The benefits of adding a hunger system

I know a lot of you are going to immediately cringe when you think of having to eat in game, but I for one find it very immersive, especially in a roleplaying atmosphere. I think it’s good that we have the freedom to roleplay how we want, but I think that having some backbone to the world that we all have to forcefully adhere to gives us all the same conflicts to overcome in our own unique way, and having a hunger system opens up a whole world of not just conflict, but opportunities and enjoyment.

I put together a short list of how it should be made so that it’s less of a chore and more of a mechanic that is interesting to play around with.

-starving cannot kill you

-6 hunger states: Starving, famished, hungry, fine, sated, stuffed

-food gives small longterm buffs but only high quality food. food bought from NPCs like hotdogs would simply only restore hunger points.

-you suffer around negative 10-15% movespeed (and/or some other debuff, like -2 to all attributes) when you are starving, and -5 to -10% movespeed when you are stuffed (overeaten)

-stuffed would only last for 15 minutes from full hunger points, then sated lasts for 45 minutes, fine lasts for 1 hour, hungry lasts for 1 hour, famished lasts for 2 hours, and finally starving would simply last indefinitely. so it would take roughly 4-5 hours real time to start starving from being well fed. this could be extended even further if players find it to be too quick, but for me I don’t have 8 hours a day to play so 4 hours feels like a lot of time to me, but I can see these values being doubled in length and I’d be fine with that.

• it could be scaled however you want to do it but the idea is that a small food item would heal lets say 10 hunger points, where 100 is your max hunger points. a big steak dinner that gives an hour long bonus of +10 hp, or simply +2 con, would heal you maybe 50 points. you would start to get hungry at lets say less than 50 total hunger points, so if you were “starving” and you ate such a meal you would be “fine” but still have room to eat more before you are stuffed. hotdogs could heal 10 so you’d only have to stop at a vendor every few hours or so to refill your hunger.

-VERY IMPORTANT: buffs would only be obtainable from food if you are hungry or less when you eat them, so only when you are below a certain threshold of hunger points. This way an hour long buff will wear off before you are hungry again, and you won’t be able to simply restore the buff right away when it wears off. this would eliminate of lot of players feeling the need to eat a sandwich before every fight.

Stuffed is there to also prevent players from waiting until as soon as they get hungry to immediately eat a big meal that gives a buff and puts them to full hunger. you could still do it, but you would suffer movement speed penalty for a short time so it would be a trade off for meta gaming. no one likes reduced movement speed, but it’s not something that will gimp your character for long enough if you go one single hunger point above sated, as it should only take a minute or so to wear off, as stuffed should be intended to wear off quickly (15 minutes at max, as opposed to 1-2 hours).

I know some of you would rather just choose when to roleplay eating and not actually have a real mechanic in place, but having it introduced as real would solidify it in the world and add actual tangible benefits and consequences to our roleplay. It’s cool and all to emote that you are munching down on some crackers, but at the end of the day, those crackers in your inventory will never disappear, you will never get nutrition out of it, there is no consequences for neglecting your characters primal instinct to consume food, and most people are simply not going to take the time to roleplay having to eat unless it is a mechanic that has real ingame meaning to it. even then, it’s ok if they don’t go heavy on the roleplay, as long as they are aware of the benefits and consequences to eating or not eating, they will ultimately include it in their roleplay to some degree, and that is healthy for the server. There needs to be a wide variety of ways for characters to express themselves and food is surprisingly good at allowing little details in peoples character to come out.

I’ve discussed this on discord with some of you already so I already know I’m going to get bullied away and told that all hunger systems are more tedious than they are fun, but I honestly beg to differ and I would like to know if at least one other person on this server agrees with me on this, otherwise I may as well make this my farewell goodbye.

Last i check i did not play SIMs …what next, hygine bar for shower because imersion and atmsphere or we can take -8 CHA because logic ?

Personally i am not logging on to fetch water and food and then have to click a item mandatory every 30-45 min to fill a bar or i risk walking slower or get stat decreases. That a big nope from me. I do get your point but forcing these mechanic in is not helpful.

edited: honest most server i seen with food and water, it not even rped well. it mid conversation someone take out a ration and chump with no text because they need to do it 3 times to fill the bar.

Hard pass. I like the one before me, I am not playing a simulationist game. I am here to roleplay.

Takes a sip of my trusty Vault 14 canteen.

I’m sorry this is a deal breaker for you, but I think most people do not want more simulationist elements added to this server. I think there are other ways being discussed to make food useful instead of essential.

While i like realism/immersive elements, theres a line to draw when it comes to turning something into a roleplay game to a hardcore immersive sim, and some of the things in the suggestion reflect that.

A “hunger system” is bad to me, but if we just say “food mechanics” as a more broad term, there are benefits to making food consumables and giving the ability to cook them up in-game without the need of a “hunger system” attached to them…

I just dont think its worth the time to implement it vs other more interesting things that would add a lot more rp value and content that is arguably more enjoyable.

On the previous RP server where I was, there is a hunger / thirst system.
It was mostly an hinderance than a benefit, having to eat mid-event or even mid-combat.

I don’t think it fit here.

Im the same as @Lamarr13 on this. I think its something most people here don’t care for.

Only if it becomes a zombie survival server too.

2 Likes

if I don’t have yellow text barking at me every fifteen minutes to drink a cup of blue milk then I might as well not play tbh

Sure, but not like this. I like the idea of food buffs, and it would be something feasible to do with cooking crafting in revamp if it get’s implemented. Debuffs, notifications, and bars to fill are going be unpopular for a reason and I agree with the sentiment that it would be an unimmersive annoyance at best.

I’ve played on servers that handle food and thirst systems. It did not add anything productive to the server and in my opinion broke immersion rather than added to it by requiring you to fill up the meter every so often when you’re in the middle of RPing.

The only time I think a food/water meter should be a thing is in very specific circumstances. I spoke about it in the Discord the other day but I think if you were to head out into the Dune Seas it would make sense that you would be flagged with a temporary system that is only active while in the dune seas that requires you to have water to survive long treks.

But even then that is a temporary system for one location ideally, probably not even worth the time it would take to develop it.

I agree with the other’s sentiment that foodstuffs should provide some sort of benefit rather than being a requirement.

Honestly, I personally believe that eating and drinking should be optional rp, I have had several RP dinners, meals, snacks and more with friends and that added 1,00,000,000x more RP, then any mechanical system ever has. I would never want it enforced.

This idea has been brough up in the past and if cooking ever is added i think a system could be put in place, but it will only give benefits for eating, never a detriment so that way its nothing something you have to upkeep but something you can upkeep for benefits. I think it would be the best way to do it as well.

1 Like

I’m in favor of a food system which grants you long term buffs versus a system which requires you to eat. I used to run a bunch of different Zombie Survival servers in NWN. On those servers, eating was required or else your character would permanently die. Even so, at a certain point food became less of a concern (even with it periodically spoiling) until it became another meter you had to watch. I personally don’t think our existing server complements this type of mechanic so I feel it wouldn’t be fun.

I think hunger is a good mechanic for a survival simulation or a more “hard core” server. But that’s not the vision I have for SWLOR. Food and eating certainly has a place, but more as a buff than a requirement.

I’ve mentioned this on Discord a few times, but I would see Cooking, Farming, Fishing, etc existing underneath a single “Agriculture” skill with multiple perk lines. This is something I feel strongly about implementing but it won’t be until after the initial release of the revamp project.

That sounds lovely and in-line with most of the player-base, thank you for touching this topic publically