Callista and Sandra: Bloody Descendant

Bloody Descendant: Chapter 1

Family. The Jedi Order discourages attachment, and family is the first attachment there is. From when your born, to being raised, and the eventual nest leaving, you’re connected till the end. This can mean a kind of leverage you would never allow any other person, and someone with the power to leverage a Jedi is troublesome.

Like Spies, they tend to avoid their family as there is usually a lot of emotional context and deeper issues that push one to become used. Family also gives easy access to blackmail or even hostage situations. A Jedi with a family emotional tie, or even a spy, would do almost anything to save said family.

------------------------------

Sandra wakes up from her rest and looks around her room. The empty ship often makes thinking easier after a shower. And the shower was certainly refreshing after the long day before, but she makes her way to the datapad filled remains to open her comms. She sighs pleasantly at the idea of hearing the voice she expects to encounter next…

“…Callista? Are you there?”

It takes only the briefest of moments before the gentle lull of Callista’s soft voice breathes a reply through the comm channel, the smooth notes carrying with them a hint of quiet delight.

“Sandra, yes! I’m here. I just finished up some things with Rowler…” a short pause, laden with anticipation. “…Is it time?”

Sandra fiddles with some hair subconsciously

“Yes, are you prepared for the trip? Bring whatever you need and we will leave for Coruscant’s Jedi Temple. Ship is open for you and…let’s make this a fun trip, yes?”

An exhalation of excitement can be heard through the comm, and some quick shuffling and rustling.

“Right! Yes! I’m grabbing everything right now. I’ll be there, just few minutes!”

The link closes, but Sandra can still feel the rush, the determination that emanated from Callista’s voice, the young Padawan no doubt scurrying through her home not even thirty meters away to gather up everything and make her way over.

Sandra giggles softly and awaits her with a suppressed eagerness. She makes ship preparations before Callista arrives and has it already running. She’s typing in coordinates by the time Callista arrives. She looks to the hatch opening. Callista bursts through the opening hatch and leaps up into the ship in a burst of speed spurred on by no aid from the Force, but pure youthful exuberance.

“I’m here! Huhhfh, sorry I’m late! Huffh, huhh…I brought extra clothes…uh, toothbrush, toothpaste, snacks, uhhh…” she rifles through the spacer’s duffel she carries with her, checking for what Sandra is sure must be the eleventh time or more that everything is there that she intends to bring.

Sandra giggles and nods.

“Put your things in the room and join me in the co-pilot seat, silly.”

A vigorous shake of her head to refocus herself frazzles the young woman’s blonde locks in a cute mess, and she quickly hurries over to stow her things in one of the ship bedrooms before then scampering up into the cockpit.

“Alright, yes, great, flying time! We’re going…we’re really going…!”
Callista laughs softly as she slips into the co-pilot seat beside Sandra and running a hand briefly through her hair to regain some semblance of order there.
“Phoo…okay…I’m ready. How many jumps will this take?”

Sandra smiles warmly at the cute mess for a moment before speaking. Her legs cross as she retains her elegant and polite demeanor.

“We will be making two jumps. It should take no more than a few hours and I have to send some stats to docking so that we don’t end up smashing into anyone. Coruscant airspace is…hectic. We will jump out a few from the planet so I can show it to you for a moment, hehe…”

“Alright…okay. Just let me know what I need to do.”

Callista throws a smile Sandra’s way and nods, taking a steadying breath and looking over the controls. She is familiar enough with Sandra’s ship by now to have decent competence with the systems, and so setting up all preparations for take-off is a breeze.

“We’re going to take it easy. I have a lot of auto piloting features in relation to Coruscant, so there’s no distracting your excitement, hehe.”

Sandra shrugs innocently

“I guess you’ll just have to be unentertained for the next 4 hours. Oh well…~”

“…There’s always board games?” Callista gives a cheeky grin, leaning back in the chair as the ship lifts off through Viscara’s atmosphere and the first jump initiates.

“Brought one with you…?”

Sandra smirks a bit and studies the hyperactive lass. The blonde Padawan, though only a year or so Sandra’s junior, is filled with the youthful, childlike hopefulness of a girl several years younger than she actually is, almost like she is making up for lost time.

“A couple…” she glances back through the cockpit briefly.
“I have a sabacc deck, and…uh…ever played Shah-tezh?”

Sandra blinks and giggles before they go off to attempt both of these games on the table, having pushed aside any datapads and tech there to one side. Though, Sandra playfully cheats at moments where she can slip a moment or two in to tease Callista with. Callista’s own playfulness draws some out of Sandra as she giggles and laughs several times and ever has some moments of playful ranting.

Callista proves a surprisingly formidable player at the chess-like Shah-tezh, speaking to experience and craftiness that Sandra may not have expected from her for such a tactical, analytical game — barely even seeming to think about most of her moves and yet still making them with remarkable competence. She seems to derive no joy from the game itself, but instead purely from the time it grants her with Sandra, reveling in the playful moments and the teasing.

The ship delivers a series of beeps as they begin their approach. The pair make way, one more eagerly that another, to their seats and soon the vortex of hyperspace before them exits into a wondrous scene of brightness, expanse, and a largest representative of the MegaCity concept…Coruscant.

Callista stares at the planet through the viewport, eyes shining and reflecting the lights of the glittering ecumenopolis ahead. Flaring waves of all manner of colors wax and wane around the densely populated orb.

“So this is Coruscant…I never got to see it like this. To think it’s all one city…!”

Sandra blows some hair aside and nods.

“Yes, this is the planet wide metropolis. I grew up here in the Jedi Temple. If there was someplace I might consider a home, this might be it. We’ll take a fly over the city scape and move to the Temple. Do some showing off, hehe!”

She takes the ship in and shows Callista the world. Shining shimmering splendid. Callista watches the cityscape zoom by in awe, the spectacle surpassing all her expectations and the images she’d seen on the HoloNet. Every cluster of shining towers and colossal architecture is a new wonder.

“Wow! It’s so much brighter and nicer than Nar Shaddaa…not that I got to see much there, but still…!”

Callista grins brightly, filled with anticipation at what’s to come. Sandra describes some of the more visible landmarks and places of intrigue as they passover the various buildings. This comes to a sudden stop as soon as the Jedi Temple’s pillars come into view, slowly turning into the legendary structure many have come to recognize

“…The Jedi Temple.”

Sandra says these words gently to Callista

“…Woah…!”
Callista breathes in amazement at the sight of the massive construct that is the Temple. Her eyes dart around from point to point, both examining every detail she can see and gawking at the breathtaking scope of the flowing Force surrounding and penetrating the entire structure.

“It’s huuuge…! Those towers…like the four pillars, right? And then a…fifth one in the middle, less metaphorical I guess…just…ohgosh I can’t believe I’m actually here, in person…! This is where my parents grew up…!”

Sandra smiles warmly to Callista and explains

“The Tower of First Knowledge, the Reassignment Council Tower, the High Council Tower, and the Tower of Reconciliation surround the Temple Spire atop the Jedi Temple on Coruscant. Each tower housed one of the four councils that oversee the Jedi Order’s affairs. The Jedi Archives, where we want to go, is in the Temple. It is essentially a library of sorts for the Jedi. Information stems from here.”

They make their way to one of the Order’s docks

“While even I don’t have access to everything, I have enough to look up former Jedi. You have a name and everything, so finding information shouldn’t be any sort of random. Ready to see the interior…?”

“Yes! Yes, I’m so ready! Oh, uuhhh, I should fix my hair! I have to show my Padawan braid, right?”

Callista takes a quick breath, standing up as they land. She reaches a hand back over her right ear and pulls the narrow braid of hair from its tucked back place. Quickly, she dashes her fingers through her hair in a rushed, makeshift brushing to straighten herself out, then hurriedly pats and smooths her robes out.
“Gotta look good for my first time at the Temple…!”

Sandra can’t help but laugh. The sweetness was almost palpable and made her own heart skip a beat, though not literally, and she comes over to help her get, at least, visually ready for the visit. Sandra herself wears her own robes to show her own respect for the temple and its narrative. Once the two are confirmed as Jedi, they are allowed access proper.

The pair get out of the ship at the temple’s dock and two temple guards clack their metal staffs on the ground as a greeting. Inside the temple though…is the sight. Jedi all over, walking, and talking, and debating all around shows how engaged they are to their own learning and lifetime dedication

“Welcome, Callista. What do you think so far…?”

“It’s…amazing…! So many Jedi all in one place!”

Callista gasps and walks slowly with occasional spins and twirls as she tries to take in as much as possible. Her limbs move with a hyperactive quickness and her face wears a delight not quite befitting a serene Jedi, earning her more than a few puzzled glances from others passing by. Eventually she seems to notice this, prompting her to blush with embarrassment and rein herself in with a sheepish smile and a nervous wave to a stern-looking, but amused Ithorian Master. Even with her excitement suppressed for the moment, her eyes wander in barely-contained curiosity.

“I wonder if any of these people know my mom and dad…?”

The amusement of watching Callista enjoy her time is well. Her embarrassment brings a soft laughs to Sandra.

"You can always ask them, one by one by one…*
Sandra teases Callista’s notion

Meanwhile as they walk, they pass by the Youngling training room where a dozen small humanoids are listening to a lecture. Callista slows a moment as they pass, gazing in on the lesson for a few moments with a smile before hurrying to catch up with Sandra.

“Sorry, this is just so…cool! I used to hear stories about this place, and now seeing it myself…?”

“To me, this place is a wonder of creation that merges nature and architecture in a way most would never imagine. There is a room I wish to show you. The Room of a Thousand Fountains. I am sure then you will be utterly in awe. Then I can truly ask you again about what you think.”

“The Room of a…!” Callista’s eyes widen with sparkling glee.
“You and Beryn have told me about it before! Yes, yes please I’d love to see it!”

“I dunno…”
Sandra turns away and smirks, taunting a bit

“Wha-hey! Hey! No! Show me!” Callista raises her shoulders. “You promised!”

Sandra peeks back and nonchalantly waves back in play
“I suppose I can do so.”

After a moment of jest, they walk past a few tables and Jedi who politely nods and are nodded in turn. Finally, they come to a multi leveled room that opens up into a sight no one could have ever imagined would exist in a MegaCity. This demonstration of nature, construction, elegance, and wonderful hues is more than a sight to see, but one of sight, sound, touch, taste of air, and audible pleasantries. Jedi wander these natural walkways, stone paths, high rise bridges, and meditate in various spots.

For the first time since arriving on the planet, Callista goes from overjoyed wonder to sublime speechlessness. She wanders forward through the gardens and around the ponds, past trees and plantlife the likes of which she’s never seen, falls and fountains of unparalleled tranquil beauty. Her attention is utterly captivated, not only by the sights and sounds and scents, but the metaphysical presence humming and whispering through the entire vast chamber. Liquid ripples and streams of peaceful cyan and lively forest green, an all-encompassing aurora of calming, yet scintillating brilliance.

All the energetic jubilation has melted away to a more pure expression of quiet, harmonious reverence. Callista is quiet for a time, lost in a trance of exploration and veneration.

*A trio of Jedi walk up and a young Jedi speaks in a soft and pleasant tone. He is slightly taller than the pair with soft black hair, tanned skin, and a Padawan braid. The pair behind him is a younger black haired woman with soft green eyes and the next is a Trandosian with dark and gray tones. The main one bows to them and asks. *

“Greetings, I am Padawan Daruk. the two are Julie and Morr. Would you care to join us for Meditation by the waterfall?”

Sandra looks to Callista for her response first.
Callista blinks, caught off-guard for a moment.

“I…uh, yes! I’d love to, er…if that’s okay?”

Callista turns to Sandra a moment for confirmation.
Sandra smiles a bit and nods

“Go on, enjoy some Jedi interaction for a while. I will tend a…minor thing. Call me when you are ready for the Archives, mm?”

Callista’s face brightens with warm gratitude and she nods, giving a bow.

“Thank you, Master Mana! I won’t be too long, I promise.”

With a flash of a smile, she turns to the other three Jedi and steps towards them to join in meditation.

“I’d be glad to join you. I’m Padawan Callista, visiting from Viscara…”

The meditation in such a place feels so different than on Viscara or Mon Cal. There is a purity here. A sense of being in touch with the universe is mind opening. The Jedi together share in their energy and together find a calm and focus that was certainly unexpected. The sounds of the waterfall echos in the universe as a wave of gentle resonance as a metronome is to a pianist.

For a time, Callista loses herself to the sublime serenity of the sacred place. The world around her fades away, opening her to the Force in a way unlike she has ever felt before. The hushed white noise of the falls, the subtle breaths and flows of the life surrounding her, even the tactile sensation of her knees on the ground, her robes on her skin, all coalesce together into a stillness and awareness that surpasses anything she has known before. Everything is subsumed and bound together by a singular, pulsing thread, a binding unification that is the Living Force. It is color without pigment, texture without surface. At the edges of her mind, Callista imagines that perhaps she can hear the music described to her by her master Beryn. Notes and song produced by a vibration beyond mortal perception.

And there, underneath it all, the layer beneath - the Unifying Force. The Cosmic Force. The fabric binding the galaxy itself together, clearer now than it ever was on Altapin, on Viscara, in any starship. For what feels like just an instant, it is as though the very symphony and tapestry of creation itself is laid out before her, the blueprints of everything, throwing wide open a door in her mind she never knew was closed.

Then, at the apex of it all, a flash of blonde hair and loving hazel blue eyes…and a voice.

“Callista…”

Her eyes drift open again, and for a few moments she sits in silence, physical perception returning to her gradually. She remembers to breathe eventually, and lifts a hand to cradle her forehead, struggling to comprehend the harmony she had just experienced. Her eyes turn to the other Padawans around her, still peacefully in their meditation.
Slowly, she stands up and makes herself as quiet as possible as she pads away from them and checks her chrono…it had been over two and a half hours since Sandra left her there. Appalled at how much time she had lost track of, she hurries away and pings Sanda’s comm.

“Sandra? Er, Master Mana? I’m ready now…I’m sorry I took so long…”

Meanwhile…

Sandra, during the time had visited her old room. Of course, occupied by a new student, but it was pleasant to just see the room door. She walks around and has minor chats with some people she knew. Otherwise, it just felt pleasant to be in the temple and experience her first and true home. When her comms goes off, she hardly noticed the time went by and responds.

“Hello, Callista… did you enjoy your meditation?”

“I did, it was…enlightening! I’ve never been anywhere so completely peaceful before. Do you think I could come here on my own sometimes? Or would I need to have a Knight with me?”

“You may come visit on your own. As a Padawan, you are an official member of the Order. I would ask Beryn for proper behavioral methods in the Temple. I can get some behavioral information from the archives too. Let’s head to the archive and pick up some information for you…any questions?”

“…Not right now. I’ll come find you…”

Callista wanders out of the self-contained paradise of the Room of a Thousand Fountains and back into the halls, peering around to look for Sandra. It’s fairly easy to get lost in this city of a temple. She encounters several rooms where students are learning, duels are being had, and students are physically working out. She finally walks into a round chamber where Sandra is standing after 20 mins of being semi-lost. Callista smiles and walks over to the redheaded Knight, raising a hand in a greeting wave.

“Hey. Sorry, got a little lost…”

She giggles softly and motions to the doorway

“I am glad you got to see more of the area. Inside is the Jedi archives where various mountains of data exist in regard to various Jedi Artes, activities, lifestyles, and so on. You may be surprised by its size in a moment…”

And so, she opens for Callista and many Jedi wander the halls as if college students are studying and doing homework.

“Woah…”
Callista gapes for the dozenth time since they arrived, staring down the cascading aisles of glittering blue data tapes, holo books, and other stores of information, too much to even fully appreciate at a glance.
“Where do we even start…?”

“There are access terminals along tables and on external panels between each section. Jedi names and such are in a back section. If the Jedi was exiled or left the order, I use my own Shadow access to look at these. I am sure I was blocked from the stuff I personally want to research, but this is no problem compared to that. Over here…”

They walk to the back of the last two rows on the bottom floor and they approach a series of blue lights with some black tiles. Sandra opens a tablet on the wall of the bookcase and types in some information. Some of the black tiles change to Blue. Callista follows along and watches Sandra’s process closely, in the hopes of being able to replicate it later.

“So do we just search their names, or…?”

“Actually, yes. As simple as it sounds, a name holds more power than you can imagine. It is why I use a code name on missions or in private files to the Jedi that need particular encryption. While they don’t like that i do it, some of the Jedi like Master Nulaa and Keyan understand. I am always thankful for them. Here…type in her name.”

“…Mom…”

Callista mutters quietly, heart pounding with a sudden sense of how very real this moment has become. Her fingers hover over the keypad a moment, trembling…then they slowly type out the name onto the screen.

Kelia Adrianna Selkin

The data takes some time. It cycles for about 5 minutes before coming back.

Kelia Adrianna Selkin
Jedi Status: Self Resignation
Jedi Rank: Jedi Knight
Last Known Local: On Route to Dantooine

goes into default notions then such as her training and former Masters
Sandra looks as it comes up and keeps mental notes

“…Dantooine…en route to Dantooine!”

Callista’s eyes widen, her face breaking into a smile, and she turns to Sandra, latching onto her arm. Her normally soft, understated voice finally picks up into a louder, more energetic plea.

“We can check there! There’s…there’s another Jedi outpost there, right? If she’s not there now, or when we get there, they might have seen her? Maybe my dad’s with her…m-my brother and sister! We should go! Please?”

“Mm…anything else you would like to look while we are here?”

“…Oh! My dad, too! And…maybe I could get copies of data on more saber forms? Just for later?”

Callista’s head whirls through dozens of possibilities, too many to list off all at once, but knowing she may not get another chance to access the archives for a while.

“Do you know your father’s name and such? I can download some of the saber artes lessons in advanced for when you get to the appropriate levels. Type his name in…”

The blonde Padawan nods, and her fingers dance across the keypad more quickly this time, the chance igniting a fire in her.

Javen Serex Callahan
Jedi Status: Self Resignation
Jedi Rank: Jedi Knight
Last Known Location: Leaving Dantooine Temple

Goes into default notions then such as his Master, but his record is smaller

At the sight of the commonality in their locations, and the status of ‘alive,’ Callista’s excitement only builds even more.

“Dantooine again! And he’s alive!” Her face falls in momentary terror as she recalls the previous record.
“But mom’s said ‘Unknown’…! …No, no that doesn’t mean anything, they were both at Dantooine! All the more reason to go. They must be together!”

Her body tenses in a moment of barely-restrained exhilaration, until she shuts her eyes and forces herself to stop and breathe, to calm down. Sandra blows some of her own hair aside and makes notes of her own on a datapad before getting some lessons for forms 1-4 and their beginner and moderate lessons. She picks out studies from Jedi who made nicer lessons of said form practices and lecture

“Alright, we can go to Dantooine when you are ready. Is there anything else you would like to do here…?”

It takes her a moment to consider that, deciding this should be the last request for now. Callista turns her eyes to Sandra and asks finally,

“…Do you think they have any lessons about using the Force to influence nature? Plantlife and stuff?”

“I believe this is an arte that is a combination of intense study and genetic disposition. There is a notation on an art like Force Animal Control, which delivers a peace to hostile animals. I will grab that for you…”

Gets the data for some ideals on how to use this arte. Callista nods and takes a breath, glancing around the archives once more.

“Alright…that’s all for now, then. I can come back another time, with Beryn maybe, or next time you come…thank you, Sandra.”

Sandra closes the terminal and logs out. She looks to Callista and smiles a bit.

“Shall we be on our way then?”

Callista returns the smile with deep gratitude and nods, her elation tamed for the moment.

“Yes, I’m ready.”

Sandra drops off some of the vids she herself had borrowed for training on Tatooine to the librarian droid. They make their way through the Temple and get back on the ship.

The ship starts with no issue and they are soon looking on their farewells to the MegaCity. The time to Dantooine is much further though and while it is one Jump, it is almost a 6 hour trip. Sandra changes into her normal trouble making outfit and returns to Callista to see how she is. Her own hair is tied up in a ponytail for now. Callista is curled up in a chair at the table, fingers idly twirling her Padawan braid while she looks ahead over the Shah-tezh demesne in front of her, though her eyes seem to stare right past it rather than at it.

“…I’m close…” she says aloud without looking up to Sandra, her emotions a palpable, inconsistent haze of conflicting highs and lows. She seems outwardly calm, but even with Sandra’s inability to read minds, she can tell that the young blondie is anything but. “…I’m closer than I’ve been in eight years…”

Sandra comes over and runs a hand in Callista’s hair gently and whispers of Rothel’s journey.

“…Rothel found his truth in finding his old friends and family. He came out stronger in the end and found his deepest calling. I do not know what is to come from your discovery, but ah…I will do my best to support you.”

“…Thanks, Sandy…” Callista breathes a soft sigh, letting go of her braid to reach back and clasp at Sandra’s hand.
“…I wouldn’t be here without you in the first place. I just…what do I even say, when we finally find them? Will they…recognize me? What if I’m not…what if after everything, I…I’m not their little girl anymore…?”

“…Sometimes the best plan is none at all, Cally. It is best to follow the trail and see where it goes. It may or may not be pleasant, but for each moment… let it happen.”

Sandra kneels next to Callista and stays with her as quietly as she wishes.

There are no tears, only quiet contemplation as she works through her feelings for a time, gratefully accepting Sandra’s soothing presence. She smiles faintly. Finally, after an hour or so of periodic, gentle chat, slowly turning her mind to other things as the wave of uncertainty lowers to more tolerable levels, she thanks Sandra once more and pulls her legs up to meditate for a time.

The next few hours are spent as such, as well as running through lightsaber drills and working through the basic stances and guard positions of Soresu, slowly cycling through them to build a muscle memory for each of them. Sandra spends her time cleaning her lightsaber, her blaster, checking grenades, and studying Callista as she does form practice for critique later. Otherwise, there is not much else aside from a bit of laying her head down on her arms on the table.

The time comes… they ding and then head to the cockpit to man their stations coming into Dantooine, the planet of planes, farms, and situational troubles. Callista focuses herself on her co-piloting duties more than observing the planet this time. She is bracing herself, calling on her training and discipline at last rather than allowing her emotions to run wild. The time spent in meditation and focused training appears to have helped her center herself.

They make a faster decent as the air traffic was very low. They land on a Dantooine Jedi Enclave with some moments of sending information to them. As they let down from the ship, there are only a few Jedi compared to Coruscant.

"This is the Dantooine Enclave… small, but homely.*

“It’s nice. I think I could get used to this more easily than Coruscant…who should we talk to here?”

Callista climbs down out of the ship and looks around curiously, noting the reduced traffic and the apparent greater presence of non-Jedi in the area.

“…A particular Jedi I know. His name is McDevan… Has a knack for watching people and comings and goings. Keeps to himself. He is quirky for a Jedi or person in general. Shady for a Jedi…”

“McDevan…alright. What does he look like?”

Motions to the right as he stares at them. The fellow has long black hair and is rather pale. He holds two datapads in his arms and makes immediate eye contact with them. He stands fairly tall. A good 6’4. He looks like he’s watching and feeling everything around him.

“…Polite fellow.” Sandra murmurs

Callista looks up with surprise to the man, having noticed his presence but not thought much of it. She looks him over a moment and approaches him steadily, glancing back Sandra’s way briefly.

“I can tell…-ahem,- uh, hello! Master McDevan…?”

He raises a brow and looks around. He starts to take off but Sandra force pulls his cloak and he slips down.

“…Why you running?”

“Freaking Shadow. What do ya want?”

“I got a name.”

“Yeah, your name is trouble.”

“…Javen Serex Callahan and Kelia Adrianna Selkin.”

“That’s TWO names.!”

The man’s reaction catches Callista by further surprise, and she looks between him and Sandra with some brow-furrowed confusion. She’d known Sandra was under watch, but hadn’t expected this kind of reputation even for what little she knows of the Shadows.

“Sir, please, have you seen them? I’ve been looking for them for…for a long time now, and the archives on Coruscant said they were both last seen going to or leaving Dantooine. I’m Padawan Callista Selkin. We don’t want any trouble, I promise you.”

She dips into a humbly respectful bow. He struggles up and grunts, dusting off his robes.

“Force is about balance, right? Help me out with a problem and i’ll help you. Fair?”

Callista pauses a moment as she straightens up again, considering the statement.

“…Fair, but I’d like to do this quickly. What do you need?”

Sandra rolls her eyes and slams her fist into a wall next to his head.

“GUAH! O-O-Okay! BANTHA’S FOOT!”

“…Better.”

“L-Listen, just…there was a space battle a few days ago. Two ships.”

“Keep talking…”

“Jedi registered ship was shot down chasing a slave ship, OKAY?!”

“And…?”

Callista gasps at that.

“Landed in the fields! IN THE FIELDS!”

“How much you pay for the salvage…”

“…”

“HOW MUCH?”

“Guaaaah! J-Just…some scrap! the body was taken by some local farmers!”

“Body? BODY?!” Callista blurts in horror. “Where?!”

“H-hey, listen. I had nothing to do with it! West, 5 clicks. Near the Mando refuge and farmer Dakka Estate! Listen, don’t rat me out.”

Callista is gone before he’s even finished speaking, sprinting away through the Enclave as fast as her legs can carry her. Despite never having been there before, she finds her way out with surprising speed, where she leaps onto a speeder bike next to a pair of chatting locals.

Sandra lets the fellow go.

“Let go of the greed thing and clean up. Jedi might think you’re not gonna cut it. Beat it…”

-------------

“I’LL BRING IT BACK!”

She calls frantically as she kicks it into gear and zooms off across the plains to the west.

The planes seem endless. The occasional farmland is pleasant and open. The sweet smells of nature are disguised by Callista’s focus. Alas, heading in that direction randomly does little for her precision. And on a speeder, it doesn’t so long to make the 5 clicks. She eventually finds the wreckage of a Jedi ship. It looks picked clean. There are some drag marks going north and fade in and out between grass and foliage

The speeder slows to a humming stop, and Callista drops off the side to look into the wreck. She spends a couple of minutes peering and poking through the ruined hull, finding nothing. Her heart is pounding, eyes wide, and everything seems painfully sharp and clear. Never once had she been in such a hurry in her life, while struggling so much to maintain control. She begins to follow the marks to the north, putting herself low to the ground, even tracing fingers and hands along the scuffs and grooves in the dirt, casting her senses out in concentrated desperation.

“Show me…show me where…”
she urges whatever will listen, scanning intently not just for the physical trail, but any sign in the Force that might guide her with more clarity.

Her calls are answered.
*There is larger farm house that has a dozen mercs outside with repeaters and heavy blasters. Two of them fire at the farmhouse at all time. There is one or two shots fired back. *

They seem to be covering the North and West side of the building while occasionally peeking at the South side. Grown fields line the East side where they don’t seem to bother with, for now.

“Rikkon! Get em out already!”

“Shut up! I’m shooting!”

“Shoot more, but dont burn the bloody place down!”

“SHUT UP!” fires more

Watching from a distance behind a large stone, Callista looks on with a steely determination that sharpens her mind further than it has been in a long time. Her eyes zip from person to person, marking their location, their aura, every detail in rapid succession, and she draws her blaster pistol from within her robes, a model of her own making barely above the quality one would find in Viscara’s general store. She checks the power cell briefly, making sure it still has sufficient charge.

Lowering herself to the ground, she waits for the moments that the mercenaries are distracted and looking away, taking each opportunity to slink from one piece of cover to the next, making her way around towards the building’s east side. Having followed the trail northward, this starts her toward the south end of the building, making the movement fairly easy overall so long as she avoids any stray blaster bolts. Within a couple of minutes, she’s prone among the grass on the east side, opening up the plasma charge chamber of her pistol. She makes a swift fist with one hand, and the charge regulator circuit inside fizzles and crumples into a useless lump before she closes the outer casing again and takes a breath…now holding what amounts to a small hand-held plasma grenade should anyone pull the trigger.

Sneaking through the grass is successful as everyone seems focused on the house and whatever their goal is. What Callista does end up finding is few broken panels in the sheet metal walls that seem to enter the farm house. A fellow peeks around the corner half-assed in her direction, then walks away.

There’s a tunnel vision that people develop in a fight. They focus on their enemy, oblivious to everything else. The angrier they get, the more intense their focus. There comes a point where the adrenaline is so intense you could land a ship behind them and they wouldn’t notice.

With a slow breath to steady herself, she crawls up closer to the house and further towards the north end. She hides herself behind a set of empty crates strewn about outside, and peers around them to watch the mercs a moment longer. They aren’t far away, she notes. It would be easy to sneak closer, catch them by surprise…

No. Now’s not the time for that, she decides, instead making a quick, Force-propelled dash to the broken panels, slipping through quickly and quietly.

Inside, she sees several pieces of equipment. A Tractor, moisturizer, two packs of large equipment fuel cells, and various other farming tools. She sees a younger lad facing the mercs and peeking out to pop a shot now and then from one or three places. Then there is an old man in his late 50’s leaning against stairs that go up to the housing floor. He has taken a blaster to the shoulder and looks like he hasn’t slept in a few days. He clutches his blaster and keeps his weak eyes on Callista. He tries to weakly aim his blaster at her, but fails.

Seeing the sad state of things within, Callista stows her blaster in her robes swiftly and raises her then-empty hands.

“I’m here to help,” she says, looking around the farmhouse a moment. and then nodding to the older man.
“I’m a Jedi. What do these men want from you?”

The old man’s eyes water.

“J-Jedi… the…woman from a ship. 3 days ago…upstairs. They…want…the woman…”

He slides down slowly to sit on his rear and grunts

“DAD?! Who is that! WHO ARE YOU!?”

“She…Jedi…”

“Please, Dad got hit!”

“Woman…!” Callista’s eyes widen, and she looks upwards, but then her face hardens again. These people need her now. She gives another nod, then points to the farmer’s son while she rushes over to the man’s side and holds a hand against his shoulder, focusing on the wound there.

“Keep holding them off, I can at least keep your father stable and reduce the pain, but I can’t do much better while we’re being shot at…I’ve got an idea, but you might need to get a new tractor afterwards…”

The teen resumes shooting as he does and some of the mercs laugh as several blasters collide with the wall of the farmhouse. Some rip through randomly. The teen grunts and keeps up his shooting. The Old man slowly avoids fatal wounds from Callista’s healing, but it’s clear that 3 days of fighting and the wound’s exhaustion has worn him to extreme degrees.

Callista, as she promised, stabilizes the old man at the very least, and gives him a reassuring stroke across his head before launching to her feet and rushing around the farmhouse. She grabs the fuel cells, some copper wire, and a few tools and quickly works at wiring the fuel cells up together, and then opens the casing of her pistol again connects the wiring there as well to form a full circuit between all of them. Hoisting up her makeshift bomb, she hustles to the tractor and loads the contraption into the floor of the driver’s seat, out of sight, with the pistol resting on top of the seat.

“Alright…where are the keys for the tractor?” she asks quickly, looking over to the teenager. The teen ducks and throws her the keys from his pocket.

“H-Here! What are you gonna do?”

She catches the keys and hops up to the driver’s seat, standing off to the side and sliding the keys into the slot and turning on the tractor.

“No time to explain, I just need you to open the door to let this roll out. Can you do that for me?”

“Y-y-yeah. I can.”

The teen falls over a slight as he runs to the mechanism. He gives a shout and pulls the damaged lever. Slowly…the gate opens from the center and parts left and right. The fine folks outside pause at the sight of the large tractor and look to each other.

“Wuu dat?”

“A bloody tractor, idiot!”

“They gonna farm?”

“SHUT UP! Shoot it! Now’s our chance to get in!”

“We can go!!”

A good trap doesn’t scare people, it makes them curious. A speeding truck makes people scatter. A slow moving truck on the other hand, makes people want to take a closer look. Callista drops from the tractor just after setting it in ‘Drive’ and before she would be seen, flattening herself against the wall. The tractor slowly rolls out towards the mercenaries, and she waits, eyes locked on it through a blasted hole in the wall and waiting, focused on the pistol in the seat.

“Come on…”

The mercs fire at it after their initial wonder of it, but doesn’t seem to do much. One of the antigravity on a let pop and the tractor veers a slight, but moves towards the group.

“WHO’S DRIVING IT?!”

“No one?”

“No ghost in there, idiot!”

“Then do we ignore the tractor?”

“BERRY, go in the shed! We’ll glass this thing!”

“Ya, Boss!”

The Merc starts to move near the tractor in at attempt to go by it. Now. She clutches her hand shut again as she would if she were gripping the pistol herself, and tugs her trigger finger inwards.

Click-vwrrrRRRRR-KABOOOM!

The tampered blaster pistol explodes, and the circuit formed between it and the fuel cells sets them off as well in a large fireball that bursts apart the driver’s cabin of the tractor, sending shards of metal, burning debris, and a heated shockwave in all directions for several meters from the blast. Most of the Merc’s get launched, killed, or stunned from the shockwave. Sandra sees the smoke rise from the few miles away and sighs as she pauses her speeder.

“…Maybe she’s more like me than I thought. Beryn is going to have his hands full with that woman.”

The Mercs meanwhile are down and confused as the last active 4 try to get up and reorient themselves. Callista reels around the corner through the open door, lightsaber in hand now and blazing to life with its warm gold glow. She charges across the field to the remaining few men. Staggered as they are, what shots they do manage to fire are easily knocked aside, and one by one she dances between them, slicing through rifles and making shallow, disabling slashes with light snaps of her wrist.

The son watches and finally drops his blaster as the last are done for. He runs to his father’s side and goes to take him upstairs to lay him on a couch. Panting for breath and looking around at the blazing remnants of the explosion, Callista takes a moment to calm herself from the adrenaline rush of her half-baked plan actually working out somehow. She did it…but there was more to learn.

She stands over the last of the men she cut down, and points the tip of her saber towards him as if in warning.

"Why were you attacking this farm? Who are you after?"

He just crumples. Looks like her bang was more than they could buck. A frustrated sigh, and Callista deactivates the saber, kicking any blasters she comes across away from their owners if they weren’t already sliced apart as she walks away. She hurries back into the farmhouse and closes the doors again before heading upstairs and brushing some soot off her robes.

“Hello? Are you alright up here?”
She calls out as she ascends the stairs, looking around for the old man and his son first…and hopefully, the woman they mentioned.

Upstairs the dad is groaning on the couch and the teen looks to Callista.

“I think he needs a doctor. The lady in the room too. Everyone’s in really bad shape! Dad…he…he tried to help her, but he hasn’t done medicine in a while! Maybe you can help her?”

When Callista goes to the room, she sees her mother. Her left arm is missing from the elbow down and looks to have been patched up. She looks black and blue over most of her body. Only the wrap around her chest and pants are on as it seems the Dad did try to treat her, closing up many cuts and other damages with even things as crude as Tape in efforts to save her. She’s alive, unconscious, but alive…

Callista stares at the unconscious form of her mother for a long moment, everything else seeming to vanish for a time. It’s really her. She’s so badly hurt, but it’s her…!

“Miss? Miss! Can you do anything? Please!”

The son’s voice pulls her back to reality, and Callista blinks, realizing one of her hands has now drifted up to lock into her hair. She pulls it away, looking over to the boy.

“…Yes, I can try. Can you please go find help? I left a speeder by the crash site, you can take it to the Jedi Enclave to the east from there. Find someone there, okay?”

Even as she’s still talking, Callista kneels down beside her mother and passes trembling hands across her body, at first as if to check that she’s real, barely touching. Then, summoning all the focus she can, she concentrates everything on sensing and healing her mother’s wounds.

“Your dad should be okay…I need to see how bad off she is.”

The mother stabilizes some more, but whatever wounds there are seem to already be in recovery. Without being more of a medical master, there is not much else one can do.

The teen runs outside and looks at the redheaded woman in black. She nods.

“Are you here to help?”

“I came for assist a blonde woman. Is she here?”

“Uh…she is upstairs. I have to get a doctor!”

“Use the speeder I brought.”

The teen takes off and goes to a medical center. Meanwhile, Sandra walks up the stairs and looks on Callista and Kellia. Callista stays kneeling beside her mother, staring at her face and barely seeming to notice Sandra’s entrance. Her gaze is full of love, worry, joy, sorrow, relief, and guilt, all at once.

“…Lacie could help if she were here…” she mutters quietly to no one in particular, clutching Kelia’s remaining hand gently.

The young blonde takes a haggard breath and turns around, moving over to the couch where the teen’s father lays, trying to give herself something productive to focus on. Her hand hovers over his shoulder again.

“Hold still, please…”

The Dad just takes the treatment offered from Callista and Sandra goes to look on Kelia, gazing on the damage done from the crash. He just groans until the aches slow and he seems to simmer down

“Thank you, miss…”

“You’re welcome, sir…”

Callista sighs, glancing over to her mother again, looking right past Sandra. “…Was she awake at any point since you found her?”

She was crawling away from the crash site. I heard the crash and I picked her up. I took here back here, but she was in a bad way. Her arm was beyond anything I could do and only kept bleeding out. Otherwise, she ain’t said nothing and been unconscious the whole time aside from some occasional groans. The Padawan stares over at her mother while the man talks, her face mannequin blank but her eyes glistening with emotion.

“…Do you know why those men were after her?”

“No, miss. Mustta been shot down. Maybe someone at the air station knows, ma’am”

A slow, understanding nod.
“Thank you for taking care of her…once your son returns with help, we should get you and her both to the closest medical facility…”

She pauses a moment, looking away from Kelia at last to dig into her pack, from which she retrieves a credit chip, coded for two thousand credits. She hands it to the man.

“Here…this is for your tractor. I know it’s not enough, but…I want to make it up to you, especially after all you’ve done for her.”

The old fellow is in some shock at the credits but in his farm’s condition, he certainly can’t refuse, and smiles

“Thank you, ma’am. May well saved my farm.”

The smile Callista gives in return is one of sad gratitude, and she nods, standing up and looking to Sandra.

“…What do you think? Will she make it?”

Sandra hands her a lightsaber, likely her mothers, and then responds.

“I believe so. One of the thugs had this in their stash.”

Callista reaches out and takes it, looking over the hilt. Rather simple in construction, but elegantly so, elements of it echoed in Callista’s own design. She clutches it tightly, remembering it well, despite the addition of new scuffs and nicks over the past years.

“It’s hers…I remember it.”

She gives a low sigh.
“…This is my fault…if I’d just looked harder, escaped earlier…”

“…Not much one can do for yesterday, Cally. She is here now and may well see what cause these chain of events to begin with.”

With that, a Speeder truck pulls up with three EMTs

“This the place?”

“Yes, sirs! Up stairs! Dad and a woman!”

The EMT’s head up stairs and Sandra motions to the woman and the teen runs to is Dad.

“We’ll take the two on the truck. No more room, so you’ll have to take your own speeder.”

Callista backs off to one side to stay out of the way, providing help as needed with clearing space or the like. As the EMTs carry her mother and the boy’s father out, she walks down with Sandra and outside to the speeder. “Can we follow them?”

Sandra nods and goes to start up the speeder. She motions Callista on the back and gives it a rev to start.

“We’ll follow and we can see where they go.”

Callista climbs on behind Sandra and wraps her arms around the redhead’s waist to hold tight.

“I want to stay with her when we get there.”

--------------------

She peeks back at Callista a moment and they follow the Med Speeder to the local Hospital. The speeders get to the hospital and the mother is taken to intensive care. The hospital emergency waiting room is empty today aside from the two.

After informing the staff of her relation, there isn’t much Callista can do but wait until she’s allowed to see her mother. She paces around anxiously, bounces her heel when she sits, glosses over every magazine and brochure available multiple times. Eventually, she falls asleep with her head resting on Sandra’s shoulder, exhausted from worry.

Sandra keeps Callista close in her sleep. Looking on Callista reminds herself of a past moment. It saddens her, but for now, she closes her own eyes, not to sleep, but to have some calm.

A few hours later, a doctor comes out. Sandra gives Cally a soft shake.

“I have some news for you, Miss.”

Callista stirs gently and sits up, looking intently up at the doctor.
“Yes? What is it? Is she going to be okay?”

“She will need some days to recover properly. You can visit her for an hour before we will let her rest for the time. We’ll call you otherwise with any developments, Miss.”

He goes to let Callista see the freshly bandaged and wrapped mother who lays unconscious. Stepping into the ICU room, Callista shakily lowers herself into a chair beside the bed. Her mother is barely recognizable as she is, but that presence is still there, hiding just beneath the surface.

“…I’m here, mom…” she utters in a hushed, cracking voice, gently clutching at Kelia’s bandaged hand.
“I finally found you. It’s me…it’s Cally. I know…I know it’s been a long time but it’s me, I’m here.”

A moment of silence, tears welling in Cally’s eyes and dripping down her cheeks freely. “You’re gonna be okay…the doctors’ll take good care of you…I…we can go find dad and J-Jace and K-Kassia…we can be a family again…”

Her voice breaks a moment, interrupted by a sob.
“I’m sorry…I’m sorry we wandered off, m-m-mom…we should’ve stayed by the ship, but we didn’t…and I was too slow…I couldn’t…couldn’t get away, and now…I-I’m…s-s-so sorry…!”

The awful lump in her throat prevents her from speaking further for several long minutes, and instead Cally finds herself only able to sit and cry at her mother’s side. She lays her head forward against the side of the bed to be as close to her as she can manage, desperate for the contact she’d missed so much for so long. Even as her eyes squeeze closed, the darkness behind her lids is lit with a glittering starscape of every color she knows, and even some human eyes could not otherwise see. Her senses extend, probing for any hint of understanding or awareness from her mother.

The hour is, as always, too short. The nurses come in for the next round of treatment and gently ask for the excusal of Callista, being as polite as possible. Sandra stands outside and looking at the Dantooine sunset.

Callista trudges out slowly to a stop beside Sandra, eyes distant and unfocused, the rush of emotion having receded to a period of numbness as if she isn’t able to handle feeling anything more just yet. Her arms are crossed in a small self-hug, and she just stands there for a moment, unable to really think much or summon the will to speak first. Sandra puts a hand on her back and whispers after a few minutes of quiet.

“…Let’s go back to the ship, Cally. We’ll return to Viscara for now.”

Callista nods quietly. Around halfway back to the ship, she finally manages to say.

“I left my contact information…maybe she’ll call soon, when she’s awake. …Thank you, Sandra. I…I don’t have words for what you’ve done for me.”

Sandra nods a slight.

“You are welcome. I did make a promise…”

A ghost of a smile passes Cally’s lips. They enter the ship together a few moments later, and not long afterwards they lift off from the Enclave to return. The return is a quiet and somber one. Landing and touching down brings a feeling not of comfort, but an opportunity for reflection and uncomfortable waiting for when the call again may arise…

End Chapter 1

2 Likes

M O O O Music 1 - Legend of Dragoon: Ruined Celes

Bloody Descendant: Chapter 2

--------------------------------------------------------------

In the rainy afternoon, Callista receives a voice message from the doctor of Kelia Selkin.

Miss Selkin,
Your mother has awaken from her sleep and is available to speak with you at your leisure. She is still frail so do take care in speaking with her for short periods.

Thank you,
Dr. Morris

Shore-crashing tides of excited gold and relieved cyan, peppered with glistening pinks and bright greens. Callista listens to the message multiple times to make sure she isn’t dreaming, then rushes out the door of her house. She taps out a message to Sandra on her datapad: She’s awake!

Sandra looks on the message she receives from Callista and returns the message as she goes to warm up the ship.

“Let’s make our way to Dantooine. I have the ship warming now. See you shortly.”

She can already feel something is odd and looks out the window to observe Kho’s tower. Pondering what is to come. A soft sigh is released as some redhair is pushed aside and awaits the lively Padawan.

It takes only a few moments for Callista to make the distance from her home to Sandra’s ship, and she climbs inside quickly. She moves to the cockpit and gives a smile to Sandra, coming to her side and sitting in the co-pilot’s chair.

“Sorry to spring this on you. I hope you weren’t busy.”

Sandra smiles as Callista practically appears in the co-pilot seat with eager energy. She reaches over and pushes some hair from Callista’s face.

“Silly, barely got kept in your haste, hehe. I was not doing anything urgent, just the usual fiddling. Are you ready?”

“Yes, I’m ready.”
Callista smiles gratefully and takes a moment to breathe and steady herself, knowing that the trip ahead will take some time, and rests a hand on her belt, where her mother’s lightsaber hangs beside her own. She then focuses herself on going through her part of the take-off procedures.

The pair make quick work of the calculations and then take off for Dantooine. The flight is quick and fair as they burst into the orbit of Dantooine. The way to the platform closes to the hospital region is chosen. As the ship lands, Sandra looks to Callista.

“Do you know what you will say…? Are you alright?”

Callista looks out the viewport at the landing pad and its surroundings. She takes another bracing breath, running a hand through her long, unstyled hair slowly, more for comfort than anything.

“…I don’t know. I guess I’ll find out.” She stands up from the co-pilot seat and moves towards the hatch, smoothing out her robes and fiddling with her ribbon as if trying to make sure she’s presentable.

Sandra nods and they make their way to the hospital. It is not so busy in the evening in the low population farm area, but the bright doors open and welcome the pair. The admin calls the doctor as she sees Callista and the doctor shows up only a few minutes after their arrival “Welcome. You both came at a good time. She just woke up a moment ago and we finished treatment. You’re welcome to make your way to Room 124. Family only unless noted otherwise.” Sandra looks to Callista smiles, hoping to warm her before big moment

A soft sigh of preparation; Callista thanks the doctor, returns the smile nervously, and chances a quick hug with Sandra before heading through towards the indicated room. 120…122…124. Callista hovers outside for a moment, the door itself seeming like a daunting obstacle all of a sudden, the final barrier between her and starting to reclaim everything she’d ever lost. Her lips squirm a moment, and she gingerly pushes it open, peering inside.

Inside lays her mother, and while still wrapped a fair bit, not nearly as much as the week or so ago. Her hair lays over her shoulder and Kelia reaches a hand weakly to Callista after she peeks in. Her eyes are exhausted, but still hold a love of life that a Jedi would hold. “…Ca…lista…?”

Callista gasps quietly. Her gold-flecked eyes widen and shine with love, instantly beset with tears of joy, and her heart skips a beat. At the same time, it feels almost like she’s staring at a ghost. A blinding, kaleidoscope explosion behind the physical world.

"…Mom…!!"
Her voice is breathy and weak as she rushes forward to her mother’s side and takes her hand.
“Mom…I’m here, mom…!”

Callista’s hand is barely squeezed, showing her current state and weakness, but Kelia smiles as warmly as her tired muscles will allow. A broken voiced whisper replies…

“The Force… brought…you here. Relieved.” She takes a breath
“Alive… Beautiful…” Water appears in Kelia’s eyes as she gazes deeply on her daughter

Callista kneels by Kelia’s bedside and smiles with affection, giving a tiny, choked gasp. Her voice returns to her, soft as ever, yet trembling with emotion.

“I was scared I’d never see you again…! I can’t believe you’re really here! How do you feel?”

“…Am fine… but…”

It’s in the nature of parents of sound mind to generally have a dozen questions for their family after being separated for so long, were it even a week, but without any hesitation…the one question that any parent wants to know squeaks out of her mouth. The one that shows the amount of love a mother can have for her daughter…

"…Are… you…Happy?" The hand moves to touch Callista’s hair.

Callista’s breath hitches, and her smile grows. She closes her eyes and leans her head gently into her mother’s grasp.

“…Yes, mom. I’m very happy. I’m happier than I’ve been in eight years.”

Kelia’s arms slowly move to grasp Callista. A soft sigh is given as peace comes over the room. Their embrace is perhaps longer than they realize before Kelia whispers.

“…Father… went…after…them…” takes a breath “Jace…Kassandra…”

“After them…?” The phrasing gives Callista pause, and she opens her eyes and looks to her mother with concern. “What do you mean he went ‘after’ them? What happened…?”

“…Jace…found you. Slavers…he…he fought. They were…ambushed. We…tried to distract them, but their leader. She…she wants…revenge. Captured…and…Javen chased…them.”

gasps for breath a second and calms

“Mom…don’t talk too much, you’re not strong enough yet…! Easy…” Callista squeezes her mother’s arm gently, mind racing as she works through the information.
“Jace found me…when? Where? …Revenge for what?” She winces at her own series of questions immediately after urging her mother not to speak too much.
“…Easy, one at a time. Don’t strain yourself…please.”

“…Saber…Chip…” motions to her lightsaber on Callista’s belt

Looking down, Callista unclips Kelia’s lightsaber from her belt and clutches it a moment, then holds it forward loosely, for her mother to gesture at.
“Show me.”

She taps under the lightsaber. There seems to be a push-release datachip when Callista pushes it in and out. It looks like it would go into a datapad or processor.
“…Diary…read.”

Callista takes the chip cautiously between two fingers. She glances to her mother a moment, giving a sad smile, and stands up, moving around to a nearby chair.

“I’ll read it. Just rest a bit, mom. You need to get better.”
She draws her datapad out from within her robes and carefully slots the data chip into it.

Dated three weeks ago:
Jace thinks he found a cam that caught Callista on Tatooine with a series of people. I did not believe his commentary for the first few days and suggested that he focus on meditation with his sister. He has a fierce determination, but not what I expected in the day when he bought a set of light armor and a blaster. A set for his sister also.
His father suggested that he go investigate first. So they waited.
Date End.

Dated two weeks ago:
Javen found Callista on Tatooine again with another group. But he was disrupted by a sudden call in orbit. Jace and Kassandra found a slaver’s ship similar to the one that took Callista initially so long ago. They got desperate. I’m hopping in my own fighter to help them out. I think they boarded. May the Force be with us.
Date End.

Callista stares at the diary entries for a long time, reading and re-reading them, unable to feel much more than dread at the words on the page. She remains silent for a while. Several minutes later, she looks up to her mother in the bed, eyes full of tormented apology. Watery waves of teal and guilty indigo.

“…I’m so sorry, mom…”

“…Space…station. Close…to Dantooine…” takes a breath “…Send…help.”

The padawan glances down to the page again, and nods after a moment.

“I will, mom. I’ll find them. You focus on getting better…I’ll find them. Then…when we’re all together again…we can catch up. We can be a family again.”

Callista sniffles and fights back more tears, slotting the data chip carefully back into its slot in her mother’s lightsaber, and moves over to embrace her gently again with a reassuring kiss on the cheek.

“I won’t let you down again.”

“…Force…with you…”

“And with you…”
With a slow sigh and a smile, Callista pulls away again.
“I love you, mom. Thank you for…never giving up on me.”

Her eyes close as she sleeps now…

Callista stares at her mother for a few moments before quietly slipping out of the room. She passes the doctor in the hallway and thanks them once again, before returning to Sandra in the waiting area.

--------------------------------------------------

Sandra stands when she sees Callista and they make their way outside before she asks…
“I hope it went well, Cally…”

“It did,” she answers quietly, eyes wandering as she sorts through things.
“But…we have more to do, now.”
She takes a slow breath of the clean Dantooine air, looking around the plains, and towards the Jedi Enclave, then up to the stars. Her face hardens with determination.

“They have my brother and sister…and my dad went after them. I have to find them, Sandy. I promised. She mentioned a space station nearby…are you with me on this?”

“I was with you the moment its thought was in conception. We can get in orbit and do some sweeps for the station. Are you ready…?”

She nods, turning to Sandra with a light smile.
“I am. Nothing’s getting in my way now.”

They make their way into space and there is hardly any sign of anything after about 4 hours of searching and scanning. Hunting for a hideout in a large area with a lot of space to cover is less about skill than it is about man-power. It doesn’t matter how good an operative you are, when it comes to a searching, the more people you have on your side the better.
Sandra looks out in space as several scanners run. She sits sideways in the captain’s chair with a caff in her hands. She sighs as the scanning from the small ship is fairly slow.

Callista barely attends to the cup of caf Sandra retrieved for her, keeping her attention on the screens with the scanner feed. Even after so long, sitting idly by would feel wrong to her. Despite knowing it to be a long shot, she casts her senses out into the void of space as far as she can manage, stretching her awareness in all directions to search for anything at all, any sign of life, disturbance, or the distant glimmer of any familiar presence. She tries several methods, even attempting to use what Sandra had suggested some time ago — focusing her efforts into her visual field and slowly sweeping around in all directions, giving her a more concentrated ‘cone’ of detection that lets her extend further outward. Something has to work, she tells herself. They will find this station.

Despite Callista’s desperation to find something from sheer will, there is little one can do. While Sandra is used to waiting hours in a hot speeder with nothing but a bobblehead on the dashboard to be her only stimuli outside of the operation, it is clear that Callista is eager. Sandra looks to Callista.

“…I know it is hard to wait and attempt to find many ways to find the station, but it will take some time. This is one of those moments where patience and meditation will do more to help them than it seems. Once we find the station, the time for meditation and peace will be over. We’ll likely have to be in a place with many hostiles and we must mind your family also.”

Callista’s senses shrink back inward, and her expression softens with disappointment, but she nods quietly and sips at her caf.

“You’re right…like always…sorry. I’m just antsy.”

Leaning back in her seat at last, she looks over to the former Jedi beside her, watching her for a while. A flicker of a smile crosses her face. A short while of waiting later, she gets up from the co-pilot seat and moves to seat herself on the floor, legs crossed and eyes closed as she makes an effort to center herself and find her patience again through meditation as suggested. It takes her some time still to settle down, but eventually her breathing calms and her muscles relax. She falls into serene silence at last.

While Callista meditates, she peeks at Callista and runs a hand in her red hair. Her thoughts are her own at that moment, but it is another 3 hours before Callista senses something at the same the scanning beeper goes off.

“Callista, we have a hit…”

She pulls up a screen for callista to see. A sleek black plated glimmer barely visible in space. There are glimmers of steel and dura-plate but they look like stars from a fair distance. Several ships seem to be…leaving? But Callista feels a curious presence on the base, yet unidentifiable. Regardless, Sandra looks to Callista.

“Whatever is happening inside, someone is leaving the party. We may need to enter away from where they are exiting.”

Callista opens her eyes and looks out ahead at the barely-visible station. She nods.
“That feels like the right place, though. Can we pull in slow, circle around a bit and get a better look?”

They get a good view around the station and make two rounds. More than 23 small ships and transports have taken off. The last one exits the field on fire and is put out by the vacuum of space before rushing on with the other line. There is a back entrance and side entrance, but what they are for seems unknown.

“Looks like we’ll have to pick a side to enter aside from the one everyone is leaving from.”

The blonde gives an agreeing nod, and gestures towards the side entrance on the screen.

“Let’s try there. I wonder what’s going on in there that there’s so many leaving all at once…and did you see that one that was burning?”

Her worry for her family is audible in her voice, but outwardly Callista makes an effort to stay even and measured.

“Looks like someone is having a bit of troublemaking inside. Alright, let’s move in. Engaging semi-cloak field.”

The ship turns on a moderate temporary cloaking shade and begins its run to land inside. They make their way at a crawl to slide into the atmosphere field. They enter and no one is in this side. But there are some crates that may suggest this was used for cargo or drop offs of some sort. The ship lands quietly and uncloaks. Immediately when they get off the ship, there are two sliding doors. One that goes North in the base and one that goes West.

Callista looks around curiously and cautiously, eyeing the doors. She moves over to one of the crates nearby and unseals it, peeking inside. Inside the various crates are spices of various sorts and some blasters of cheap illegal make. Callista finds a particular crate with a few datapads. When powered on, it is a list of names for various ransom, abductions, and potential slave market sales.

Her eyes harden, and she takes the datapad as well as one of the blasters, then moves over to the closer of the two doors, facing west.

“A record of names on the datapads,” she mentions as she steps up to the controls. She stops before opening the door, however, looking to Sandra for confirmation.

“Let’s see if we can find the people for these names.”

Sandra gets her blaster and comes to the opposite side of the door before Callista opens it. The West doorway seems to be filled with the sound of shouting and people shouting to be released. There’s sounds of Heavy Repeating Blaster fire and various screams. Some foot steps are heard in this hallway also. Seems the pathway is getting more sound from the right of the door.

“Sounds busy…”

“Who are they shooting at…?”

Callista peers around the corner through the doorway and cautiously starts to move through, looking all around and extending her senses as she holds the blaster in front of her, focusing towards the greater concentration of noise to the right.

Callista would sense an extreme amount of Dark energy being expelled and used. With flair ups of her read, there’s a sudden amount of death. Sandra gets to the first corner and motions her to see.

“They are fighting something scary…?”

*Four heavily armored and heavy blaster stand in a line and in fear. Two visually shake and await. Callista gulps quietly at the things she feels happening ahead, and she peeks around as well. She watches the four armed figures for a moment.

“Should we step in? Whatever’s attacking them is very…very dark…could it be a Sith? But why would a Sith be going after slavers…?”

“Sith could likely view this as a profit venture. I cannot say either though. Who ever they are waiting for, they are about to wet their armor. If we remove these fellows, we may well be the ones who have to deal with the issue next…”

“…We shouldn’t just sit back. Let’s take them down, Sun Djem strikes; destroy their weapons. I’ll take the left two.”

Callista slinks forward, shifting her blaster into her off-hand and grabbing her lightsaber hilt in her main hand. She creeps ahead as quietly as she’s able to at a quick pace.
Sandra takes our her saber and makes her way up with Callista. When they get to the pair who are fearfully staring down the hallway in fear, She pushes the feet of the right two guards and as they fall backward, a single sided saber slash parts the two rifles. Two remain for Callista as they act in tandem.

Callista ducks forward and around the closest one’s side as he turns to look towards Sandra, swinging her lightsaber vertically and activating it mid-motion to slice through the barrel of the weapon. She tucks and dips to lash out with a kick to the remaining man’s gut, and with a quick pivot her blade cuts through his rifle as well. All four men disarmed, Callista pulls back from them and raises the blaster she’d taken, pointing it at them.

“Hands up. What’s going on here? Who are you waiting for?”

“More laser swords?! Don’t kill us, man? D-Don’t do it!!! AAAAAH!!!”
“I just took this job as a quickie!”
“I wanna go ah hooommaaa”
“What do you want, eh? Damn laser jerks!”

“I won’t kill you, just answer the question! We just got here; who’s attacking this station? Quick!”
Callista narrows her eyes and deactivates her saber, but keeps the blaster pointed cautiously.

"AAaaaAA!"
“Crazy man, okay! Says something bout, “GIVE THEM BACK” and something!”
“He’s nuts, NUTS, just like you two!”
“Come on, just let us live! I’m not even paid this week! Let us evac!”

“…Oh no…”
Her eyes widen, and she lowers the blaster. Callista seems distant for a moment, terrified. Then, clenching her teeth, she flings an arm to one side and points down the hall.
“Go! Get out of here and don’t you DARE ever do work with slavers again!”

They practically crawl and scuttle out of the way. Sandra gives one’s leg a slight kick as he runs by and he yelps. There’s another burst of dark energy and more screams, along with more sounds of heavy repeating shots. Sandra nods to Callista and both head down the hallway. As they get close, they see various plasma scoring, heat lashes, blaster burns, and bodies down the next turn leading to the north sector. But in that hallway, they see several jails and cages open.

“…Bad day…” Sandra mutters lowly

Callista grimaces at the sight, and rushes ahead quicker, repeating under her breath,
“Dad, no…no, no, no…dad…!”

She breaks into nearly a full run, easy enough for Sandra to keep up with but certainly in a hurry. Sandra winces when she runs off. Callista makes it to the next bend, but suddenly Sandra pulls her back with the force rather hard. Lightning sings down the bend Callista was just about to enter and into the wall near by with some residual spreading. More screams are heard.

“Oy…mind the pace. We’re disadvantaged here…”

Callista staggers back at Sandra’s tug and almost falls down, gawking at the arc of lightning zapping into the wall. She gasps in alarm.

“No…no, Dad, no!” She moves up against the wall and peers around the corner carefully, dreading what she might see.

Her Dad is opening jail after jail looking for his children. Various bodies are all over in their attempt to stop him. Small fires are broken out all down the hallway and even more their opposite direction. He looks to have various scorings on him, running on will power and determination to save his children. A few more meters down the hallway, he stops after pushing a skinny guard into the metal wall as it spews exhaust. He looks into this particular jail and stares into it.

“That is…not good. I would suggest calling to him. When you have his attention, I will slip by and see if anything else is further down the hallway.”

Callista gulps quietly and nods, rounding the corner and stepping forward into the open.
“DAD!” she cries out to him in desperation and anguish at seeing her father in such a state. "Dad, what are you doing?!

M O O D Music 2: Legend of Dragoon - Shana’s Theme

The equivalent of the Hulk hearing Black Widow’s voice is the dynamism of this moment. A rage filled face looks to Callista and he freezes. There is a moment of sadness in his eyes as the wheels turn to figure out who called him father in his blinding rage.

Callista stares ahead at her father and steps forward, eyes streaming with pained disappointment.
“Dad…it’s me, Cally…I’m here…you can stop now. We can…we can find them together, you don’t have to do it like this…!”

He slowly turns to her, and she can see the pelts of blaster shots on his body. Whatever is left, is running on fumes for the sake of his children. Javen speaks…

“Is that you? Callista…? Am I seeing things now? Is this my final song to see the one I loved so?” His eyes water and he leans on the jail he guards,

“It’s me, dad.” She rushes forward, dropping the blaster from her hand and holding her hand out to him, palm open and inviting.
“Let me heal you, please. You’re hurt. Then we can find them together, okay? It’s not too late.”

He takes a step forward and coughs out blood before smiling warmly. Two fellows turn the corner behind him, but Sandra managed to slip by them in their family moment and sends the pair back down their own hallway and she goes to engage, leaving them with time to talk

“Callista… How did you find us? Where cough have… you were on Tatooine this whole time? How…?”

“No, dad…it’s a long story, just relax a moment.”

She hugs him gently a moment and kneels on the ground, beckoning him to do the same as she passes her hands over his obvious wounds and concentrates on pouring healing Force energies into him, repairing the damage she can. After a short time, she starts speaking, explaining softly.

“I wasn’t on Tatooine, no…I was…traded around for about two years before they took me to this place on the planet Altapin…I was stuck there for about three more years after that. I escaped two years ago, and in the past few months I’ve been living on a planet called Viscara. That’s the short version…if you really did see me on Tatooine, it’s because I was there for training. I’m a Jedi now.”

“…My daughter, a Jedi. I…never Imagined the day and here you are. You are…so much like your mother, Callista. They are in the Cell here. You have to help me open it!”

*Kassandra and Jace are unconscious in the cell, barely visible behind the blue field. The Cell itself seems to be fairly strong, but with two lightsabers or a clever mind to slice the lock, it could be done. Callista smiles and nods, looking towards the cell a moment with a rush of relief. She ceases her healing efforts for the moment, giving her father a quick jab with a kolto pack instead, and stands up again. Before moving towards the cell, however, she gives him a serious look.

“Dad…before we get them out, I want you to promise me something.”

“What is it, my dear?”

She casts a sorrowful gaze around the room, at all the carbon scoring, the bodies, the blade marks in the floor and walls and cell doors.
“…Promise me you won’t turn into -this- again, dad…this isn’t what you and mom taught us.”

Before he can say anything, there are a series of explosions in the hallway Sandra was in. There is an ominous sound. The slow rotating and charging of a gatling laser. It goes off and then more explosions.

Sandra shouts "HURRY UP!!!"

“Who is that?” Javen asks

With a grimace, Callista looks over and then just rushes to the cell door.

“Nevermind that! Promise me later!”

She taps at the controls for a few moments and then plugs in her datapad, remembering the days of breaking out of her own cell on Altapin and sabotaging the controls of other ‘students’ in her hall. The system is similar enough to what she dealt with before, and it isn’t long before she’s got the terminal sparking in a self-destructive logic loop that shuts down the force field, and she clambers inside to pull Kassandra out, being the lighter of the two siblings.

There are several more explosions and Sandra slides around the corner, some of her clothes singed from either her own explosions or the gatling laser. She pants and shouts

“You all have to GO!” Sandra sprints over sweating

“I can’t carry anyone. My body is pushed to the limit. I hardly know how i’m standing right now. I’ve loosened my body and now i’m spend. You have to carry him.”

“Now I have to carry a guy. I can’t run well like this. The tank of a being is coming!”
Sandra darts into the cell to fireman carry Jace.

Callista tugs Kassandra out in much the same way as Sandra does Jace, and begins hurrying back for the doorway she entered through.
“Come on, dad! Quick!”

He limps along, barely keeping up as the massive thuds grew louder, louder…LOUDER. This was a beast who would make echos from just the sheer weight alone in the halls. They finally make their way to the hanger they came from and Sandra Force enhances herself to make way to the hatch. She hops up and motions to Callista.

“Help me get the pair up! Hurry!”

Sandra shouts. As she speaks…the door they came from blows open. Callista pushes herself along with the Force as well and hoists Kassandra up towards Sandra before whirling around to the door.

“Dad, get in! Quick! NOW!!” she urges her father, drawing her lightsaber and holding her ground, intending to climb in after him as soon as he’s on board.

Sandra grunts as she pulls up Kassandra. As Callista speaks, the titan points the gatling turret at them.

“You get in first! I’m too slow!”
He’s not even to where Callista is yet, but by then…they hear the whirling of the gatling.
“Get on, Callista! RUN!”

“Callista, hurry on!” Sandra calls out too now in fear for what’s to come.

"No, I’m not risking you now, dad!"

Callista reaches out in the Force and pulls her father towards her, unwilling to chance losing him after so much time. While he’s staggering forward, she shifts into a forward-stepping lunge and shoves both hands out into a wave of telekinetic force directed at the massive being, trying to push his weapon aside.

It’s barely a wave to the titan who had managed to get even make Sandra run. And he opens fire… The father slaps something on Callista’s belt. And being close to Callista now from the Pull, screams and force pushes her so hard and fast up the hatch that Callista almost collides with the roof of the ship.

The lasers rain like a storm…

Callista is flung up into the ship with a shriek, and she desperately throws a hand out, trying to pull her father along with her… Everything seems to slow down. Her eyes meet with his one last time as she lands on the ship floor, still reaching out, but it’s too late. He’s yanked upwards into the ship, but not before a barrage of plasma collides with his body in rapid succession. He crumples on the floor like a rag-doll. Flashing bursts of yellow-red panic and rage amidst deep, anguished purple. Everything else fades — Callista doesn’t even hear her own scream as the hatch is flung shut and the ship whirrs to life and lurches into escape.

This is a moment that Sandra takes for her own advantage. The ship is whirled to life but instead of leaving…it backs up, colliding with the titan of a man. Launching the figure like a toy, then moves the ship forward and launches outward to space Sandra heart races as she pants and leaves the ship on autopilot to Dantooine hospital again, but the runs to attend the shock-collared pair. Her eyes look to Callista as she lays on the floor.

Tears pouring from her eyes, Callista is wordlessly doing everything she can to try and save her father with single-minded focus. Every ounce of energy she has is poured into him as she does chest compressions.

Sandra looks away and removes the shock collar proper now. It’s clear to Sandra that he won’t live, but she knew, from experience, there was nothing she could say in this moment. She pulls Kassandra to the couch and then Jace next to her with a pillow under his head. She pants from the sheer adrenaline and force exertion. Her eyes return to Callista again and she sighs sadly
The loss of loved ones or friends on the field is not something unexpected or unanticipated, but despite all the training and years of problem solving…figuring out how to approach these human moments is always the hardest

Callista carries on her futile efforts for a long time. Long enough to know that it isn’t working, and that it never will, but still she tries. Desperately, hopelessly, in spite of the universe and the Force itself, she tries. Ten minutes, twenty minutes, half an hour…she loses track. What feels like an eternity later, she collapses onto her lifeless father’s chest in exhaustion, unable to move even if she wanted to, and cries uncontrollably, inconsolably, between wailing screams of pure grief as she clutches at his clothes. Some time later still, she is huddled in a blanket at the table, silent and in shock, still an utter mess, whilst Javen is carried out of the ship, a sheet being lifted to cover his face. His final expression was one of contentment at seeing his children one last time.

--------------------------------------------------------

Mourning the death of someone you thought you possibly knew is complicated enough when the person was a trusted colleague or friend; but it’s even more difficult when it was someone you loved. As a spy, you’re trained to do a lot of things that are invested in your training, but it’s the human moments that are the most difficult to attend to.

About 30 mins later, through Callista’s own grief and mind skips, Sandra and Callista are in the waiting room. Sandra waves off anyone who tries to tend to their own scraps or such, and they are left alone. It is another hour before a doctor comes out and takes off his mask

“Hello, again. We have news good, great, and bad. Forgive me, I only need a moment.”

In the moment, he gives a short tale of Kassandra and Jace being in good health and just unconscious and Kelia doing well in her own right. But he notes the loss of Javen as an unfortunate moment.

The light in Callista’s eyes is practically gone, and though she makes appreciative, positive hums at the first pieces of news, her reaction to the verbal confirmation of her father’s loss is only to dip her head lower and shrink inward with a tremble, as if her body were trying to cry but she can’t manage to make a sound. The best she can manage after a few long moments is a breathless, cracked squeak of:
“Th…ank…y…ou…”

All Sandra can think to do is put an arm around Callista and hold back her own tears for seeing her in such a way, but she looks to the doctor also.

“Thank you, doctor. Can she see her siblings now? Anything?!” Sandra asks.

“Mister Jace is awake. If you have it in you, Miss Selkin, you may see him.”

“Hear that, Cally…? We can see your brother, okay?” Sandra whispers softly to Callista

There’s a moment of further silence, Callista seeming unable to even breathe before her body finally lets her gasp in some air and she nods.

“O…kay…” She stands up, weak and limp, and shuffles along, following the doctor to Jace’s room.

Sandra minds her as she goes, but doesn’t enter the room and stands aside to speak with the doctor. Meanwhile, Jace smiles weakly and gives a strain to sit up and even dares to get out of the bed to approach Callista when she’s in the room

“Ey, sis…” He says weakly and throws his arms around Callista as if he would shield her from the universe.

“Jace…!” Callista whimpers his name and returns the embrace, comforted by her brother and clutching at him as if afraid he’d vanish if she let him go. She shakes, burying her face against his chest.

“I…I love you, big brother…I’m sorry…! I’m sorry I couldn’t…I couldn’t save him…!”
Her voice quavers and blends together in choked and blubbering sobs, looking to him like she may as well be the same ten-year-old girl she was last they’d spoken.

He rocks her in his arms and takes a moment to let his own tears fall, but he nods and finally speaks.

“Naw, sis. I went in and thought I found you and… and I started all this. I was suppose to protect you and guide you all, but ya know.”

He sighs and runs a hand in Callista’s hair.
“You know, we have to be mom’s pillar. She’ll need Kassy and I a lot more in the days to come.”

“I’m sorry I fell behind…”

Callista shakes her head against him, hearing and understanding his words but pushing through a flood of emotions to say everything she’d wanted to say for years.

“I wanted to f-find you guys so -sniff- so bad when I got away, but I didn’t know w-where to go or what…to d-do and then…”
She babbles at him for a while until finally she runs out of words and just holds him tight, her brain calming enough for her to actually respond.
“…Y-you’re r-r-right…we gotta be there…-sniffle- f-for mo-om…”

Some tears fall and he lifts her face.

“Naw, sis. Look at you. We’re the ones who fell behind. I got greedy and I messed up, but your being here reminds me that the Force brings us together. Father and Mother worked hard for us and we tried so hard to find you for years. We’d didn’t lose hope, but it got grim. I don’t know how you found us or when, but you rolled up doing what I thought I would do. Save you and bring you home to show off to mother…”

Her hands grip tighter at him, biting back a rejecting snap at his praise. She just quivers and heaves a sigh instead.
“…I guess I should catch y-you and Kassia up on…what I’ve been up to…”

“Yeah, when she wakes up. She got hit pretty hard with the stun a few times. But, tell me the story, sis. Tell me everything and i’ll listen to it all.”
He sits on the bed and lets Callista sit on the soft chair near by for visitors and listens to Callista whole heartedly. He holds her hand on and off as she speaks

It takes Callista some time to steady herself enough to speak evenly, but with the warmth and comforting presence of her brother she’s able to push down her grief for a little while and tell him her story. She gives him as much detail as she can remember about her journey from the day she was taken until now. Being sold around, getting shipped to the Altapin Academy of Service, being groomed as a house servant, then a bodyguard, then a killer. Her escape, her time with Rowler and the Stormhawks, then arriving on Viscara and joining the Jedi Order and training to become a Padawan, using the Archives to find information about Kelia and Javen, and so on. It takes her quite some time to tell it all, but it pours out of her with increasing ease as she keeps going. Finally, she takes a breath and smiles sadly to Jace.

“…And then mom told me about the space station…and Sandra and I went looking for it. And here we are…”

He takes a fair moment to let the wheels turn and nods with the last part.

“That is some kinda journey. I’m sorry I couldn’t be there to give you all the brotherly things that I wanted to give and to do with you. Now you’re a proper Jedi with a Master and friends. That is beyond amazing.”

The doctor peeks in now.

“Hello everyone. It’s time for the offices to close. Night time and sleep time for you.”
Narrows his eyes at Jace and he scratches behind his head, having gotten up and moved without permission

“Guess this is it for now, sis. I’ll call you when everyone is awake and we can have one more pow wow, alright?”

“Yeah…big bantha hugs,” Callista gives an exhausted smile and hugs her brother once more before pulling away and reluctantly following the doctor out with a wave.

---------------------------------------------------------

Sandra awaits outside, staring at the stars as she waits for Callista. She had spend the time speaking with the doctor and figuring out what to say to her in the return. It turns out that the thing she needed to say was a thousand times simpler than she could ever imagine and looks to Callista when she comes out of the hospital.

“…How was the visit?”

Sandra looks down a slight and back to Cally quickly.

Callista looks back at Sandra, looking more or less ready to collapse after such a long, taxing day.

“It was…good. I caught him up on everything that happened…and if I can’t be here, he can tell Kassia, and mom…I just…”

She hunches for a moment as an awful wave of grief passes over her again, squeezing her eyes shut to bear the agony.

“…I was so close…I tried so hard…”

Sandra sucks up some air and says with some kind of nervousness, but with care.

“…I’m here for you, Cally…no matter what.”

“…Thank you, Sandy…”

Callista clenches her jaw and wipes her face after a moment, a hand passing through her hair but not lingering and clutching as she would usually do. She takes a slow breath and pulls out the datapad taken from the space station. She stares down at it, and for just a moment Sandra can see flickers and flashes of vengeful hate in her eyes.

“…I want to show this to the Enclave’s Council,” she says after a moment, her voice hardened. “And give them the coordinates of that station. The Order won’t stand for a place like that…not so close…they’ll shut it down. They have to…”

“I doubt anyone will enjoy that I took you to such a place. Can I…send the data for you in an alternative way? Would at least be less of an issue for Beryn.”

Callista nods somberly.
“I didn’t want to mention you anyway. If you know a better way to get the information to them…by all means.”

She looks up and hands the datapad to Sandra, her expression faintly pleading.
“Just…do it before I do something myself…”

“…Understood. Let’s…go back for now. Everyone needs rest and …various means of recuperation.”

She motions to the ship the landed fairly closer as to get everyone to the hospital faster. Nodding, Callista follows Sandra back into the ship, resigning herself to head back to Viscara despite how much she yearns to stay close to what remains of her family. Still, they have her contact information…she takes comfort in that.

The comfort is one she must keep. The ship ride back is quiet and dark, but there is hope in knowing that Callista did manage to rescue her family and find them. Now, for what it was worth in the end, or in what way that was, they were together. What comes next will be for the Force and Galaxy to decide as the pair land back on their little slice of…‘haven’…

End Chapter 2

4 Likes

Bloody Descendant: Chapter 3

Mood Music: Chrono Cross OST: Ephemeral Memory

The weeks pass and the time for the call comes to Callista’s device. A voice message from the doctor on Viscara explains that the family is about to be discharged and are available to meet before so.

Callista, sitting by the river in the Viscaran wildwood, peers down at her datapad as it chimes, and her eyes widen. A bursting sparkle of warm, happy reddish-gold and bright cyan, swirling around little spiraling trails of muddy yellow-brown guilt. Had it really been so long? And she hadn’t visited again in all this time?

She stands up from her meditation and starts making her way back towards the wildlands, staring at the message for a while before lifting her commlink.

Sandra, are you free?

Sandra is laying in bed, staring at the ceiling of the ship. She thinks about the darker days and times as she reflects. The quiet screams that were never heard when she was doing her Shadow’s deeds are interrupted by the beep of her datapad on the bedside table nearby. She smiles a bit to see Callista’s name and answers.

I am free. Are you well?

My mom's ready to be discharged from the hospital, and they're getting ready to leave. I'm going to go see them before they do. Do you want to come?

Callista carries on walking, moving from the woods to the plains in front of the colony and heading towards her house. The red-gold and cyan flutter and dance around her, but slower now, as a sickly cloud of pale greenish nervousness billows its way into the mix of her aura.

At this point, Sandra had been avoiding the family, since it was really none of her business and it was never wise for someone like herself to become involved in anyone’s family, but there was an odd twist in her own stomach. Butterflies? Surely not… she’s dealt with far worse things that would make normal people deposit in their trousers in a second.

…Right? Why was she… nervous?

Ah, alright. I'll warm up the ship in a moment. I hope they are all well. See you shortly.

Callista gives a faint smile at seeing the response and steps into her home, moving quickly so as not to keep the redhead waiting. She moves to one of the several bookshelves around her home and pushes aside some of the holo-tapes and books there to reveal a small wooden box, which she pulls out and places on a table. She opens it up with a bracing breath and lifts out her mother’s lightsaber, with the diary data chip still slotted into its base. She clutches it firmly but tenderly in her hands, taking great care as she clips it to her belt beside her own, then heads back out the door.

A few moments later, she climbs up the hatch into Sandra’s ship with a light knock.

Sandra smiles gently and throws Callista a fingery wave, then motions to the ship’s cockpit and gets the ship going. The jump to hyperspace is simple and they burn skies…

“Are you ready to meet them in recovery? Nervous…?”

“Y-yeah, kinda nervous. I feel like I should’ve visited them more, you know?”

Callista toys with her hair a moment in her fingers, looking out the viewport to the swirling hyperspace tunnel ahead.

“But I’m glad they’re better… not that Kassia and Jace were that bad off to start with, mostly just mom, but it’ll be great to finally have more of a chance to talk with them…and you can finally meet them!”

Sandra sits up straight at the final notion.

“Uh… m-meet them? I ah… it would not be odd?”

She fiddles a bit nervously at her red hair and peeks down.

“Odd? No! Why would it be odd? You’re the reason I was able to even find them! You helped save them!”

Callista gives Sandra a warm smile and slides over beside her to wrap her in a sideways, one-armed hug.

“I get you’re nervous, Sandy, so if you really don’t want to then it’s fine, but… I want them to get to know you, and you, them. For lots of reasons.”

Sandra swallows some air and blushes faintly

“O-Okay… I shall d-do so. I hope they think well of me…”

Callista calms some of her nerves as she reaches over with one hand to type in the exiting line of code before looking to Callista again, smiling in return. The ship exits into space over Dantooine and the ship is taken to the dock by the hospital.

They make their way to the building and sit in the waiting room. The doctor shows in a timely manner. There are some other guests in the waiting room today and they seem mellow enough.

“Miss Selkin, your family is waiting for you in a private room as we gather the final notes and forms for release. In the meantime, we hope you have a fruitful reunion and thank you for your patience all these weeks. You or both may go see them.”

“Thank you, doctor.”

Callista gives a grateful smile and stands, smoothing out her robes and giving a hopeful smile towards Sandra.

“Here goes…!”

Sandra takes a breath and goes to follow, running a hand in her hair a few times to smooth it out. Callista enters the meeting room with her family around a circular table, a turned-off flat holo-screen on the wall and a small window for some light. The family stands and smiles to the sight of their beloved daughter and sister.

The eyes of her mother are the first to meet with Cally’s and there is a warmth that cannot be described. The sensations of belonging and home are present.

“Callista…!” Is all her mother could muster as she goes to approach and embrace her.

“Mom!” Callista’s face brightens with the incomparable relief and loving joy of a child reunited with her mother, and she rushes forward into Kelia’s arms, throwing herself into the embrace. A few tears of joy trickle down her cheeks, and she gives a breathy exhale and squeezes tightly, as if refusing to chance losing her mother again.

It’s an odd moment for Sandra to witness; now that Kelia is largely recovered and mobile, no longer marred by blood and bruising, she really is a mirror image of her daughter — albeit notably older, and now bearing a cyber-prosthetic for a left arm. She wears the age gracefully, though, and her bearing is rather different. Even while embracing her long-lost daughter, Kelia has a steady, quiet confidence befitting a Jedi, and a smooth grace to her movements.

“I’m sorry I didn’t come visit sooner, things’ve just been so hectic and my head’s been all over the place! I’m so glad you’re doing better! How’re you feeling? Can you talk okay?”

Callista looks up at her mother, who is taller by a few inches, with a deeply invested concern and interest under her smile.

A gentle hand moves through Callista’s hair.

“Yes, dear. Everything is fine, and I have recovered quite well. I am feeling better physically. Dealing with your father’s passing has been difficult, but he is with the Force. Everyone has been thinking of you, and now we are finally together again because of you and your efforts. Thank you, Callista, and forgive me for not being able to reunite us as a proper mother should.”

Sandra looks on everyone as they gaze on Callista. It is a curious thing to see a family together; but it is nice to see their love for Callista.

“That doesn’t matter. What matters is I’ve got you g-guys back…”

Callista’s voice cracks as she tightens her hug around her mother once more and peers past to her siblings.

“But it’s not all me. Sandra’s really the one responsible; without her I couldn’t have found any of you.”

She wipes at her eyes lightly and turns to look back towards Sandra with a smile.

“Mom, Jace, Kassia… meet Sandra Mana. She’s my…um…”

With a faint blush and a sheepish smile, she nervously hesitates.

There’s a moment of stammering silence as Callista stumbles over exactly how to identify Sandra to her family. A teacher? A friend? A lover? Muddled confusion tints the world with yet more nervous, pallid yellow-green. Her mother tilts her head slightly, with a glance towards the redhead in building curiosity.

A slow smile spreads on Jace’s lips, while the lighter ginger-haired Kassia steps around the table and rests her hands on her hips.

“Well? C’mon, spit it out, Cally.”

“Kass, give her a sec…”

Jace elbows the middle sister lightly, to which Kassia sighs impatiently, her hair drifting over her face to hide one of her grey-blue eyes. She does give a faint half-smile, however, glancing back to Callista.

Callista huffs a breath and nods, pulling back from her mother a bit and looking at Sandra completely now.

“Sandra is… she’s very important to me…”

Kelia silently lays a hand on Callista’s shoulder and squeezes gently; the young Padawan turns to look at her, blushing anxiously still, but her mother’s face shows not a hint of judgment – only motherly care and reassuring warmth.

“It’s alright, Callista. You can say it.”

The encouraging, permissive words seem to bolster the blonde, who takes a quick breath before blurting out…

“I love her! A-and I wanted you all to meet her!”

Kelia smiles and pats Callista’s shoulder; Jace and Kassia’s eyes turn to Sandra with some appraising surprise, looking her over. Kassia is the first to speak, stepping forward a little closer to Sandra.

“Wow…uh…well hi, I guess. So you’re like Cally’s…girlfriend?”

Sandra’s face blushes when Callista blurts out this statement so directly. She shuffles a slight in place and gives a slight curtsy to the approaching woman.

“Ah… hello. I …I am Sandra Mana,” stated gently and politely, though nervously.

“That wasn’t a ‘yes’…” *Kassia mutters slightly. *

The redheaded middle sister is about Sandra’s same height and close to the same age, perhaps slightly older, but with more of a brownish-red tone of hair and steely grey-blue eyes. Her style is plainer, a bit tomboyish. Once more, though, the brother interjects.

“Wasn’t a ‘no,’ either. It’s nice to meet you, Sandra; Cally told me a bit about you after last time. Thanks for helping us all out.”

*Jace, the eldest, steps forward and offers a handshake in greeting with a slightly awkward but welcoming smile. His light brown hair, echoing their father’s, is short and loosely styled, with solid blue eyes. Of the two, he seems like the more polite and disciplined one. *

He adds in a whisper, “Sorry about Kassia, she doesn’t have much of a filter.”

This seems to be a personality type that comforts Sandra and with a slightly shy smile, she offers her hand elegantly in return.

“It is not an issue. Ah, thank you for your kindness. Callista means much to me, so it was a pleasure to assist how I could. It does me well that she could reunite with her family…”

Jace shakes her hand firmly, seemingly trying to be gentle but still with a decisive briefness to it. Behind him, Kassia folds her arms lightly, seemingly unsure what to think of Sandra. Her lips are curled into an indecisive frown.

“Yeah, thanks and all…shame dad didn’t make it o-”

Kassandra.

Kelia’s smooth and comforting voice suddenly carries a stern, commanding, and immensely authoritative tone that shuts Kassia up immediately. The redheaded sister looks over to her mother with the guilty flush of a scolded youth and shrinks a bit. Callista winces and shrinks a bit as well, but Kelia clutches her shoulder gently still.

Kassia huffs slightly, embarrassed. She twists one foot on the floor.

“…Sorry… I’m just saying he would’ve… probably wanted to meet you, too.”

Sandra runs a hand through her hair and nods a slight. Clearly unsure what to say, she pauses a moment before responding.

“I ah… it is a pleasure to meet you all. I am unsure of what the future holds, but I know that it is better with Callista in it.”

Jace nods, and Kassia echoes the gesture a little reluctantly but still with some begrudging acceptance. Kelia, meanwhile, pats Callista’s shoulder lightly and moves forward, practically gliding across the room towards Sandra. Jace and Kassia move aside out of her path, and she comes to a stop in front of the redhead, looking down at her with a coolly curious eye as if assessing her on the spot.

“Sandra…”

She speaks the name as if testing how it feels in her mouth, and in a moment of odd cosmic confusion, Sandra can’t help but feel a bit strange at the visage of what is practically an older, taller Callista gazing down at her. The differences are subtle - the length and elegantly simple styling of her hair, the bluer tone of her eyes - with the same golden flecks, though - and a few minor variations here and there in the structure of her face. Her metal arm lifts towards Sandra slightly, then pauses, twisting at the wrist with a querying palm-up gesture.

“May I have a look at you?”

Sandra pauses at this question and nods gently. “I hope you find something pleasing…”

With this she relaxes a bit and resumes looking at Kelia deeply into her eyes. The differences from her daughter, while so slight in physicality, tell Sandra clearly that this person was once a Jedi. This alone makes her consider what she would look for, but she allows Kelia to do so.

Kelia’s prosthetic hand raises to softly take Sandra by the chin, her fingers and thumb moving with a little bit of awkward, halting stiffness showing that she still has yet to get fully accustomed to the prosthetic. The Selkin matriarch stares at the redhead for a moment with eyes that seem to pierce right through to Sandra’s very soul. They are kind and gentle like Callista’s, but yet tempered with the experienced wisdom of decades and with an intangible quality that makes her both deeply comforting and unspeakably intimidating at the same time.

“You come from Coruscant, I can hear it in your voice… quiet and shy… you have the bearing of a Jedi. Raised in the Temple, I take it?”

“…Yes. I was raised so and I… I was a Sentinel-trained Jedi. My artes were under subterfuge and various other skills. I had obtained the rank of Master for a time and in the end …I chose to leave the Order. I am um… 20 years of age and I was the one to induct Callista to the Order to begin with.”

Kelia gives a quiet hum of thought, still staring into Sandra’s eyes. Her hand lowers from the redhead’s chin.

“Kassandra’s age, and a Master already… you remind me of myself, in a way, though it may sound arrogant to say. My husband, Callista’s father, was a Sentinel as well. An investigator for a time…a Shadow when I worked with him. It is a difficult path to walk, and one that I sense you have walked with no shortage of troubles.”

Kelia pauses for a moment, tilting her head faintly from one side to the other as she considers something.

“You were a Master once…so I trust you know what it means to have this kind of connection with someone, for a Jedi under the current policies?”

Callista watches from a few feet away, fiddling with the hem of her robes; Jace and Kassia quietly move over beside her, and the trio whispers some things amongst each other. Kelia pays them no mind.

The notion of Callista’s father being a former Shadow… if further installs in her mind that agents like them never die in a pleasant way, but she stows the feeling for now.

“I understand what it means. For better or worse… I have decided what I must do, and she has provided me with support. I can only place faith in the Force and in her. There is much in the Universe to approach and live for and I hope I can live long enough to see the changes we need to. Or… at least I can leave it a better place than when I arrived.”

Kelia nods to Sandra’s words, though her face and tone betray little as to her feelings on the matter.

“As someone who left the Order for love myself, I have no room to judge either of you; I only ask that you act with caution and consideration. There is no shame in having love for another person. You must simply make sure it does not outshine your love for all other things - that is when it becomes blinding.”

Her words echo those of Callista’s master Beryn, and Callista blinks in slight surprise at that, but seems somewhat comforted. The motherly blonde’s largely neutral expression warms into a soft smile, and Kelia gives a slight bow.

“You have my gratitude, and my husband’s, Sandra Mana. Not just for your part in our rescues, but for being there for our daughter and helping her find her way. Jedi or not, the Force has guided the two of you together for a reason.”

Sandra smiles a bit at her commentary and nods gently.

“I shall not let you down. And ah… thank you. I will be around if you ever need anything, Miss Kelia.”

The overall reaction to Sandra seems to bring some peace to her mind and her eyes light up a little with warmth.

“As will I. Don’t hesitate to contact me for any reason, especially if it’s regarding Callista. I haven’t decided quite yet what I will do now that our search for her is over… maybe I’ll settle back on Chandrila again. Jace and Kassia are old enough now to do as they please, and…”

For the first time, Kelia’s both Jedi-like and motherly demeanor seems to crack just the tiniest bit as a little wetness shines in her eyes, looking back to Callista.

“…I suppose Callista is too, now, as much as it pains me to have missed so much of her life. Even a day would’ve been too long. That goes for you too, by the way, dear, don’t be afraid to call or visit, or ask me to come to you! We’ve got a lot of catching up to do, and your father would be very disappointed if we wasted any time!”

Callista looks a bit teary-eyed at that too and she nods and smiles affirmatively; her siblings both hug her affectionately.

“Of course, mom. I’ll call every day, I promise! But, um…a couple things before I forget… another Jedi on Viscara, Althea, wanted to set up a Vigil for dad, since I… I never got the chance to say goodbye. I know it’s been a while now, but…since you’re better now, would you like to come?”

The young woman sniffles slightly and brushes a finger across her eye. Her mother’s expression softens to a deep, touched care.

“Of course, dear. I’ll gladly come. Your father deserves nothing less, and I’ll gladly take the chance to meet the people who’ve been shaping my daughter’s life in my absence. Jace, Kassia?”

Jace gives a quiet nod, but Kassia seems uncertain, her face carrying an unresolved pain and sadness. The tomboyish daughter rubs at the back of her neck.

“I…might come. I dunno. You know I was never that into the whole Jedi thing, and…I kinda wanna remember Dad my own way…but we’ll see.”

Kelia seems faintly saddened by this, if only out of concern for her second child’s feelings, but she nods understandingly.

Callista then reaches down to her belt and gingerly unclips her mother’s lightsaber hilt from its place there, stepping forward and holding it up to Kelia.

“And…here. I held onto it while you were recovering, 'cuz…well, I didn’t think the hospital would want a weapon in your room. I took good care of it.”

Kelia looks down to the hilt with an unreadable expression of mixed emotions, then smiles gently, taking it in her right hand. The left reaches out a little stiffly, quivering slightly, and a moment later another saber hilt rises out of a bag by the table and floats over into her grasp - the one that used to belong to Callista’s father.

She holds the two hilts side by side, gazing down at them with a solemn, but tranquil sadness. Hers is masterfully made, simple and relatively unadorned in design with mostly plain metal color and black accents. It has an ergonomic grip and just a minimal token hint of electrum, simple yet elegant and precise, worthy of any Jedi Master. Her husband’s has more style and flair - a chrome shine to its shell along with a leather wrapping around its grip and eye-catching notes of blue and gold - and is shorter in length. It is not quite as refined, but still of very fine construction.

“Thank you, Callista. I’m glad you kept it safe. These two can be together again now, just as your father is with all of us. Let me see yours…?”

As Kelia stows away both hilts, she smiles when Callista shows her own lightsaber hilt, whose design echoes both of her parents’ in different ways. Kelia examines it a moment and nods to herself.

“A bit rough, but a good first pass at construction. Feel free to ask me for tips when you’re ready to refine it, alright?”

Callista nods sweetly, and Kelia hands the hilt back with a gentle pat on her daughter’s arm.

“Mom…?” Jace catches Kelia’s attention and taps his wrist, to which she gives a hum and a nod.

“Mm, right. We’ve only got a limited time here, so we may have to get going soon. Is there anything else either of you needed to say?”

Sandra ponders this a moment and shakes her head.

“Ah, n-no. I do hope you’ll find time to visit when able. I suppose Beryn will say something about family ties. But I hope you’ll find a fair place to stay after your discharge.”

“Oh, thank you, but don’t worry about me. I can make ends meet. Beryn, though, who’s that? Your master, Callista?”

Kelia peers over to Cally curiously, and the young blonde nods.

“He’s my master, yes. Beryn Mornstrider, a Knight. He actually left the Order to marry, like you did, but he came back after his wife passed.”

Kelia’s eyes shine a moment and her eyebrows raise faintly in recognition.

“Mornstrider…? I think I may have heard the name before, from my own master. I’ll be very curious to meet him. But in any case…”

She pulls her daughter again into a full-hearted hug, which her other children join in on in a sweet display of familial love. Kelia presses her lips in a kiss atop Callista’s head.

“Words can’t express how happy I am to have you back, my sweet little girl. I love you so much, and so did your father, to the very end. I want you to remember that…”

Lowering her voice to a soothing half-whisper, she utters warmly in a faintly sing-song rhythm,

"Though we may part into the night~,

the stars above still shine as bright~,

and wandering far as we might~,

we’re still connected by their light~."

With a gentle squeeze and a rub at Callista’s back, she pulls away slightly and looks down into her daughter’s eyes.

“Your father’s words, of course. Ever the romantic…you remind me so much of him, and that alone is a gift. Take care, Callista…I’ll see you again soon.”

Staring back up at her mother with teary eyes again, Callista’s wobbly smile is full of immeasurable joy and love, different than that which she shares with Sandra but no less powerful.

“I-I love you too, mom. I love all of you…! S-see you soon!”

The Selkin family all exchange a few more loving words and goodbyes, until finally Callista’s brother, sister, and mother all gather their things together and head to the door and leave with some reluctance, Jace at his mother’s side and Kassia lagging slightly behind.

Callista rubs at her eyes a bit, and heaves an emotional sigh, looking to Sandra.

“So…t-that was my family. Jace and Kassia are… different than I remember, but also… kind of the same. I think they liked you. What do you think?”

Sandra blushes faintly and runs a hand through her fiery hair.

“…They are as colorful as you are, hehe. I did not think that I would find the courage to meet them. I suppose now you have a family that is happy and healthy. It is truly a rarity, Callista.”

There is a little giggle as she looks down a slight.

“All I can hope for is for your to continue surpassing their thoughts of you. That together, we can show the universe and them that your smile will do far more than brighten my own heart.”

Callista huffs faintly and moves over to Sandra, pulling her into a hug. “Why are you always so sweet?”

She sighs softly and smiles. “Thanks for coming with me. It means a lot.”

Sandra giggles softly and lets a soft breath release after.

“I am glad that it means so. I hope it brings you peace of mind for what is to come. Let’s go back and i’ll make you some tea. Also… thank you for being …you.”

“Only person I want to be.”

Callista’s smile warms and she takes Sandra’s hand in silent affirmation of her suggestion, walking out side by side with the redhead.

Bloody Descendant - FIN

4 Likes