Suggestion: Text Messaging

Right now, its really awkward to send a text message cause we have to do it as party chat instead of tells. What if we had a system similar to Arelith’s Speedy Messenger Service, where we could use a kiosk or a “datapad” item in our inventory to send a text message that doesn’t require being in a party.

Basically, we would use the datapad or kiosk, it would tell us to name the recipient, and then type the message for it to be delivered, and our message wouldn’t have to be echoed to those nearby like comms are since people wouldn’t necissarily be able to see what you’re typing

I like the idea, but if were using the Speedy Messanger service as a reference, the Speedy speaks it publicly for any nearby to hear. Its design is so that people can spy and such without metagaming and such. My basic rule of thumb, if you don’t want people to overhear what your saying…arrange a meeting place, then meet and talk. You shouldn’t be able to plan evil and vile deeds 50 miles apart without people being able to intercept. Otherwise whats the point of spies, espionage and such? Just win for the evil side. Or good?

Could have it broadcast whisper instead of talk

The problem with that remains the same, you can pretty much guarantee no one is ever in whisper range as Hide in plain sight really doesn’t exist here to balance it out. So again, guaranteeing the villains/good guys can hold secret plotting missions even on separate planets…which I think is just boring as hell.

It makes it more realistic that way, since texting is a real thing. IRL you can plot with anybody from anywhere, and the only way you can get spied on is highly sophisticated devices and programs. In a world with this much technology, it makes sense to be able to text back and forth, and communicate without the need for a live direct connection that monopolizes a comm signal (IE, be able to text without having to be in a party and having it broadcast to everyone nearby)

Except this isn’t the real world, its fantasy. Where your actions do directly effect other players. I am sorry, but if you wanna be evil and shit, there should be a way to discover your evil. If you wanna ride both sides of the fence, then ICly be careful about doing it, not make mechanics so you can be invincible and uncatchable. Im sorry, I would not support this change, as it just makes evil a bigger meme then it already is.

Its not about being evil, its about real life conveniences and making them not awkward to take advantage of. Fantasy or not, realistic is still realistic.
Also, this isnt strictly fantasy. Its Sci-fi fantasy.spying isnt really a thing currently anyway without dm involvement. Having a silent messaging service isnt really gonna affect that

Actually spying is TOTALLY a thing IG without DM involvement, I should know, I have done it. Won’t say with which char or with whom, but I know it has. So yes, it would entirely effect that.

You can also make sure no one is in talk range by just going into an apartment.
I feel the point of we need to be able to spy is minor at best

1 Like

allowing that at face value for a second, lets say in a modern or futuristic society, you cloak yourself and sneak around watching someone. Someone pulls out their smartphone and sends a text. From your vantage, you still are not going to be able to tell what it says unless you’ve got thephone bugged. So having a silent messaging service is really not going to deviate from what you should realistically be able to glean from your stalking. If we’re going to play in this setting, we should be true to the setting, and not handicap ourselves just because we’re used to playingt in a low tech setting. The rules change a lot when you go from a mideval fantasy setting to a sci-fi fantasy setting

And yet…it has happened, it has worked…instead of going into an apartment…why don’t you…you know…meet in person in a private location and actually…you know…Roleplay it?

Then you have never been close to people on a smartphone…as I have read text messages from a side angle, behind them, or otherwise…so it can be done…

I personally disagree with this as again, making it a bigger meme then it already is serves no purpose other then “I don’t wanna risk being caught so make everything secret for me so I don’t have to take any risks for the rewards”

Also, text messaging is NOT a Cannon thing in the Star Wars universe, they use holovids and such, not texting.

In a modern/futuristic society, why in the world would you risk meeting in person if you dont have to? Again, it comes back to being true to the setting.

And sure you can look at the texts if you’re close enough, but chances are, if you’re stalking someone, you have to stay a reasonable distance away or else you’ll tip off your quary that you’re stalking them. And then your cover’s blown anyway and they arent going to make texts around you visible to you regardless

if you can find a link proving to CANNON lore in which they use texting…please do…cause your Comm is not designed for Texting…

Star wars uses all types of communications, including text communications. Case in point, Luke had a text readout in his xwing so he could communicate with R2. There are also coded transmissions a and such. Just because you didnt see them often doesnt mean anything other than having a holo or voice transmition was simply more theatrical and dramatic than having the main character read a text message

Heres what your Comm link looks like, good luck sending or receiving texts through that btw (Courtesy of DM Pilgrim)

A datapad was a small electronic device used for inputting, storing and displaying information.

thats fine for the comlink. I’m not talking about a comlink. I’m talking about a datapad. An input/output device that can be used to interface with all types of input mediums. Including datacards and even ancient rakatan consoles. If it can do that, its not a far stretch to believe it could also use space-wifi (read holonet)

R2 was directly plugged into the X-wing, and still talked to him. R2 just displayed relevant information to the X-wing’s computer while flying.

And coded transmissions were sent from ships, to be allowed to connect via holovid or allowed to dock

(Courteously of Pilgrim)

Also they are used for “Inputting, Storing and Displaying” not anything else, so a shop clerk would use it to keep track of merchandise, not text his wife he was robbing the bank in ten.

In kotor, you use your datapad to interface with rakatan computer consoles.

Were not playing Kotor?