Tara Renathi: Unity of the Jedi

Unity of the Jedi: Fear

“See, here it is,” Lomaa, her old rodian pilot motioned to a small hill created by some jungle insects burrowing undergrond. “My people will surely be safe now,” his funnel-shaped mouth spoke the words, but without the usual buzzing voice. He sounded strangely more generic than she’d remembered. “You will bring everyone here,” he was saying. “You will save us all, you are surely a great jedi!”

Tara smiled at the affirmation from her old acquaintance. “I will go get everyone,” she said as she stood to her feet, her own voice sounding strangely muffled but echoing at the same time. “The PH factor of the soil and density of root compilation will protect us from the dark side.” Of course it would, she thought to herself as she said it. This all makes perfect sense. I know what I’m talking about and I’ll save everybody. She didn’t bother sparing a look to Lomaa as they walked back to his people’s camp, she knew he bought it. Thankfully it didn’t have to make total sense as long as they could believe it.

They were back at the camp and she was telling Lomaa’s people it was time to get ready and go. Strangely, she recognized a few of the rodians. One reminded her of Jaala, a waitress she saw often when her master would take her to eat on Coruscant. She had that same long blonde hair and fair complexion. There was also Jown, a boy she’d known at the temple, and Seela too. Puru was also there, both hers and Seela’s headtails setting them apart from the other rodians present. She went to them both and reassured them it would not be long until all those in the tribe were safely underground.

Then there was another rodian she recognized.

Gan…

Months she had spent with this man after she fell from the cliff on Viscara. They had gotten to know each other quite well in that time, and he had come to care for her. She had come to care for him too, but not in the way he’d wanted. Later, she’d wondered if she did have those feelings for him, but it would not matter, because she had made her decision to leave his little cave and return to her previous life. She did not regret that decision, because she knew where she belonged. Her place was with the order.

Or so she had thought before they kicked her out. Kicked her out?

That can’t be right.

Lomaa had called her a Jedi…Isn’t she a jedi?

Gan seemed to look dead at her. It was as if his eyed bored through to her soul.

He opened his mouth to speak, but it was her first master’s voice that came out…

“Something is…”

“…coming,” she found herself finishing the warning she’d so often heard.

Then suddenly there was a kath hound barking at her. She startled and stumbled backwards off the pier that she was now standing on, and plunged into the water, all else becoming distant. Shouting muffled through the water.

And she sank.

And sank.

All turned dark.

Her clothes drenched by the rain as she fell.

She fell forever.

Untill she didn’t, abuptly landing on the ground atop a high cliff, thunder crashing loudly all around her. Two figures fought in the darkness of the night, illuminated only by the lightning and their blue and red lightsabers.

Dread began to fill her, as the sight was all too familiar to her. She opened her mouth to yell out but her voice did not come. Again she tried to yell for her master, but only managed a strained wheezing. She tried to start running towards them, but her feet landed sluggishly. She tried harder and harder to push herself forward against the ground, forcing herself forward out of sheer stubbornness.

Verrac and Akaadi stopped their clash and turned to her.

“What are you doing here little one?” Akaadi asked him with that sinister smirk.

Her voice finally found her throat as she replied, “I won’t let you take my master from me again!” She shouted over the storm.

Akaadi just flashed that smirk at her as another bolt of lightning crashed, but it was Verrac who spoke, his expression looking sincerely confused. “But Tara, I’m not your master. You’re not a jedi.”

Suddenly the storm quieted. The words rang relentlessly in her ears, echoing in all the voices of the Viscaran Council. She looked all around her as all in the order she had met on Viscara surrounded her, telling her she was not a jedi. Even Sandra appeared before her, the redhead’s eyes blank as if staring right through her as she spoke the words. “Not a jedi.”

Tara stumbled back again as Verrac, her second master turned away from her and began to depart, and it was just the three of them again. Akaadi, still flashing that sinister grin of his at her as he raised his lightsaber one more time, and then turned and threw it at Verrac, impaling him through his back.

“Nooooooooooooo!!!”

1 year, 4 months ago (3 months after departure from Viscara)

Tara sat upright, drenched in sweat and out of breath. Her heart pounded as the image was burned still freshly in her mind of her former master dying.

She sat in her bed panting, slowly taking in where she was.

She was not on Rodia.

She was not on Viscara.

She was on Dantooine.

As her heavy breathing slowly subsided, she looked around her makeshift dwelling she had made for herself. All was silent. There were only the distant sounds of local wildlife hooting distantly in the dead of night.

Tara buried her face in her hands and began to sob. Noone had heard her tortured cry in her sleep, and noone would hear her cry now. Certainly not anyone at the jedi enclave, for she was nowhere near it. She had been turned away, the same as on Corscant. They would not even let her enter.

After all, she was no longer a jedi.

1 Like

Unity of the Jedi: Anger

Tara woke from yet another troubled dream.

She lay on her back for a minute before abruptly sitting up and grabbing at a pillow behind her and flinging it across the room.

“Okay, I get it! I’m not a jedi anymore!” she shouted into the dark of the night. “What do you want from me!”

She huffed a few times as she mulled the question over in her head, and then got up out of the bed and paced around.

Thoughts ran through her head which were far too familiar to her by now. How could they? It’s not right. I did my best. What else was I supposed to do? I didn’t do anything wrong, it was them, not me!

She stopped her pacing and leaned against the wall, banging on it with her fist before bringing her hands up to her face.

“I just don’t get it…” she confessed again to herself. She let out a momentary sob before stopping herself.

They don’t deserve my tears

The morning had finally come. Tara had avoided going back to sleep, so busied herself with odd tasks about her little makeshift home. Familiar tasks to occupy her mind and calm her emotions.

She easily lost herself in such tasks, but ultimately, there was not much to do. She could only re-dust the same shelf so many times, clean and reassemble her lightsabers so many times, tune up her prosthetic arm so many times. So when she started running out of menial tasks to do, then she would start preparing for the day. Prepping meals, laying out clothes, making a list of items she needed to procure from the local trader. At least having so little to do made it easy to keep everything clean.

Gan would probably point that out as a silver lining as he lazed about and watched her busy herself. That sounded like him for sure. Probably would have that same amused smirk too. She did find herself missing such things. Maybe not Gan specifically, though she did think about him a fair amount since going into her exile, but people in general. Interaction of some sort. Meeting with the the trader, Siua’lik, had started to become the highlight of her existence, even if it was mostly just surfacy stuff, it was nice to have someone to talk to. Occasionally, though, they they did find themselves discussing the state of things in the galaxy and she found Siua to have an interesting point of view.

“Any word from the enclave?”

Tara shook her head at the question. “They don’t have time for me.” She couldn’t help but let some bitterness slip out at the question. Siua’lik was just being polite, but that subject was a whole other can of worms with her that he probably did not want to really get into.

“Well, I remain hopeful for your sake.”

“Don’t worry about it, Siua”

The twi’lek trader dipped his head in concession, his headtails twitching slightly. “I think you will like what I have brought you today.” He motioned her over to his speeder where he had stacked a crate of supplies.

Tara, eager to move on to a different topic, followed him over and inspected the contents. There was much of what she needed there, and somethings she hadn’t asked for that he had taken the liberty of procuring. One thing caught her eye, something she was in fact in sore need of.

“Is that a sonic cleaner?”

“You have a good eye, as I have come to expect,” the trader replied.

“What do you want for it?” She couldn’t deny that her clothes were becoming harder to keep clean and in good condition. She could really use one of these.

“This is a portable unit, so it is worth more than a standard home unit. But for you my friend, I will give it to you for two hundred credits…”

“Deal.”

“…and a favor.”

Tara gave the twi a curious glance. “Did you have anything in mind?”

“Nothing as of yet, but based on some of the components you have asked for in the past, I can guess you have a certain amount of technical skills that may be useful from time to time.”

“So you want me to fix things for you?”

“Perhaps. The need does occasionally arrise. I will let you know.”

Tara nodded. “That sounds fine. I think I can use all of this.”

Headtails curl at her. “I thought as much. Standard prices for the rest.”

“Of course,” she said as she began to count out the credits. “About how long till you think you’ll be back this way?”

“It will likely be a standard week. I have a stop to make in at the Matale estate then I am due to meet with suppliers along the Hydian.”

“That will be a long trip, be safe out there. I’m hearing things are starting to heat up.”

“I am hearing the same, but life must go on.”

Tara mulled over his comment and nodded, “Of course.”

Life must go on…if only it were that easy.

1 Like

Unity of the Jedi: Resignation

“I have something for you to look at,” Siua’lik said in his usual aloof manner as he offered her some obscure device.

Tara took the item from the green-skinned trader and gave it a look over. “Is this a power regulator from a speeder? I thought they started building these into the autoclutch.”

“I would not know, but this is from an older model. The one who owns this has a like for antiques. Do you think you can fix it?”

She looked more closely but couldn’t spot anything wrong with the device, other than being old. “What’s the issue? Too much power, not enough, or no control?”

“No power at all.”

“And your client is sure the problem is in this?”

“The owner is fairly certain, yes.”

Tara eyed the component thoughtfully for a moment before giving a nod. “I believe I can. If it’s a total failure, then the problem should be easy to find when I take it apart. I should be able to have it for you by the next time you stop by, or at least let you know what I need to fix it.”

The trader’s lekku twitched slightly in approval. “I will be back in four hours, this will be enough time?”

Tara blinked in surprise. Normally Siua came about once a week, occasionally twice, but never twice in the same day. She looked to the item in her hand curiously. “They want this back that quickly?”

“The owner can be quite eccentric at times, yes. Is this achievable?”

“It should be. I don’t have anything else pressing to do here,” she said with some annoyance.

The twi’lek regarded her thoughtfully for a long moment.

“The enclave still has not given you audience?”

“No…still not.” The disapproval and frustration was impossible to miss in her voice.

“I see.” He seemed to consider her situation for a bit.

“This report you attempted to give to them should have been quite alarming, yes? Things being run badly where you came from?”

“Very.”

“Surely, they must have read it by now. You have been here for months.”

Tara’s jaw clenched as he spoke, her expression ironclad in a thin-lipped frown. His questions were mirroring her own thoughts. “You would think, but here I sit. Waiting. For all I know, they binned it the moment they saw it was from me.”

“They dislike you that much?”

“Well…no…” The question seemed to take her slightly off guard. “I don’t think so…but if they do, it would be because the Viscaran council fed them this bantha poodoo about me being insubordinate or whatever…was it insubordinate to try and save someone from getting themselves killed? Or helping an initiate make sure they paired with a master that is right for them?”

Siua’lik frowned as he listened to her, but it soon passed and he regarded her with some concern. “I am sorry that I cannot provide you the answers to these questions, serious as they are.”

Tara let out a heavy sigh, though her anger was still readable on her face. “Maybe I’m just wasting my time here.”

“What do you mean,” he asked.

She pondered for a minute and finally looked up to the closest thing she had for a friend. “I don’t suppose you could use a copilot on your trips?”

“I do not…” he seemed to consider. “Would you truly be satisfied with a trader’s life after all you have seen and done?”

“I suppose not.” She kicked at the dirt beneath her feet then looked over the hilly plains spanning out towards a rock face in the distance.

“What will you do,” he pressed.

“I don’t know!” Tara snapped back at him. “I can’t be a jedi if they won’t even listen to me. And if I can’t be a jedi, then I can’t stay here. And I can’t just go settle in some cave somewhere with some poet and make babies! I had a purpose before! I had a destiny! I was supposed to stand for hope and justice for those who needed it, but how can I do that if they wont let me?”

His headtails flicked curiously at some of the specifics, but he seemed to dismiss it as a tangent. “You had a purpose? Your master told you this?”

She let out another heavy sigh. “Not so much as told me, no, this didn’t come from them…this is something that I felt myself.”

“You felt it yourself?” He repeated as if wanting clarification.

“Yes, I was raised in the order and it was all I knew for a long time, and eventually I did my own soul searching, at the end of which I knew what I wanted for my life, and I could feel in the force that the Jedi Order was the right place for me, the kind of life I was ready for, the place that I knew that I belonged.”

“You felt this purpose yourself.” He stated rather than asked.

“Yes,” she replied tensely.

“And do you still feel this purpose?”

“I…” she hesitated, closing her eyes a moment before opening them again. “Yes.” Even now, the feeling was unmistakable. Through everything that happened, that was the one thing she knew for certain. She knew where she should be and what she should be doing, and in that moment, her anger to turned to determination.

Lost in her thoughts, she had not noticed Siua close with her and she suddenly felt his hand on her shoulder while the other gently took the power regulator from her.

Something was not as it seemed. It was as if she had gained a small measure of peace, and in that peace was able to tell something was off.

Tara looked to Siua’lik, and his eyes conveyed nothing but compassion, and a certain serenity that she had not noticed before.

“You were able to see this when you turned inward,” he was still talking about her feeling her purpose. “I know you have questions and seek answers, but I cannot give them to you. You must once again look inward. Only you can provide the answers you seek. And in so doing, find the path to returning to your purpose.”

He withdrew his hand from her shoulder, and added, “With peace, comes true knowledge.”

With peace comes true knowledge.

With peace comes true knowledge… She had heard that phrase many times before. A phrase that one person had drilled into her over and over as a teenager. A person who was now gone.

Tara searched those grey serene eyes.

“You are no trader…”

“I am not,” he confirmed softly. “I am a jedi.”

In a flash, every single interaction she’d had with him replayed itself in her mind’s eye. Everything she had said to him, every comment she had made to garner sympathy from a simple trader, every jab at the order, every indignancy, every insult, every outburst, it all layed bare between them, and suddenly, she felt very small. So very very small.

2 Likes