was going to put her in the med bay, but with the adrenaline, she didn’t even feel it yet. Covering a Republic retreat on a world lost to the Empire, she took one last look back across a battlefield littered with the fallen before pushing on.

And then, Silmeria worked the weapons console of the RNS Trident, battery fire had blasted the hulls of a Derriphan and an Interdictor. Crewmen on duty were swept out of battered ships and into the void on both sides, their bodies joining the wrecks of fighters strewn about Nurthu’s Citadel.

And then, On Vercon 3, Silmeria moved through streets lined with bodies. Every side street she looked down revealed Imperial droids attacking civilians. She had no time to stop even part of it. She had to press on or her own team would be lost. Ahead of her, lightsabers in blues and greens clashed with red. She was already limping from saber wounds. Best to keep a distance. She pulled her blaster rifle into her shoulder. As she lined up a shot the dim light of dusk gave way to noontime brilliance. She lowered the rifle and lifted her gaze into the sky as turbolaser battery fire rained down in the distance. Imperial bombardment would wipe out tens of millions.

And then, Silmeria sat in the command seat of the RNS Thorn. The burning hulks of Hutt built capital ships drifted in a multiship debris field. She could hear a stream of reports of desperate fighting across decks of multiple ships, voices constantly interrupted by screams and blaster fire.

And then, on the deck of an Imperial ship she climbed back to her feet. Bodies lay all up and down the corridor. Some stirred. Most were still, the distinct stillness of death. Her eyes moved to one of her fellow soldiers. That soldier’s right leg was now cut off at the knee. She took one unsteady step in that direction then glanced down the corridor. She had to get to the bridge or this would all be for nothing.

And then, Silmeria ran down the decks of a Centurion Class Battlecruiser. The corridors were strewn with corpses, both Imperial and Republic. She laughed despite the horror. The plan had worked! The ship’s garrison: defeated. She now had a Centurion! Sliding into the Captain’s chair, she quickly saw the battlefield of Sorix was as much a graveyard as the decks of her newly captured ship. Even the advanced computers strained to process the vast wreckage of ships spread across the system.

And then, from behind the barricades outside of the Aeolus Embassy, Silmeria fired her blaster, shooting dead one cultist after another. She could see their faces as they fell. In the wilds of Viscara she did the same. Again, and again, and again. At an Imperial listening post she gunned down men as they raced out of the barracks, having had only enough time to grab rifles. And still, beside her, some of her own men fell to return fire.

And then, over Viscara, Silmeria flew an Aurek, shooting down Sith fighters and bombers, watching their flaming wreaks streak down to the wartorn wastelands below.

And again, Silmeria sat in the command seat of the RNS Dauntless. Behind her battlecruiser the burning wrecks of Derriphans and Irluuk Assault Cruisers burned. In orbit of the planet, she watched the enemy space station and supply depot explode. It was a mission accomplished and she didn’t think then of how many were on those when they went.

And then, Silmeria stood inside a secret base on Onderon. The team she was part of blasted Imperials until the corridors were lined with the dead.

And then, Silmeria was on an enemy cruiser. She fought to the bridge alongside others, deck by deck, leaving a trail of corpses.

Once more, Silmeria sat in the command seat of the RNS Dauntless as the Imperial force that had long blockaded the Viscaran hyperlanes was wrecked. Most of them fought to the death before only a very few signaled surrender.

“I keep on fighting?” Silmeria asked.

In her mind, she now sat in the command seat of a Republic Hammerhead cruiser. It held position over Manaan against an armada of Centurion battlecruisers, Interdictors, Irluuks and a multitude of fighters. Turbolasers blazed and shields flashed as incoming fire rocked the ship.

The bridge was crewed by the fallen from every battle Silmeria had ever fought, a multitude only to be contained in her mind, but not possible in waking reality, not in so small a space.

Her blue eyes fixed on the mental passengers and she asked a more fundamental question as the battle raged around her.

“Why?”

2 Likes