Umgi Suk - Professional Ugnaught

Species: Ugnaught
Height: 4’10
Skin Color: Tanned Pink
Hair Color: Grey
Eye Color: Blue
Birthplace: Corellia
Theme Song: Johnny Paycheck - Take This Job And Shove It (Audio) - YouTube

CLANG! CLANG! CLANG! Rang in his ears as he beat a metal plate into shape over a planishing stake, couging gruffly into the back of his heavy leather glove as he looked over his shoulder, a gargantuan pot of molten steel pouring into huge molds below. The factory floor was dark, basked in a warm, homely red glow as the Ugnaught craftsman wiped his brow off and continued beating plates until the end of his shift.

He made his way down a narrow corridor alongside the rest of his work detail, a young human skipping along at his side and making small talk.

"Hey, it’s Umgi, right? I was wondering if you had some time to help me out with this qualification I’m studying for a promotion."

Umgi responded with a nasally grunt. "What do you study?"

"I’m trying to get my Level 3 Sheet Metal Fabrication certificate so I can work on the factory floor instead of in smelting."

"Smelting is a good job, much to learn there about metal."

"I guess? But I’ll be making an extra four hundred credits a week if I get this new job."

"I will not assist you."

They reached the front desk and Umgi punched out his card and walked over to the receptionist, peeking over the desk and slapping a bell to get her attention. The human beside him clocked out and lingered a spell.

"What the kriff, man? Why not?"

"I have spoken."

The blonde lady that manned the front desk strode over, spotted Umgi and tutted softly to herself, going to grab an envelope from a pigeon hole and present it to him, speaking in a particularly nasally accent.

"There ya go, babe, enjoy~"

Umgi took the envelope and offered the lovely receptionist a brief nod and a grunt, turning to leave as the human left alongside him.

"You’re a real arse, Umgi, you know that? I’ll just ask Chet to help me instead, no big deal, ain’t like you’re that good."

The young man blew him off with a rude gesture, barely acknowledged by the Ugnaught as he began to waddle home, making his way to the mass transit hub on the outskirts of the industrial district, boarding a shuttle into Coronet City, home.

He hustled through the slightly dirty streets of Old Town, stopping only to buy some mushrooms from a local street vendor before darting up a side street, along an alleyway and up to the front door of his little abode, unlocking it and going inside. The darkness greeted him as he walked into the kitchen and dumped his dinner on the counter, going to take a seat at his breakfast bar as he slid the letter out of his pocket, unfolding the envelope and taking a look at it. The company seal held it down, in wax, the paper was of a high quality, lightly embossed. He slipped a nail into a gap and tore the top off it, slipping the letter inside out and taking a look over it.

"Dear Umgi Suk,

The management of the CorellianWorks Fabrication Plant wish to thank and congratulate you for sixty years of service. There really are no words that we can find to express our deep gratitude for your continued loyalty over the years and all of the hard work and dedication you have shown to the company.

As a gesture of goodwill and thanks for your prestigious service we have authorized you to receive one (1) additional day of paid holiday leave annually.

We hope that you will appreciate this bonus and we look forward to many more years working with you.

Yours sincerely,
Management."

He fingered the paper in his stubby digits as he read it over a few times, just to make sure he had not missed anything. Another ten years of his life and they reward him with a single day. He slammed the letter into the table with a grunted snort of annoyance, going to prepare his dinner. A mushroom stew of some sort, simple and nutritious. Cheap. The young human was so desperate to get that promotion for more credits, how futile, he couldn’t help but think.

As he sat in his living room and watched the news on the holo an advertisement came on looking for colonists to settle planets in the war torn Outer Rim, a host of destinations and descriptions flashing up in front of his eyes as he shoveled boiled mushrooms down his gullet. At once, something seemed to snap in him, an advert for a planet called Viscara. Czerka Corporation operated but with colonists afforded the autonomy to grow and develop the planet themselves. True freedom. No more bosses, no more shifts, no more extra shifts, no more covering for the humans while they all went down the Mynock’s Haven. He slammed his near empty bowl down and went to retrieve his datapad and make the travel arrangements, using the little nest egg he had managed to scrape together over the years to pay for it.

With his tickets bought and a bag packed he looked back into his apartment, gazing around the dingy, cave-like home he had made for himself these last sixty years, before turning his back on it abruptly and leaving, locking the door behind him.

Approved! Keep up the hustle.

1 Like