Suggestion: Benefits and Detriments to Cybernetics

So, this more comes from a lore sense of things regarding cybernetics as a whole. Whether using the Force or not. Here’s my thought on a potentially interesting system.

Cybernetics as a whole can function as PERMANENT changes to a character, in a mechanical sense. Boosting stats or even an extra edge on some skills, depending. Something that properly represents having something like cybernetics (and the cyborg race itself by extension).

So, permanent boosts. But on the other end of things, with the detriments, it can make them increasingly more vulnerable to certain damage types, like electricity. Likewise, to show the actual disconnect from the Force, they can give a permanent decrease to FP that stacks as it goes, and has different degrees of it depending on the cybernetic in question.

Essentially, a way to properly show cybernetics in mechanics, carrying some good benefits, but equal detriments that make a great deal of sense even from a lore perspective.

2 Likes

I strongly second this, because I am seeing some with Cybernetics and they could if they decided to stand toe to toe with my Jedi in force powers, which they really shouldn’t be able to. Can we also change it from being a Race to being a background as any living creature can be a cyborg.

I very much agree with that, as well. Cyborg has always felt off to me as being a “Race” to select on creation. Makes very little sense, imo. Should more be a background.

It could easily be that cyborgs start off with a cybernetic right out the gate?

That was my thought as well, actually. Like… 1-3 basic cybernetics or something along those lines.

Having too much out of the gate could push them above the curb with other races

That’s why I had my cyborg specialize in heavy armor so there would be that automatic nerf/delay in when I had him use force abilities.

The thinking being somebody with metal or synthflesh for a replacement limb or two (or a couple organs) could ya know, still use the force some if they trained it up, obviously but there’d be that consequence right out of the starting gate that they wouldn’t be as quick as somebody who was fully natural.

I also went with the recommendation that if you have a cyber arm don’t use force lightning and took that a step further and we’ve been RPing it as it being kind of reasonable for a cyborg to have an inherent fear of lightning because well… the robotic parts that keep them alive getting taken offline is really dangerous… no life support means you are dying.

Which kinds of mechanical benefits and penalties to attributes would there be to look forward to? One set physical + and mental + and one set physical - and physical -? During character creation?
As for the permanent changes… would we be able to make cybernetics as a craftable thing if a character has high engineering? I wonder how that might work…

The idea of crafting is a possibility. As for the rest, this is honestly just a loose suggestion on the thing. Not really ironed out any kind of actual mechanics involved.

1 Like

Curious about it. I’ve seen it come up before a few times.
Also since I’m playing a cyborg, so there’s that too. Haha.