Suggestion: Force utility/support

Force utility and support are incredibly hard to level, running at XP = Total Xp divided by the ratio of casts to attacks

This means, if you have a 400xp enemy and it takes say 10 attacks to kill and you have cast a single utility/support power utility and support get 1/11th of the XP.

I propose we move the Support/Utility XP gain from the combat pool to the Armor pool, thus a 400xp enemy would be 400 combat, 200 support/utility and 200 armor

3 Likes

I like this :open_mouth: but I also had hoped there might be a small means to carry XP from buffs?
If I have say force Aura on myself, and I slay an enemy, so long as I still have aura active it would be nice to receive support XP.

1 Like

It really is needlessly hard to level support and utility sounds worse from what I’ve been told. Something like this is a rather elegant solution to that.

This would be incredibly useful as I’ve been gating Litii’s progression in the force behind force support based on what she has been taught and leveling force support through unconscious bursts rather than active things. It takes ages and is largely stuck to tomes for advancement. While I can just buy a perk for a combat use and that will just level easily. So I support this. o.o

Agreed. I’ll get 400 XP for armor, a little less than 200 for One-Handed and Shield, and then the remainder from those two for Force Support if I cast heal or aura. It’s ridiculously hard to level because it’s not, in fact, a combat skill - anyone with half a brain would naturally use it outside of combat, since killing foes faster is more efficient than wasting turns to heal yourself.

As it is, using it is gated by FP Regen/stim packs anyways. I would like it if using a Force Support skill had a 1-minute timer to enter combat to gain Force Supp-related XP…but that’s an unnecessary complication.

People complained about not getting enough armor XP so we increased that pool. I think making force abilities share the same pool will regress us backwards in that aspect.

Based on your post I believe the problem is that force abilities don’t give you enough underlying “points” which affects the distribution of your XP. Maybe this increases from 1 to 2 or 3. This will increase the XP ratio so that one spell counts for 2 or 3 times as much as hitting an enemy once.

There are two other changes I’d like to implement before we consider moving forward with this shared pool XP idea.

1.) Add more support and utility abilities. There’s not enough right now which is part of the reason why it’s difficult for you to level these skills.
2.) If you or another character is affected by your buff and they enter combat, you should receive a certain percentage of XP for that enemy. I.E: If you cast Force Aura on Lanari, the next battle Lanari enters you’ll receive XP for Force Support.

To be clear: I’m not saying “no”. I’m saying I want those two-three changes in first before we consider sharing it with the armor pool.

I still think it would be better to give force support/utility their own pool to draw from, rather than taking away from attack and armor pools

Also, afaik, its still impossible for people to get force utility powers at all because what powers there are are not available without already having force utility skill ranks. The only ppl that have force utility powers are those that were around before the force overhaul and were able to respend their force skillpoints into utility, which gives them a bit of an unfair advantage over everyone else