The Ele 'F' ant in the Room - Curse Words and Swearing

I hate to be that guy but I’ve noticed a trend with players in the game making very frequent use of certain expletives, particularly ones that start with the letter “F”, starting back to day one as soon as I started playing on this server.

I realize in the rules, cursing and swearing is allowed, but that should only apply in an OOC environment and really has no place in an in-game/in-character setting, even under extreme circumstances, especially in a Star Wars setting.

Not once in official lore or canon, or even legends, has any character used an expletive with that specific combination of letters combined:

Kylo-Ren didn’t command his forces to shoot that ####ing ship out of the air.

Luke Skywalker when he saw Yoda raise his x-wing out of the swamp of Dagobah didn’t say “What the ####?”

Darth Vader didn’t scream out ####!!! when he was given news that Padme Amidala died.

I realize this is because the shows and movies are intended to be for a general audience, but cursing and swear words do exist in Star Wars canon, but not in the form that is being expressed frequently within the server.

Usage of such words are not only uncreative and not conducive to an immersive roleplaying experience or great story telling, but they also turn off a wide variety of roleplayers, particularly those who might be seeking a more authentic Star Wars experience. Not even criminals or the most evil of dark lords in the Star Wars Galaxy make use of such language, so seeing jedi or padawans in training making open use of such words is extremely odd and distracting.

Suggestions or Solutions

Instead of making regular use of such words, please involve yourself with the world further and enrich the experience by using actual terms and phrases used in Star Wars canon.

It not only keeps things authentic in-game and in-character, it prevents OOC influences or feelings from seeping into the game, and by promotes better RP by example.

If it becomes even more of a problem, I would suggest perhaps enacting a filter that will change said expletive into a random one instead.

Thank you.

*EDIT: This post wasn’t intended to be a ‘language policing’ type post but more of a “Really?” As the server and playerbase grows, I’m honestly just suggesting to be a little more mindful and maybe at least try to help cultivate a fun and creative immersive experience with the vocabulary. Yes, you can just ‘ignore it’ and move on, but playing and seeing f-bombs thrown around every time is still incredibly distracting and immersion breaking.

2 Likes

Sorry am I really going to be language-policed on the server where a DM once used the phrase “plasma enema” IC?

3 Likes

I can understand the dislike it, but overall I think it’s something that if you don’t want to do - don’t do it - and if people do it just ignore it.

I would rather have things more important be focused on than having to see the team here be the language police. Sometimes you just have to use your suspension of disbelief.

Not to sound elitist, but I think RP quality goes a lot further than just choice of expletives. If this is happening because people are going on autopilot, they risk wandering carelessly into self-insert territory, which is against the spirit of RP.

I don’t support a language filter or anything but I do support people reading or watching the source material to get a general understanding of the atmosphere before trying to make it feel like something it’s not supposed to be - watering it down into generic syfy or crossing genres inappropriately.
edit* Keyword trying - there’s honest mistakes, then there’s thinking Star Wars would be better off as an R-rated High School Musical

5 Likes

I get what you’re saying…to an extent. Expletives aren’t common in the established lore mostly due to writers’ decisions and marketing (hard to market a product to kids primarily if the content’s got an R or NC-17 rating)

That being said, occasional use of expletives doesn’t really diminish RP quality in most circumstances. Excessive use might, but no one I’ve encountered so far has used them excessively.

2 Likes

I understand your concern, but it is easy to “react” type. The typical WTF is a surprise reaction and is often quickly typed without much thought in it. As someone that plays a Chiss very often, the word Ktah, which is Chiss for F*** or Sh**, swear words do exist in established cannon, but also consider were real players, not movie actors that were limited by scripts that had to get green lit by producers that had to mind the very strict limitations placed on cinema to keep it for younger audiences. That said, I try not to swear, but I will say I have several times out of sheer reaction to things. DMs have seriously got better things to do then police players slipping an F bomb here or there, but if it is REALLY bad…screenshot and report and the DM team will look into it and remind the player to tone it down, and by bad…6 or 7 F*** in the same sentence…yeah that’s likely overkill and the DMs will likely be glad to poke them and ask them to try and mind how often they are using it.

3 Likes