Specializations, Training, and So Forth for Jedi/Sith

Most of the appeal of the Jedi for RP is the mentor student relationship, and having that over fast only devalues it as a whole. Taking your time with it also allows for a lot more stories then breezing through it too. I don’t see why one would want to skip that stage.

Nah I meant making the preliminary/prerequisite bits a little streamlined or easier. Yeah, I know, in my own case my character did stuff that makes the road to get there longer, overall. I’m not saying speed up the actual RP, I meant to make the getting there to doing it a little quicker, somehow. :stuck_out_tongue: Heh.

Obviously developing that relationship between master and student is a big deal.

Light Side example: Qui Gon Jin and young Obi Wan went on missions together the council sent them on, and in doing so, going to contested worlds and helping settlers and factions settle their differences, arbitrating/mediating conflicts, protecting heads of state and all that stuff they grew and changed which strengthened their bond. Yes.

Dark side counterfoil (alternative): Palpatine grooming Anakin from a troubled youth into a warped tyrant with terrifying destructive power… also took time and multiple journeys into evil to pull off.

I’m not saying that it isn’t or shouldn’t be involved on the actual RP part… you guys kind of misunderstood what I meant. Maybe I wasn’t articulating it properly enough the first time around.

To be fair, this does actually help that process a fair bit. The existing quest for learning Lightsaber construction has already been around, for instance, and that’s kinda how things kick off. With this idea, there will be more beyond that, and more fun involvement with quests and (likely) even more cutscenes like with the Lightsaber quest. Things generally will slow down a bit more when you reach the point of being eligible as a Jedi Padawan/Sith Apprentice. But the stuff up to that point will be entirely down to the player to go through, via leveling Force abilities, Lightsaber, or otherwise, to then take proper quests. At least with the proposed system here.

And again, it’s still likely going to need refinement over time. This thread is to lay all that out and get feedback to aid in the refinement process. However, there will obviously still be things we, as devs, do regardless.

1 Like

How does someone reconise a potential ‘padawan’? Because I am curious as to how that would go for both sith and Jedi on the subject.

1 Like

That particular part is likely something that would break from lore just a bit, in order to make things easier for everyone. It would come down to another quest from Jhoren, possibly drawing off the decision made in the First Rites quest (the Lightsaber one). Likely would require certain Force skills and Lightsaber skill at a certain point, much like First Rites required Force Combat 15 (which is different now because of the changes to Force skills). Once the quest is done, a variable is set on your character which allows you to be picked up by a Knight/Master, likely through a widget or target command.

1 Like

So there’s like a ‘status’ that master’s can see to show they are eligible?

Yeah that would organize it nicely allowing probably for a bit more ease to facilitate things for both the DMs and the players!

Yeah. Definitely makes things easier. Also, exactly Ryudo. A scripted status that would rely on a variable on the character itself.

1 Like

I wasn’t saying go hand me padawanship/apprenticing unearned… I was saying to demystify the process a little and streamline that beastie might be good. Lol

All in all, as well, if people want things to move more slowly, they can just RP stuff out relating to being an Initiate/Acolyte, and just take the quest to become eligible for Padawanhood when ready. People can take it at their own pace with this.

1 Like

Okay, that makes heaps on sense. Though I might suggest a window to see all eligible students so you can see the list of names then go talk to them based on that. It might be better then clicking on them and to check if they are eligible?

1 Like

I personally think that having it be more based on selection is better as, if a Knight/Master is looking to train a Padawan, they can at least check those they may already be eyeing. If they aren’t there yet, for instance, it could create further RP and the like. Don’t really think some server-wide window showing all eligible folks is necessary.

I see where you are getting at, I am just trying to think of ways when eligible students exist but they don’t know any potential masters, but the master’s exist and don’t know th students exist

That’s honestly part of the fun, imo. :wink: It’s how it is right now, as well, tbh. Just without the mechanics attached to it. RP and find out. That sort of thing.

Mechanically allowing masters (and to a bit lesser extent possibly also knights?) to have that option to see a list of force users nearby around… would be a neat way to “sense people powerful in the force” or with force potential. You can so use that as a vehicle to facilitate RP.

Well, there will eventually be a Force Sense ability being implemented, anyways, that will function like that. As far as I’m aware, at least.

1 Like

It’s not hard finding force sensitive people, even with assistance. Generally players who wanna play “Jedi” characters make themselves preeeeeetty obvious. But its the rejection that usually makes people more upset that the accepted. It’s how life works. The Accepted vs Rejected and there’s no fixing that with any system.

I agree with the notion that an NPC can get a person prepped up to a lower degree for a PC training / Padawanship. Maybe with an added quest or two. A PC can pick the “good” or “evil” path of those quests.
(if a PC or DM knight / master are so inclined)

I think the “Sense Evil” skill could be revamped to sense a character who has passed Jhoren’s tests.

1 Like

Likely won’t be revamping Sense Evil, but more-so doing our own. Much like other Force abilities have been custom built. Haha! But still, something to continue discussing and fleshing out. Keep the feedback coming! :smiley:

Okay, keeping my level of counter-eff you umbrage in check… haha.
The widgets and quests part is interesting to consider, yes?

Hmm could people already included in primo factions maybe privilege check themselves a little bit with the overly-defensiveness thing? I know, I know, fat chance.
Yes we all know enough basic high school or equivalent psychology to have an idea of how middle school developmental level in-group bias works. Heh.

Not sure what you mean regarding people needing to privilege check themselves. But lets keep to posts that are relevant to the original post, please. Thanks!

But yes. The idea of the widgets for the training process and quests are a big part of this to pull away from DM involvement being needed.